It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:17 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Since I have had to restore the server from the DVD a couple of times, I am wondering if anyone has been able to figure out how to do this from a Windows 7 machine? I have tried it twice and it just does not seem to work with a Windows 7 machine .. which should be a serious issue for HP since all the new machines they sell are loaded with Windows 7! :|

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:56 am 

Are you running Power Pack 3 and by any chance are you running the 64 Bit Version of WIN7. All I know is that the server recovery required a 32 bit machine to recover the server. Now this may have changed with Power Pack 3 but I am not exactly sure if a 64 bit machine can recover a server or not.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:31 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Are you running Power Pack 3 and by any chance are you running the 64 Bit Version of WIN7. All I know is that the server recovery required a 32 bit machine to recover the server. Now this may have changed with Power Pack 3 but I am not exactly sure if a 64 bit machine can recover a server or not.

Most definitely 64 bit Windows. It came with my new laptop .. an HP laptop .. there was no choice! I am not sure if powerpack 3 has been installed yet, I setup the server for automatic updates.

I got to thinking yesterday, why didn't HP make the reload process easy, for example, the device has USB ports on the back. Why not build the update procedure into the device so that if you plug in a DVD drive into the USB, it will reload direct from the drive. This seems to me to be very simple and much less error prone than the TFTP approach used now. TFTP is very temperamental .. it does not work with some LAN adapters, some operating systems, etc.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:29 am 

The requirement of using a 32 bit OS on the client PC to do a server recovery only applies to the EX47x series because the server recovery disks did not have PP1 on them and PP1 is what added the 64 bit PC compatability.

The LX195 should not need a 32 bit OS PC to do the server recovery.

The reason it doesn ot use the USB port with a DVD drive attached is because WHS is intended to run headless and thus, you need a client PC in the mix to see what is going on and set up user names, passwords, etc. Now, if one was using the custom video cable or
WHS system that was not headless, then it could be done this way.

Not yet sure why you're having issues with a server recovery when using Windows 7 machine. I've done recoveries of my EX470 using a Windows 7 machine and have not run into any issues associated with Win 7. Do you have a router in between them? If so, you might try connecting your LX195 directly to the client PC running the recovery disk and use a wired connection (rather than wireless if you happen to be using a wireless connection).

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:50 am 

Thats good to know and its not my intention to mislead which is why I indicated it may have changed.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:45 am 

I just recovered my lx195 today using win7 x64 with no issues.

Thanks