It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: CPU upgrade possible?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:29 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Is it possible to upgrade the CPU on the LX 195? It's 1.6Ghz now, would like to go to 2.0Ghz. The reason is that this MSS is my music server. There is an application that I wish to run called Inguz, which is a "EQ and Digital Room Correction " software. One of the listed requirements is min 2Ghz.

TIA
John

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi John, unfortunately the Atom process is soldered onto the motherboard, so it's not possible to upgrade. If you're looking for more power you'll probably want to look at one of the EX49x series servers.

I'm curious how you'd use room correction software with your home server? Would you do the measurements and then load the profile into the software running on the server and have it EQ it before sending it out to the streamer?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:51 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks Alex. I only know that the plugin software was developed for SqueezeBox / Transprter users. It's a plugin for SqueezeCenter.
http://inguzaudio.com/
It can be used for EQ and effects, and also for room correction when used with a microphone.
I could just install it and try it, but it is known to be processor hungry. I see what you mean about the EX. Should have gone that route from the beginning. I already upgraded the ram in my LX to 2Gb.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:42 am 

You can definitely upgrade your computer according to required because it you have low level configuration then put additional processor up to 2 Ghz with 2gb RAM.It will definitely increased your speed and work.you can also increased your hard disk according to your need.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:26 am 

JMarshall wrote:
Thanks Alex. I only know that the plugin software was developed for SqueezeBox / Transprter users. It's a plugin for SqueezeCenter.
http://inguzaudio.com/
It can be used for EQ and effects, and also for room correction when used with a microphone.
I could just install it and try it, but it is known to be processor hungry. I see what you mean about the EX. Should have gone that route from the beginning. I already upgraded the ram in my LX to 2Gb.

Interesting.... Would I be correct in that your music is currently stored on your server? If so then if you were to say install that software on another computer say a notebook for example and then tie it into your server mapping the Music folders (which would be shared anyway) but then you can do what you want without having to mess with the processor which you can't in your case or have to run out and purchase another server or build one.

Of course this would buy you some time until you figure out a more perfect solution and even if you were to get another server you could still use the other computer as mentioned above which also by the way reduces some of the load off your server freeing it upto do other things. Also if you happen to have a computer lying around like most people that can meet the requirements to run the software you desire and the WHS you could download the WHS 30 Day Trial and install it on that computer to see if it suites your needs this only cost you time to evaluate if it will work for you. If it works then you just purchase a license for WHS which around $100 and your solution becomes extremely cost effective.

Good Luck with your project. Please write back and let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:34 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
...Good Luck with your project. Please write back and let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.

Well, the LX195 has proved to be unreliable at best, and broken now. Even with the help from tech support, I have had problems constantly, the last thing tech support did was to send me a new hard drive...now it is not working at all. I will get back to repairing the LX195 someday.

What I did do was build a dedicated DIY Windows 7 64 headless music server. (1) 500g hdd contains only the music files (FLAC), and (1) 500 gb hdd contains the o.s. and the streaming software (Logitech SqueezeServer) on one 100 gb partition, and I used the balance to store duplicate copies of all of my digital photos and other imprtant documents that are on my laptop. The Windows 7 backup utility is backing it all up to a WD 2tb mirrored RAID 0 external drive.

Now I can just listen to music without repairing, re-booting, or factory reseting hardware!

I will get back to repairing the LX195 eventually, or I'll have to change my signature :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:29 pm 

I am happy to see you found a solution to your needs even if your LX195 is still sitting idle. Still I would rather also see your server fully functional.

While I do not have a need for an LX195 it would be nice to atleast get to play with on to see the similarities and differences between the LX and EX units. Certainly it would allow me to better understand some of the issues people like yourself face with the LX195.

Having said all that I have to believe the LX195 functions much the same way the other MSS units do only on a scaled down level. When you get ready to tackle working on your LX195 feel free to contact me and maybe we can find a viable solution to why your unit has given you some trouble and maybe its not the unit but the hard drives themself as there were a batch of Seagate Drives that were used by HP that had known issues and as I recall required a Firmware upgrade.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
JMarshall
 Post subject: Here's the problem.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:16 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

First, thanks for your interest.
Here is the problem: the combo SATA/power cable fits too loose on the mobo or controller card. Many dozens of error messages say to replace the cable. I have taken my LX apart so often now, that I can quickly (2-3 min) get it apart, re-seat the cable get it together and running again. I have actually purchase 2-3 after market cables, but never can get the correct cable config, i.e the right angle SATA/power plug that goes into the HDD (it's a WD 640GB btw) or the mobo side of the cable/plug. The problem is that HP tech support can not give me a cable.
They decided to send me a new WD 640 hdd (it arrived OUTSIDE of the static protection bag, so I think it was used). I installed it, still had the same recurring error messages about replacing the cable and then the hdd began squealing one day and has not been able to boot since.
I really should get back in touch with HP tech support and simply ask for a complete warrantee replacement. (I have already actually, but they wanted to send me a hdd instead).
To wrap up. My new DIY box does a better job of being a music server, but I would still like to get the LX195 up and running as my backup solution for my latop and new music server.
I need to get back on the phone with them and attempt yet another restore or reset. I think the hdd they sent me was a return from another customer. :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:28 pm 

I am trying to picture your cable configuration. I am wondering if what you have is a 90 degree backplane cable extention cable that would have the power and data connections in the same cable.

Since I have never seen the internals on an LX195 would it be possible for you to take some pictures with the drive cable connected then remove the cable and take a picture of the motherboard where the cable is connected and the actual cable itself. With 2 drive and the same issue it appears that either its the cable or the motherboard cable connection. If your unit is underwaranty and you have made an effort to replace what HP suspects to be the problem and its not resolved they should be willing to take the unit back and resolve your issue. However if this is not the case then maybe we can find an acceptable cable for you to try out.

In the meantime have you ever looked at http://store.satacables.com/
to see if they might have a cable to match what you have in your server?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks again. It is still under warranty. I will take photos as you suggested. I will also take photos of the cables I have tried. The problem in two cases of aftermarket cables is the 4 pin molex end. HP has chosen to make the mobo socket male, the 2 connectors I bought have 4pin male molex also.
The photos will make this clear.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am 

Definatley give HP Support a call since it's under warranty. The MSS support department is one of the best support departments out there. Walk them through the issue and the solutions tried and my guess is you'll have an LX195 on its way to you so you can swap it out and send the broken one back to HP.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:13 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I know they are excellent. My plan is to have the LX ready for tech support, i.e connected, and ready for reset or recovery, before I dial the phone number.

Thanks