It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:50 pm 

Just got my LX195. I use Norton 360 (v3). The server documents discuss using McAfee. Anybody have experience with either? Better? Worse? No diff?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:36 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

The general feeling around here seems to be to avoid Norton. The much stronger feeling is to definitely avoid McAfee.

Most of us seem to be using Avast!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 am 

I assume that I can use free download Avast on the server and retain Norton 360 on my computers. Is that right? Since I have little understanding of the nuances of antivirus settings, I hope that Avast doesn't force me to make a bunch of decisions during setup or beyond. Also, I trust that Avast on the LX195 won't fight with Norton on the other machines. Sorry for the newbie questions. And thanks for your help!

I only intend to use the LX195 to consolidate files off 2 or 3 computers (to eliminate chasing versions across machines). No heavy media streaming needs or anything like that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:35 am 

While I currently run McAffee because I paid for it I do not recommend using it. McAffee has a few things that annoy me like everytime I change a setting it pops up telling me it can't schedule a scan or when a client boots up it reports my virus and spyware definitions are not up to date.

I can't tell you what works best on WHS I can only tell you what I know from my own personal experience. I am sure others will offer their opinions and suggestions to help you make a decision as to what to install then you can determine whats best for you needs. I have to do the same thing as you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 am 

You will want to use an AV product that is intended/designed for use on a server. There a few good choices out there and the one that most users on the forum lean toward is Avast. Avast has a version designed for WHS. There is a free trial for it but after that you'll have to purchase it. I'm not sure how well the Avast Home (free) version for a PC will do running on WHS.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:44 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I would NEVER recommend running an AV product on WHS that is not designed for use on WHS. The AV design needs to consider the WHS DE logic. (You might get away with it on a system with only a single disk but probably not on anything else, especially with duplication enabled.)

Not just ANY server, either. WHS specifically.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:37 am 

Interesting point about an AV program designed to work with WHS. You know if McAffee locks onto something the WHS reports the files is open and asks you to close the program that has the file open. This drove me crazy the first time I saw it and that files that were affected were definately safe and virus free but McAffee saw fit to quarantine those files which I later discovered was the actual cause of the problem. Thing is I had to hunt down what McAffee had done.

In this respect I do not beleve McAffee is fully functional or plays nice nice with WHS and then it tends to pinch a fit by announcing that it can not schedule a scan and then when you want to schedule a scan it see's fit to ghost that option out.

Anyway for now McAffee is running on my server till my subscription expires and so I really need to find something that truely works well with WHS. Atleast I am not running a naked server but I have discussed in detail with the McAffee people about the reasons why I have not renewed any of my other subscriptions and that unless they improve their product that I would not be renewing this last subscription nor recommending it to anyone. The other thing is when I did renew my subscription it was not automated and I had to hunt down on their site where you generate a new key which is aweful. But they took my money real quick (KaChing KaChing) and thats what they are best about.

I imagine there are those who swear by it and like it but I just do not feel its fully compatable with WHS I am not indicating it does not protect WHS its just it could work better is all.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:37 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Avast and F-Secure both work well on the WHS.

The key is the need to be aware of the DE logic and handle the duplicate file properly -- preferably at the same time as the base share is handles to avoid file integrity errors. You actually see that problem occasionally with Avast. I never saw it when I used F-Secure.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 am 

F-Secure actually works on WHS or do they has a specific version for WHS? A while back I tried F-Secure because Charter Communications offers it free to their subscribers but the problem I found with it is that it would indicate it removed things then they were still there. Maybe they improved it I do not know. I suppose I could install it on my test EX470 to see how it works.

What I do know is that soon I will install a fully Licenced copy of WHS on my Proliant at which time I would also like to have a good AV program running. I know about Avast and they have a WHS version but if F-Secure will work its FREE for me to use. This will be even more important once my son gets back online he is a virus magnet and while he is getting better about it meaning nothing has latched on him in say 9 months he still continues to use that Limewire which I call virus central.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I ass-u-me they still have a WHS version. I was part of the beta test for that a couple years ago and used it to Sept '09 when they finally decided to charge for it. At that point I switched to Avast! to try it for a while and compare. (It is really a toss-up except that Avast! offers (offered?) that terrific package price.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:48 am 

Ive been using managed Symantec Endpoint since the day I bought it.

Thanks