It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:21 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I own the LX195 and have the MediaSmart Control software installed on a client PC. However, I would like to format/install Windows 7 on this client PC or just reinstall Vista.

When I re-install this Control Software for the LX195, does it still keep the backups I had been using or would I need to begin this process all over again? Is there anyting I need to be careful about when doing this? All of my data is on the LX195 and I don't want to make a mistake here that could jeopardize my data.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:23 am 

No problem with your data. Changing the OS on a client PC will not have any effect on the data stored on the LX195.

After you install the new OS on the client PC and all Windows updates are done, you'll need to re-install the WHS Connector. Just use your browser to navigate to htt://hpserver:55000 It will pull up a page from your LX195 and select Download Now for the Connector software. Follow the directions and your client PC with the new OS will be setup for use with your LX195. It will create new backups of that PC because of the changes made. It will list the backups for this PC separately from the backups of that PC when it was running the old OS. In the Connector, select Computers and Backups, right click on your old PC name/OS, select turn back ups off for that old PC client to eliminate warning messages about needing to back it up. You can also select that PC, look at the backups available by date and lock the ones you want to keep. That will keep them until you delete them.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Everything Texas-Hansen said. Your data from the Vista backups will be safe and you can extract it at anytime.

HP named the LX-series servers "HPSERVERLX" by default, not "HPSERVER". To access the connector software download page after you install Win7, you type http://hpserverlx:55000 into your browser, download and install.

Thanks