It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:59 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I am backing up my "Pictures" directory with the LX195. Also, I am using the media collector which is getting my pictures also and copying them onto the LX195. Then I manually copied "pictures" to the LX195 because I was having problems with getting Media Creator to update and add new pictures.

Problem I having is that I can't I now have 3 different copies of my "pictures" directory on the LX195. I believe backup creates a directory, Media Creator would create a second directory, and then I created a 3rd directory manually because I was having problems with getting Media Creator to find and new photos.

I have been able to locate 3 different directories which have my photos. However, I can't tell which copy was created by running the backup, the one that is created with Media Creator, or the one I copied over to the LX195 manually.

What I want to do is have a directory on the LX195 that I can access from multiple PC's and then add photos. Once I add them from another PC to the LX195, I want to then be able to have it copy them back to my "primary PC" in the house.

The media collector is not working so it won't do this. The backup file is working but I don't think I can add files from from another PC into the backup file. So my thought is I need a 3rd directory but now I am lost.

I need some help. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on what I can do here.

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

The WHS Backup software stores your files in a database, not in a directory structure that you will be able to access or identify. So do not count that as a copy, instead you can either manually exclude that directory on your client PC, or simply live with having it stored in the backups.

To have the files copied to the server, and then synced to another PC, I suggest using a file sync utility such as Robocopy or Synctoy, a search on these forums will show you how people have used these to do what you ask.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I had occasion to play around a bit this evening with PerfectDisk 10. Under the Space Management tab there is a function entitled "Duplicates Finder". I ran it against my client D-Drive, where I have all my music and pictures (except known non-duplicates in some shared folders). It worked WONDERFULLY! Very easy to see the duplicates, sort them by name or size, etc. right from the results screen. Very thorough and very accurate. And it recognizes re-names as being the same file! (It does NOT consider a "cropped" image to be the same as the original though!) After removing a few hundred duplicates of photos and music tracks I gave up for the night -- but I will return!

If all your files are already exclusively on the MSS/WHS you can NOT run this in the WHS version. That function is NOT present. But if you have the originals on a client you can synchronize to the Shared Folders and accomplish the same thing.

I would, however, be very careful at any time you may be dealing with your only copies of any files. (I have my clients backed up to the MSS, the MSS backed up manually (shared folders and BDBB Add-In), and I have multiple automated backups (including copies off-site) so I did not hesitate to experiment.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks