It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I found directions on the web on how to replace the LX195 hard drive. I bought a 2TB WD drive, shut down the server, and replaced the 640GB drive with this new 2TB drive.

I am trying to perform the server recovery, following the instructions, etc, but cannot get it to work. It seems to me that the LX195 is supposed to either be a DNS server or respond to an IP address generated by the TFTP daemon start is started on my laptop when I startup the server recovery program.

One of things I considered is that maybe the server is timing out trying to format the 2TB drive? Could I preformat to help out, and what format would it need, I would think NTFS, but figured I would ask here to be sure. If I format it out of the LX195, what volume name should I give it?

Can anyone think of anything else I can try. This was supposed to be easy ... and 640GB is not enough for my home network, so I'd really like to be able to use this 2TB drive in the LX195.

Any help greatly Appreciated!!!

Thanks and Cheers,
FradicalOne

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:00 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

First, WELCOME to the world of MSS/WHS! Good to have you aboard!

I would preformat the drive as a single NTFS partition and make it active. The recovery process should take it from there.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JohnBick for this post
FradicalOne
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:11 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi John,

Formatting now ... although a full NTFS format of a 2TB drive is taking a LONG time even on my regular PC. I got wondering, with this 2TB mounted in my desktop PC for formatting, I wonder if there is any way to the write the HP server software on to the disc, directly from the server recovery DVD .. do the same thing that the TFTP Daemon appears to do, except right on the local PC?

My guess is that this would be a lot faster, and a lot less error prone. When I was running the Server Recovery DVD across a Cat-5 cable, I was getting weird errors like "failed in step 10 of 4" .. so something I think was very amiss with the unformatted drive in the system. ](*,)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:00 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Formatting the drive did the trick. I really think this is an unsaid requirement ... Not that HP has supplied instructions for the swapping the drive in the LX195 anyway.

Now I have a 2TB LX195. Liking it so far .... :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

It seems weird at times but some drives come pre-partioned and pre-formatted. Others come "bare" as yours evidently did. We like to think that all the retail units are formatted and the OEM ones are "bare", but even that is not 100%. And it is the same with virtually all the manufacturers.

I agree instructions could be better. Heck, it would be simple to partition/format if a bare dive is discovered!

But that is the way it is...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:17 am 

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and the LX195. First of all I wanted to say thanks to folks that run this site as it has been a valuable resource. I am piggybacking on this post because I am doing exactly what has been described here. I ran it to some serious difficulties once I got the 2 tb drive in. I could not get the recovery process to start and kept getting errors like the ones described above. I suspect that it was because I was trying to do initiate the process on a Windows 7 machine. So after I slept on it, (highly recommended when the frustration level is way up) I decided to try it on a laptop with windows XP on it. So far so good. I got past the initial process and am into recovery mode. This may not fix your problem and It might not be a windows 7 issue but it is something else to try. Good Luck!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:24 am 

Sandman277 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and the LX195. First of all I wanted to say thanks to folks that run this site as it has been a valuable resource. I am piggybacking on this post because I am doing exactly what has been described here. I ran it to some serious difficulties once I got the 2 tb drive in. I could not get the recovery process to start and kept getting errors like the ones described above. I suspect that it was because I was trying to do initiate the process on a Windows 7 machine. So after I slept on it, (highly recommended when the frustration level is way up) I decided to try it on a laptop with windows XP on it. So far so good. I got past the initial process and am into recovery mode. This may not fix your problem and It might not be a windows 7 issue but it is something else to try. Good Luck!

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for sharing your experience and solution.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:23 pm 

What a horrible, horrible process this is. Anybody contemplating a hard drive upgrade, expect to spend at least several hours to get it to work.

A few tips... things that I tried that FINALLY allowed me to get into recovery mode, after about a dozen failures..

* Used an XP machine instead of a Vista machine as the client
* Ripped the restore DVD to an .ISO image and mounted that image instead of relying on slow/flaky optical media
* Re-formatted the new 1.5TB hard drive as a single NTFS volume before installing it.

I think it's garbage that the volume ID must match when replacing a hard drive. I successfully cloned the old drive using Ghost, and it booted fine, but since the volume id of the 1.5TB disk was different than the 640 GB disk, WHS was all confused and befuddled, with no way for me to say "it's okay, stupid, just move on... I switched hard drives..."

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:21 pm 

UV254 wrote:
What a horrible, horrible process this is. Anybody contemplating a hard drive upgrade, expect to spend at least several hours to get it to work.

A few tips... things that I tried that FINALLY allowed me to get into recovery mode, after about a dozen failures..

* Used an XP machine instead of a Vista machine as the client
* Ripped the restore DVD to an .ISO image and mounted that image instead of relying on slow/flaky optical media
* Re-formatted the new 1.5TB hard drive as a single NTFS volume before installing it.

I think it's garbage that the volume ID must match when replacing a hard drive. I successfully cloned the old drive using Ghost, and it booted fine, but since the volume id of the 1.5TB disk was different than the 640 GB disk, WHS was all confused and befuddled, with no way for me to say "it's okay, stupid, just move on... I switched hard drives..."

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Indeed, trying to clone the original drive will create lots of problems with WHS, especially in the case of the system drive with both partitions. Glad to see you got it worked out and running.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

FWIW I've just discovered you can use Vista's diskpart command to change (and clone) a hard drive's unique identifier. Check out the TechNet Reference for details/usage.

I cloned my spare (reserved for tinkering) 500gb system drive to a 1TB drive using acronis and then used diskpart to set the 1tb's uniqueid to match the old 500gb drive. WHS appears to work perfectly without any errors in the eventlog and no critical health warnings about a failed backup service (which is typical of a cloned whs system with a mismatched system drive identifier).

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ymboc for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 pm 

Hi, I tried the recommendations on this board to install a new hard drive on my lx195 but may laptop would never connect to the lx195. I then noticed the tftpd32.log which said the lx195 had the ip address of 169.37.37.37. So I changed my network card address to 169.37.37.38 and then I was able to connect to the lx195 to install the server recovery software.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:59 am 

please forgive my ignorance, but are ya'll saying that I can install a blank formatted hard drive in my lx195 and using the recovery dvd that came with it, I can reinstall hp mediasmart server and increase my hard drive space?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:21 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

ssgtdotcom wrote:
please forgive my ignorance, but are ya'll saying that I can install a blank formatted hard drive in my lx195 and using the recovery dvd that came with it, I can reinstall hp mediasmart server and increase my hard drive space?

Yep

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:42 pm 

helrazr,

thank you for that response. that was all I wanted to know and you kept it short and sweet.

ssgt dot.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm 

helrazr,

it was just as simple as you said. thanks.

ssgt dot.com
100% Disabled Veteran
veteran of '91 gulf war and bosnia conflict
U.S. Air Force Combat Controller "First There"

Thanks