It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:21 am 
Founder
Founder

Due to the likelyhood of PP3 discussions crossing boundaries between hardware, software, troubleshooting, bugs, general discussion, etc, I thought it was best to create a specific forum to cover Power Pack 3. I also don't want to "pollute" the other forums with issues/misinformation that may be specific to the PP3 beta but may be resolved in the shipping version of PP3.

Please keep all PP3-specific discussions here, until PP3 is released and fully mainstream.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:49 am 

First time posting here. Essentially a newbie with the EX470 that I just dusted off and got running again after letting it sit for a year. I put 2GB of RAM in last night. I've been trying to choose which programs I should install to optimize my somewhat antiquated network. I've updated the 470 to service pack 2, and have installed HPs updates except for PVConnect which as I understand is a media streamer I think the term is. I read about the great deal of work you and others did on service pack 2.5 update which brings me to my reason for logging on to this thread. Is PP3 applicable to the EX470, or is 2.5 as far as the 470 will go? I don't even know if they are the same type of upgrade. Any knowledge you could throw my way would be appreciated.

P.S. In addition to the EX470 with 2GB of RAM, I have two PCs that run Vista Ultimate 32. I believe you would call these media extenders? I also have an XP with Media Center Edition. I bought AnyDVD HD a couple of years ago, but haven't made a concentrated effort to put all this together until now. For now I hope to upload about 75 HD DVDs and 150 Music CDs someday. Someone's review on this site of Movie Browser caught my eye a couple of hours ago, but all these choices with my lack of knowledge is kind of overwelming. Again, any ideas you could share would be appreciated. Thanks for you time and efforts.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:33 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hmmm Power Pack 3 is I believe an update from Microsoft that is in beta testing at the moment. Those who have legitimate access to power pack 3 at the moment have agree (in writing) to not discuss it publicly.

The server update for the EX470 to 2.5 is a software update from HP (that HP has promised but has yet to deliver) this is a different beast and from a different source than the power pack 3 update. This update that was for the EX48x has also been hacked and pirated to run on the EX47x.

You may wish to wait till the end of the year and see if HP actually releases their promised update for the EX47x to software level 2.5 and run it. We should know in less than 50 days now...

Power pack 3 should apply to all Windows Home Servers, not just Media Smart Servers.

The Software update to 2.5 applies to just the EX48x at the moment, with the potential for ordering a CD for the EX47x by year end.

Hope this helps....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 am 
Founder
Founder

WHS PP3 is in public beta, and is different from the HP Software Updates. In your case I'd recommend waiting until PP3 is released to the public, and HP has announced that their 3.0 Software Update will be available sometime in December to all previous MediaSmart Server owners.

I'll probably recommend you create a new topic about setting up your home network for the media streaming capabilities, either in the Software or Media Streaming forums.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:53 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
WHS PP3 is in public beta, and is different from the HP Software Updates. In your case I'd recommend waiting until PP3 is released to the public, and HP has announced that their 3.0 Software Update will be available sometime in December to all previous MediaSmart Server owners.

I'll probably recommend you create a new topic about setting up your home network for the media streaming capabilities, either in the Software or Media Streaming forums.

As you are a Microsoft MVP perhaps your knowledge is better than mine? Words have meaning. You state it is in PUBLIC Beta are you stating we are free to discuss Power Pack 3 here? Is that your position as a Microsoft MVP for the record?

The implication of your post after mine and the use of "public beta" has at least the appearance of implying that I am wrong, that Power Pack three is not protected by a sign nondisclosure agreement. That the beta is not of a limited nature, that requires approval by Microsoft.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:52 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Unless you have some NDA info we may or may not know about as we are under NDA :rofl:

You can certainly talk about anything that's on the Public Beta as the info is in the public domain anyway on the WHS Team Blog (http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/arc ... uters.aspx) and also people can sign up on Connect to download it as well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:18 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yup, that's why I linked to the Public Beta release post on the WHS blog (as did Cougar) and why this PP3 forum exists. MS wants people using PP3 and reporting bugs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:48 pm 

Thanks Guys. Since I'm a new user, I think I'll take your advice to wait so as not to create more problems than I can handle. Thanks again for all your hard work, and the sharing of your knowledge.

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]