It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I am going to replace my LX195 with a Windows 8 PC. Probably something inexpensive purchased at BestBuy or OfficeMax.

The primary function for this device is to run Streambaby and Pytivo. I will use a program like Second Copy for backups.

Is there any specific configuration settings I will need to change? Or anything tricky that I may not be aware of.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:01 pm 

You will actually need to review the actual requirements for each piece of software. Also you might want to see if there are forums available for discussion for those titles by those who use the software to find out what if any issues you may encounter and have to overcome.

Then consider what else you may use the computer for and then once you know the minimum and nominal requirements for everything then and only then can you determine what you need. The other thing worth mentioning is this will cover what you plan on doing today but make sure you have room to grow the computer to handle your needs what ever they may be down the road so buying something with better specs then what you need will mean you do not have to rehash this in a year. Also keep an eye on the PSU in a ready made computer its often one of the key area they cut back on cost so they tend to install the smallest PSU they can get away with. Most people who by these units never add drives and other devices outside of a printer or scanner so if you load it up with drives you may experience a failure in the PSU. Remember they build these things as cheaply as possible to hold the cost down so Mr and Mrs Average Everyday Consumer can afford to by them. This of course is not always the case but when your looking at a low cost alternative these are things you need to watch out for.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
You will actually need to review the actual requirements for each piece of software. Also you might want to see if there are forums available for discussion for those titles by those who use the software to find out what if any issues you may encounter and have to overcome.

Then consider what else you may use the computer for and then once you know the minimum and nominal requirements for everything then and only then can you determine what you need. The other thing worth mentioning is this will cover what you plan on doing today but make sure you have room to grow the computer to handle your needs what ever they may be down the road so buying something with better specs then what you need will mean you do not have to rehash this in a year. Also keep an eye on the PSU in a ready made computer its often one of the key area they cut back on cost so they tend to install the smallest PSU they can get away with. Most people who by these units never add drives and other devices outside of a printer or scanner so if you load it up with drives you may experience a failure in the PSU. Remember they build these things as cheaply as possible to hold the cost down so Mr and Mrs Average Everyday Consumer can afford to by them. This of course is not always the case but when your looking at a low cost alternative these are things you need to watch out for.

I need the WHS replacement for 2 things.

1) Centrally store my videos and pictures for playback on Tivo via streambaby and pytivo.
2) Backup my files. (I will use Secondcopy for manual backup)

At first I was thinking a standard Windows 8 machine would do it. That was until I realized that you need Windows Pro to support remote desktop.

Should I purchase a Windows Pro desktop, would I need to match up the login password from my standard Windows 8 desktop to the Windows 8 pro server like I have to do with WHS?

I am looking for help with the initial setup and having a tough time searching for what is applicable in my situation. I am concerned about buying this and not being able to set it up.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:04 pm 

Some people have opted to use Win8 as a file server of sorts. This is not something I am familiar with but others have posted their experiences about doing this in the forms. I would hate to mislead you so I would have to defer to those posts in the forums to help you sort this out. Use the Site Search to help you out and if you can't find what your looking for then remember Google is your friend.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The one potential drawback would be the increased power consumption. I see the LX195 varies from approx. 50 to 100 watts.

Moving to a desktop (I was thinking a slimline desktop from HP) apparently is considerably higher. Any suggestions on best desktop with most efficient power consumption?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:30 am 

For low power consumption the little Nettops come to mind which is nothing more then a Netbook without a monitor very small not a lot of expansion options but if your primary concern is power then this may be of interest to you.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:55 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
For low power consumption the little Nettops come to mind which is nothing more then a Netbook without a monitor very small not a lot of expansion options but if your primary concern is power then this may be of interest to you.

I am trying to determine the brand/type of desktop running Windows 8 Professional which consumes the least amount of power.

Something designed to be on/running 24 hours a day all the time.

Any idea on how I can determine that?

Thanks