It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:18 pm 

:boxster: With the help of a VGA debug board from cakalapati (sp?) I was able to install ubuntu 12.04 onto the box and it fired up just fine, installed updates and was responding to the usb keyboard. Obviously I was able to get into the bios and I really hope I didn't screw anything up majorly but I read somewhere that you can O/C the ram a little bit. (I think you see where this is going)

Well, I did just that and bumped the frequency all the way to 667 (it was a 2gb stick that I installed myself and was also working fine). I also chose to do a clean install of ubuntu because I wanted more of the server flavor (installed desktop) and changed the boot priority to my usb drive. I hit F10 to save & exit then the whole thing rebooted per usual.

Only this time it looks like the bios hasn't started up at all. I unplugged the machine because it wasn't responding to anything and the usb keyboard was not lit up either. Now, only the power light will stay on and sometimes during start up, the network led will blink red for just a sec then nothing. I hope I didn't fry anything but considering this was my first attempt at making an omelette I guess a few eggs would need to break. Oh well if that's the case I got it for free anyway.

I followed the threads on here intently when I tried to see if this was at all possible in the first place so I'm hoping someone can break off some advice. Thanks in advance!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:00 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11382

I followed the process here for removing the CMOS battery and after removing it, I washed the dishes and made the bed. Afterwards I re-inserted the battery and ram then boom, fired right up!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 pm 

Glad you found a solution. Mucking around with the BIOS and attempting to OverClock may not be the best thing to do unless you know others who have gone before you and done this with success. These little servers can be sensitive so take great care on any modification you do as you have recently learned.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:44 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Can you say Lucky? I bet you can! \:D/

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks