It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:12 am 

Hi got my lx 195 in March and I'm more than ready to upgrade to a larger drive. My question is there a specifc drive that would be best for this server? I'm thinking 2 tb, been looking at this one,
wd AV-GP WD20EVDS Hard Drive
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-A ... roduct_top

Data is a mix of Video,Music,Photo's and Backup.
Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks

Lx195 base
PC1 Dell 400sc Win XP pro sp3
PC2 Acer Extensa Laptop Vista Home Premium
PC3 Dell Dimension 4600 XP pro

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:54 pm 

Hi ladug2000 welcome to the forums!

Asking which drive is best for upgrading is going to get you a wide range of answers. I like WD Green Drives and Hitachi Deskstar drives myself others have their favorite drives as well. If you looking to change out the drive in your LX195 I would recommend something that is know to run at lower temperatures. If your happy with your LX195 and are only concerned with storage capacity then I suggest you expand your server by either adding an external drive or think about adding a multibay USB enclosure where you can install several hard drives to your server.

Having said all that its also hard to really make a good recommendation because I am not sure what your current needs are or what your future plans are. One thing I do know for certain is that adding additional drives will allow you to turn on duplication so that your data gets protected. If this is of interest then the external enclosures will make good sense. If your just looking to keep your server running with just one drive and want to just change out the existing drive then I would recommend a Green Drive to help reduce the heat in your LX195 enclosure.

The drive your looking at is an advance format drive and has to be setup a certain way to run with WHS. I am not on my desktop so unfortunatly at this time I can not point you to a site which tells you how to setup these types of drives for use with WHS and if you should use or not use them for your System Drive. I will boot up my desktop and look up that link and come back to post it for your review. Information is key and I think you should review the link before purchasing an Advance Format Drive.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:05 pm 

Here is the link I was refering to => http://homeservershow.com/wd-ears-drives.html

It makes refrence to the EARS Drives but it should offer you some understanding about using Advance Format Drives with WHS.

If you think you might be interested in a USB Multibay Hard Drive Enclosure then you can find them on www.newegg.com as well as other sites. Various units have been discussed in the forums so there is a wealth of information here on this site.

Should you have any additional questions please feel free to ask. I think you will find this site to be a great place to find answers and support for your server. While I do not have an LX195 others here do but what your LX195 does have in common with everyones server is that it runs Windows Home Server. In the end only you can best determine what meets your needs all we can do is try to help you better understand your options.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
ladug2000
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:47 am 

Thanks Comp for the quick reply and info.
My present plan is to replace the main drive in the lx195 and eventully add external drives at a latter date.I am confused about one thing you said
Quote:
The drive your looking at is an advance format drive and has to be setup a certain way to run with WHS.

I thought the EARS drives with the 64mb buffers and the 4k sectors were the only ones considered the "advance Format"?
This one appears to have 32mb buffer and a 512 sector
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg ... faqid=3579
One reason I looked at this drive is to not go through the alignment step. :?

Lx195 base
PC1 Dell 400sc Win XP pro sp3
PC2 Acer Extensa Laptop Vista Home Premium
PC3 Dell Dimension 4600 XP pro

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:30 am 

I apologize....I took a closer look at the drive and your right its not an Advance Format Drive. I have been seeing more and more posts about Advance Format drives many of which I confirmed before writing a response but this time I got sloppy and broke from my normal routine. That drive appears to be for AV Recording usage. I would seek out someone who is actually using that drive in a WHS application to see how well it works especially since your about to use it for your system drive for which I have no real opinion to offer.

Now I am one who can test things out because I have multiple servers to do evaluations with but when you only have one you really want to make certain which I believe your doing before you make your purchase.

If you do buy the drive please write about how it works out for you both when you install it and then over time. This will help others and who knows open up more possibilities for things to use.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks