It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:51 pm 

I am very interested in buying them HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live/ 64 Bit Sempron Processor, 1 TB Hard Drive). I just have a few questions before I make such a pricey investment.

I have 4 computers on my network, one running XP Pro, XP Home, Vista Home Premium and Vista Basic. They are all 32-bit OS. When it says HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live/ 64 Bit Sempron Processor, 1 TB Hard Drive)

Does this matter at all that my computers are all 32-bit and the Smart Server will be 64-bit?

Also a bit off topic, if I tell the server to backup all of my computers fully will it eat up ALOT of HD space??

Your advice would be greatly appreciated,

John McKnight

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:15 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

It doesn't matter. I'm running it on an XP Pro and XP Media Center edition box just fine. :)

Also, I wanted to correct you on the EX475 drive size. It's not a 1TB drive, it's two 500GB drives. Not very important unless you are planning on adding your own drives later.

I hope you get it! It really is an amazing device. I can already see the value when I used remote desktop. This thing runs a full OS. There's everything you expect to see on a normal computer.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:09 am 

necro wrote:
It doesn't matter. I'm running it on an XP Pro and XP Media Center edition box just fine. :)

Also, I wanted to correct you on the EX475 drive size. It's not a 1TB drive, it's two 500GB drives. Not very important unless you are planning on adding your own drives later.

I hope you get it! It really is an amazing device. I can already see the value when I used remote desktop. This thing runs a full OS. There's everything you expect to see on a normal computer.

O yeah I didnt know that it was 2 drives.

ok.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:44 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

And that seems to be the only difference, I found it cheaper to buy the ex470 and add a second larger drive myself.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

AFter you max out your 4 bays with currently 1TB drives, you can always reuse your 500GB Seagate with an Ultra external enclosure (with eSATA) and connect it to the MSS's eSATA port. They sell for around $50 at Tiger.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Right. You can put 4 drives in the bays and there are 4 USB ports for adding storage.

My plan however, is to use the eSata port since it supports port multipliers. I plan on adding a small drive tower with a 5 port multiplier on it. Then I can add 5 more SATA 1TB drives.

Also keep in mind that USB ports can have hubs attached to them so there are lots of storage options there. Performance will decrease, but your space won't.

I think I heard someone say there was an OS limitation on space... was it 16TB? I'd like to know what the limit is....

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

necro wrote:
Right. You can put 4 drives in the bays and there are 4 USB ports for adding storage.

My plan however, is to use the eSata port since it supports port multipliers. I plan on adding a small drive tower with a 5 port multiplier on it. Then I can add 5 more SATA 1TB drives.

Also keep in mind that USB ports can have hubs attached to them so there are lots of storage options there. Performance will decrease, but your space won't.

I think I heard someone say there was an OS limitation on space... was it 16TB? I'd like to know what the limit is....

Regarding using a tower on your eSATA, do you mean a tower that is not RAID and is running just a bunch of drives? Do you know how much your performatnce will suffer. Don't get me wrong - this sounds interesting to me as well. However, if your external drives lower read/write performance then it will affect you 4 fast internal drives. I want to make sure that whatever I add externally is not a drag on the MSS.

Regarding limitation on space. I spoke to the MSS developers and they informed me that the limitation is 16TB. You can contact technical support and they will probably tell you the same thing.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:21 am 
Founder
Founder

16TB is an NTFS (filesystem) limitation, not just the MSS.

eSATA is fast, I wouldn't worry about degrading performance by using a good eSATA enclosure.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:35 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

^^^

That's my point. These run at SATA II which is much faster than any other storage device out there. And the miracle of port multiplication technology is such that it does not affect performance. Even if it did, it wouldn't be enough to hurt any streaming.

I'll worry about adding that tower when I fill up all my drives in the unit. It's been two days since I've gotten it and it's still copying my MP3's to the music share... I think it'll be done in the next few hours. Next, I'll work on copying my thousands of pics up. Hopefully that won't take days...

Thanks