It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:50 pm 

I find there are three jumpers on the mainboard (aka "mobo"), and I'm curious if anyone has figured out their purposes:

JP1 - Adjacent to SATA data connector, has three pins, Two of them are jumpered in the shipped unit; does anyone know what the other setting does?

JP2 - Tucked in the corner between the Northbridge and the Southbridge, it has two pins, and is unjumpered (I suspect this is the "BIOS Access-enable" option, but I've not tried yet).

JP3 - Adjacent to JP3, with three pins, of which two are jumpered in the shipped unit; does anyone know what the other setting does?

An image of the mainboard in the vicinity of the front, bottom of the LX195:
Attachment:
File comment: This is an annotated version of the original image at http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk189/donavonwest/homeserverhacks/hp-lx195-mainboard.jpg, to add the jumper call-outs.
SP32 (Mahvin)-20090923-163122.jpg
SP32 (Mahvin)-20090923-163122.jpg [ 40.18 KiB | Viewed 30440 times ]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:13 pm 

Yep, I can confirm JP2 is for the BIOS. I just put Ubuntu Server on my LX195 last night. :boxster:

With it jumped you can enter the BIOS with a USB keyboard plugged into the back of the unit. So as far a KVM cables go you really only need the video cable.

I had started a separate thread on Linux on the LX195. I'll put some more details there shortly. Still having fun getting everything configured just right. :)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank sokol99 for this post
MarcoPolo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:16 am 

This. Changes. Everything.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:18 am 

Can you explain a bit more about the KVM cable you used? I'm totally new to the idea of installing Linux software on my LX195, so I don't really know what cable I'd have to buy to get started. Thanks for your time and help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:45 am 
Founder
Founder

Here ya go.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am 

Hi MarcoPolo,

Good question. I consider myself a home enthusiast and am certainly not an expert either. :)

I don't know whether the pins on the board are some standard type or just something HP dreamed up but there's a guy who makes cables for it at the link below. It is pretty expensive ($60) but this was as much academic as functional for me so I just got a cable. You can buy just the one for video and then you can use a regular USB keyboard (and mouse I assume) plugged into the back of the LX-195. I didn't need a mouse to install Ubuntu Server.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3980

Before you put linux on I'd install the latest patch from HP. It might let you suspend and wake the server up if that's something you're interested in. Here's the link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3941454&lang=en&#

Finally, I'm sure you saw it above but I put the rest of my installation experience on this other thread:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6706

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:09 pm 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-PS2-Board-A ... 3a729ea0b8
I recently got an lx-195 and was thinking of swapping the os.
has anyone seen these? would this be an easy conversion to use?
for 6 bucks could be an easy way to make these things awesome.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:03 pm 

I bought two LX195's off of eBay really cheap, hoping to turn them into auxiliary media servers to complement my Western Digital DX4000, which is quickly filling up (with 4x 4TB drives in a RAID5 no less!).

I could never get them to come up online, after trying the recovery mode over and over again. I finally broke down and bought a VOVTech KVM cable, and now I'm looking at WHS installing patches on my LCD monitor! ( which is probably why I thought it was dead...)

Charles, You Da Man!

Thanks