It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:44 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Trying to do the v3 upgrade and the recovery failed the first time. Reboot and try again and the health light goes solid red! :cry: . I jam a paperclip in there and i get the Recovery mode failed light cycle. Gave HP a call and said they don't have any replacement parts and cannot even sell me a replacement chasis. The only option they gave me is to buy a new one. I don't exactly have the money to buy a new one and this would be a last last resort for me

Is there any way to recover from to recover from this or and I completely SOL???....

If I had to buy a new one, should i purchase a 490 and do the proc upgrade myself or just purchase the 495?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 pm 

Hi toyceli22,

I do not believe for one minute your SOL. I am planning on drafting a document for an alternate recovery mode proceedure one that I personally use because I do not like that Recovery Mode Button. That button is there because as you know the server is headless or has no video output so it just makes the Recovery Mode Process more simple and straight forward.

The question I have for you right now is does your server still boot up and run as before? If so then we have time on our hands to discuss the best alternative for your needs. We can discuss the recovery or upgrade path of your chosing. If you want to buy yourself some time say to see what happens when Microsoft releases the 64 Bit version of Windows Home Server we can discuss that too.

So lets explore your options and then you tell me what you would prefer to do. In the mean time I do recommend if your not running the BDBB Add-in found here on this site in the ADD-INs area that you install it. This nice utility will back up your client backup data providing you additional protection. Let me know also if your data on the server is backed up or exists elsewhere should you need to access it.

Have you read the guide to upgrading your server found on this site? It contains some important information to help you better understand the process.

Anyway I need to create that document and then I will provide it to you and hopefully you will get the 3.0 installed.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for the reply!!

Unfortunatley the server no longer boots up into whs. I took the drive out and popped it into another computer only to find a raw partition with no data on it.

The data on the drives are actually ok. I pump out all that data once a week using robocopy. The backups are not that much of a big deal for me. I mainly do the backups for peace of mind sort of but I actually have my data replicating across my other computers every night. I'm just annoyed because my family uses the Vm's that I have created to store their data on this machine while on the go.

I would've loved to wait for vail but who knows when that will actually be. I was hoping that this machien would've lasted me until then.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 pm 

Oh that's not good but still we are not down and out yet.

Did you have file duplication turned on and how many drives do you have installed on your server? I will try to get that document written and to you tomorrow.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

All drive filled with WD green TB drives with duplication turned on.

I really appreciate the help Comp!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:50 am 

toyceli22,

Your welcome! Hey I know what its like to have your server not working and wanting to get it back online. I will try to get that document finished up today so you can try out the proceedure to see if your server can go into recovery mode. Now if the server still does not go into recovery mode at that point then there is another way to do it which will require you to get a copy of the SMI USB Files which I can help you with. Its those files which are stored on the Hidden Partition area of your servers motherboard which puts your server into recovery mode but you have to place them on a Bootable Flash Drive and insert it into the bottom rear USB Port on your server. Now I do not at this time beleive this is necessary, I just want you to be aware that there are different ways to put your server into recovery mode aside from using that tiney button on the front of your server.

Oh yea, have you taken your system drive out of the server and installed it into another computer and run the CHKDKS /r on it to see if it has problems. I know you have looked at it but I would recommend running CHKDSK /r on it just to make sure its free of errors and that any errors currently on it are repaired. Then if you like you could try the recovery proceedure as outlined by HP to see if it will work again but make certain that nothing is connected into the bottom rear USB port of your server. As for other USB Devices connected what are they and can they also be removed. I just desire to make certain there is nothing there to interfear with the process.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:28 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Chkdsk found no errors.

I did a lot of reading about that SMI USB Flash yesterday. I have a feeling that might work for me. Through all my frustrations, I have tried with and without my system drive all failing with the same results :( . The SMI USB is the only thing I have not tried because I could not find the files anywhere.

TIA again!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:29 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Chkdsk found no errors.

I did a lot of reading about that SMI USB Flash yesterday. I have a feeling that might work for me. Through all my frustrations, I have tried with and without my system drive all failing with the same results :( . The SMI USB is the only thing I have not tried because I could not find the files anywhere.

TIA again!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:30 pm 

toyceli22,

The SMI files are stored on your motherboard in a hidden area which you can access from a working server by disabling on of the HP Services. I know thats not going to help you right now but I can help you get a copy of them if you are not able to get your server into recovery mode and able to restore your server.

