It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Indexing and Search
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 pm 

Has anyone been successful with index enabled keyword search from a client (e.g. Windows 7 PC) to a MSS on the same LAN running WHS with PP3 Beta?

Note that PP3 Beta includes installation of Windows Search 4.0 on the server. Note also, that Windows Search (from a Windows Explorer window) on a Windows 7 client is designed to exploit index tables generated on remote LAN-based systems, including WHS systems. PC to WHS index-based keyword search is supposed to execute (if I understand correctly) without requiring the Add-In that is apparently necessary for PC to PC index-based search.

I haven't had any luck. In my case, search from a client-side Windows Explorer window, even when scoped down to the specific server-side directory fails to find the target test file. It doesn't even attempt a slow (non-index-based) content search. Indexing IS turned on on the server and IS configured to cover the folder-hierarchy including the test file. Index enabled search behavior is Windows 7 normal on the client PC. I simply get no coverage of the server.

With personal/family data repositories already large and growing rapidly, I would expect much more discussion of index-enabled (fast) search than I see.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Indexing and Search
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:04 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

It seems to work here... If I search for a file from the start menu in W7, I get both local and WHS entries in the "quick" results (i.e. not clicking on "See more results") after a few seconds. No complaints about searching non-indexed locations.

Am I testing this correctly? I never use the search for remote files...

Edit: Searching from Windows Explorer also works, when searching in Libraries.

HP EX470 w/PP3, 8.0TB (2x500GB, 5x1TB+1x2TB WD Green Drives, 2GB RAM), TR4M-B
PC1: Desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
PC2: Media Center, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)
PC3: Desktop, Windows XP Pro SP3 (x32)
PC4: EeePC, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:07 pm 

fulg wrote:
It seems to work here... If I search for a file from the start menu in W7, I get both local and WHS entries in the "quick" results (i.e. not clicking on "See more results") after a few seconds. No complaints about searching non-indexed locations.

Am I testing this correctly? I never use the search for remote files...

Edit: Searching from Windows Explorer also works, when searching in Libraries.

Thanks ... Your system and environment are similar to mine. I will try uninstalling PP3 and then re-installing. It sounds like you didn't ever configure search on either the server or your clients, and it just worked, correct?

... Ted

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:32 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

TCW wrote:
It sounds like you didn't ever configure search on either the server or your clients, and it just worked, correct?

Yep, didn't do anything. I do believe PP3 was installed on the server when I installed the connector on the W7 client however.

HP EX470 w/PP3, 8.0TB (2x500GB, 5x1TB+1x2TB WD Green Drives, 2GB RAM), TR4M-B
PC1: Desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
PC2: Media Center, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)
PC3: Desktop, Windows XP Pro SP3 (x32)
PC4: EeePC, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]