I was working with another user William over the past couple days his issue was with his server not being able to enter recovery mode. He actually resolved the issue on his own by installing a new hard drive and everything worked out for him as his server is now functioning once again.

I am almost done with my document after which I will come back and post it here for your review to try out. Hopefully it will get you back up and running with the 3.0 installed. After which I will find the link for you about how you can access your SMI files so you can make a copy should you ever need them in the future.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:03 pm 

toyceli22,

Below is the Server Recovery Process I would like for you to try. If after doing this your not successful then let me know and we will try creating a bootable USB Flash Drive with the SMI Files on it and of course get the files to you as well. So take a deep breath, get your favorite beverage (OH this is a no smoking area - I am the only one allowed to smoke in here) and lets see if we can get your server back up and running. Oh yea if you have any question about what you are about to read please post it and wait for my reply......

Attachment:
EX47x & EX48x Server Recovery Mode.doc [32 KiB]
Downloaded 1491 times

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
porkenstein, slowcomo, toyceli22
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:09 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Great doc!!

I was actually able to locate a copy of the an image for the SMI. Popped those files onto a bootable usb, plugged it into the the rear bottom usb slot......just like you had mentioned.

SERVER FOUND!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to thank you Comp1962 for helping me out over the past few days!!!!

I really appreciate all the advice and help!!

Server is being recovered right now. Just have to figure out how to get to that hidden partition to restore those files.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:50 pm 

toyceli22,

Great I am glad to hear your making progress and I honestly hope your recovery experience is a good one! If you have not yet read Alex's guide to performing the upgrade to 3.0 I do urge you to review it. It can be found in the News Area on this site. Also there is an article I wrote regarding Users 3.0 upgrade experiences that maybe helpful to you.

In the mean time the items below will help save you some frustration:

- I do urge you to run all the available updates before turning anything one
- If you have an EX47x Server with an upgraded processor - download the MSS FAN CONTROL ADD-IN found in the ADD-INS area on this site - you will be thankful you did as it will help keep your
processor cool when configured properly. If not then its still a good ADD-IN for the stock processor as well
- If you see the backup data base error make sure you get the updates installed particularly the pp3 but all the updates and that error will go away - so ignore it for a while
- Your remote access may not work properly. So release your domain and reconfigure and it will work
- Let your server settle in for a couple days before turning on the media function
- When you do turn on the media functions turn them on one at a time and let your server play catchup so you do not overwelm your server then turn on another until you have all the ones you
you desire to have turned on all up and running.

My desire is for you to have a positive upgrade experience and to have your server running well. I think you will find the 3.0 a wonderful addition to your server which will breath new life into it. Having said that with your server running well it will buy you time to decide if you should need to upgrade to another server down the road or maybe you will be very happy with what you have and if so then great there is nothing wrong with being happy with your server. Which is much better then how you felt yesterday. So here is to your recovery process and hopefully it will be a smooth transition for you.

Should you need additional help please do not hesitate to ask again. I am but one of many who frequent this site and assist others, share information and learn from the successes and failures of others in hopes to be able to pass on this learned information both to help users like yourself resolve thier issues and avoid issues.

Good Luck and let me know how things worked out for you. :sanjuan:

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

So far so good! everythign is up and running!!

THANK YOU again!

One last question though? How would i go about unhiding that recovery partition to see what exactly happened in there?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:18 pm 

toyceli22,

To unhide the SMI USB Hidden Partition you need to do the following:

(1) RDP to your server
(2) Enter the device manager & select System Devices
(3) Right Click on HP MediaSmart Server and select Disable
(4) Reboot the server
(5) RDP to your server again and enter My Computer and you will see an extra drive which is the area containing the SMI Files
(6) When your done enter the device manager again and select System Devices
(7) Right Click on HP MediaSmart Server and select Enable
(8) Reboot your server

Here is an additional refrence which describes how to create a USB Boot Disc for an EX49x Server but uses the SMI files from and EX47x and explains in part what I have written above but my instruction have you enabling the service again so your server will run properly. Please be aware that when you disable that service you will get some health alarms so ignore them for the time being the alarms will go away once you enable the service and reboot your serve.

Here is the link -> http://mediasmartpodcast.blogspot.com/2 ... sb_09.html

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:24 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Very good info to have. Thanks!!

I forgot to check task manager to see if the partition is actually there. Right now I only see 2 drives in My Computer.

I don't even know how it would've gotten to this condition.

Thanks