It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you for allowing me to join this excellent board. I have futz’d around with several back-up and home server ideas for many years. When I bought my HP EX-475 last year, I thought – this is finally it. I trusted it – loaded it with my photos, backup, music … etc.

It has been very slow, but with the promise of version 3 – I thought all would be fixed. While waiting for the upgrade, I increased my memory to 2GB. I got the HP upgrade 3 weeks ago and installed it. I thought it went fine … but 2 weeks my server was red – saying I had not done a back-up. This lead me to Server Recovery … which is where I have been for the last 2 weeks. I have read your board and I see my issue .. but have not found a solution for me. So here goes:

I followed your guide for recovery .. I name the server .. I enter a password .. the connector joins the server, but does not get through the “preparing backup”. I get several errors – backup service may not be running; I tried the “back arrow” many times .. without success

I have tried to install the connector on two other computers .. stop at the same spot.
Firewalls and AV are turned off. I have tried direct connect and through my Belkin N1 Vision router. I can ping the server by IP and name. I have never figured out the RDP.

When I ran the connectortroubleshooter – It does not find a backup beacon – but I do not know what to do with this?

The drive lights are flashing – blue; the bottom three leds are flashing – blue; the WHS symbol in the System tray is green.

When I try to look at the drives through Vista (32) to look at the WHS – all I can see is printer folder.
I have 2 x .5 TB drives and 2 x 1TB drives – and approx 2TB stored here

Thanks for listening .. someone probably has an easy fix for me – after I have spent 2 weeks beating my head against the wall.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I want to add more information -- I saw today that you were often looking at the Event Viewer -- THis is the information I got tonight:

1. Product: HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1 -- Configuration completed successfully.
2. Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1. Product Version: 3.0.13.33597. Product Language: 1033. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.
3. Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\WHSConnector.msi. Client Process Id: 5148.
4. Starting session 1 - 4/12/2010 11:39:48 PM.
5. Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.
6. The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.
7. The description for Event ID 0 from source esClient cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Service started

8. ERROR -- Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer HPHOMESERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.
9. The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped succesfully.
10. The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.
11. Detection of product '{4D612FB2-1AE7-4E46-9377-35BB2F06A787}', feature 'ISUM', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed. The resource 'F:\' does not exist.
12. Detection of product '{4D612FB2-1AE7-4E46-9377-35BB2F06A787}', feature 'ISUM' failed during request for component '{D2D7B4BF-6CCA-11D5-8B3F-00105A9846E9}'

I hope this helps somebody help me .. thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:59 pm 
Founder
Founder

Are those entries from the Client or the Server? The server in a freshly restored state should be named "HPSTORAGE", not "HPHOMESERVER", did you rename it during setup? Have you tried running Server Recovery again?

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
msinger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm 

Hi msinger welcome to the forums!

First lets take a deep breath and put any thoughts you may entertain about putting the computer in the drive way and introducing it to your vehicle. Ok I know not funny but I just want you to relax and I need to simplify your post abit in so I am clear on where you are so lets first see if I understand you correctly.

You installed the 3.0 software in your EX475 and you were able to give the server a name and password.

Lets put all the other stuff aside right now.

You also indicate the Home Server Icon in your task manager is green. This is a good sign but what I am not clear on is if you were able to ever connect to the servers console or not. The only thing about backups that bother me right now is if your server is upto date with the updates that were not included in the 3.0 that your serve may or would of been running when you were running 1.3. Getting your server updated is most important.

To RDP to your server you want to find and run a program called REMOTE DESKTOP its in your computer. When it asks you for the computer you want to connect to simply enter the name of your server. The user name you need to enter is ADMINISTRATOR and the Password is the servers password you gave the server when you installed the 3.0. Once your logged on you will see a WARNING Message informing you not to play with things and do all your maintenance from the Servers Console. This is actually good advise for the moment.

Once on your server run the Windows Home Server Console there will be an Icon for it on the servers desktop. Once there enter settings and then click on the UPDATE NOW button to have your server get any updates from Microsoft it may not have installed yet. Keep running the updates until there are no more left to be downloaded. Do this only in the console not from the desktop. HP also has its updates in the settings area under MediaSmart Server, from there you can have the server look for any updates from HP but during the 3.0 install it should go obtained them if any were needed.

If you are not able to get on your server let me know what you did and exactly what happend. I would rather take it one piece at a time. Every detail is important so just the begining parts are whats most important right now.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
msinger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:25 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Good Morning Alex,
Thank you for setting up and providing this avenue to resolve WHS issues. I have used your board and responses to resolve previous issues – thanks.
I did rename the server during setup – Previously it’s name was HPHOMESERVER – so I thought that name would be best in restructuring the data and files that I have on the disks. I posted the results from the Client event manager while doing a server recovery. I have done at least one and some days 3-4 server recoveries for the past 2 weeks.
I – like many people – finally trusted this approach and have 30 years of photos; docs and music that I do not want to lose.
While lying in bed last night – I thought I should have posted the information from the connector troubleshooter – I will do that tonight.
Thanks again for this board and your help … Mike Singer

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Good Morning Comp1962,
I have seen many good responses and help from you on this board. You are exactly correct – I am ready to toss the server and find another way for provide a home server.
You comment about the “green” icon on the task manager is right –on. When I click on it I can bring up the web based access screen – but it does not connect to the server. When I look at the network from the Vista start menu – all I see it a printers folder. I do not “trust” the green icon.
The disks I got from HP have 3.0 + update 1 – Since the labels are incorrect – I copied the contents to my computer HD and am running the updates and recover from there. I have also downloaded the update 2 and update 3. When I try to run update 2 – the program exits because it can not find the installed server.
I also spent a couple fruitless days investigating “name resolution” because I read that it is 90% of the connector issues – IF I knew more, I could rule this out.
I am also intrigued by the “backup service may not be running”. Where did that come from – when the server was working fine before this upgrade?
Thank you for the RDP instruction – I will follow it tonight and hope it finds some new clues.
This will be fun—thanks for your help … Mike Singer

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:37 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Here is a post by Microsoft on posible backup service not starting, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946339

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
msinger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:35 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

DieHard -- thanks for this link .. I susspect that the installater is not finding the Hard drives - because after I go through the recovery - they still are not visible -- at least from the Vista network view. I am going to try the remote-in tonight.
I saw yesterday that somebody said to reseat the drives -- so I did that last night. It worked fine - prior to this upgrade - so I thought this is a long shot - but I am trying those now. ...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:34 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

msinger wrote:
DieHard -- thanks for this link .. I susspect that the installater is not finding the Hard drives - because after I go through the recovery - they still are not visible -- at least from the Vista network view. I am going to try the remote-in tonight.
I saw yesterday that somebody said to reseat the drives -- so I did that last night. It worked fine - prior to this upgrade - so I thought this is a long shot - but I am trying those now. ...

Please explain, they still are not visible -- at least from the Vista network view.

Do you mean the shared folders are not visable or are you expecting to see the drives ?

You should be able to see an icon with your server name displayed in the network view, but you will not see the drives in the server. You should be able to see the shared folder list if you open up the server link.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
msinger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It sounds like the updates never completed from the server recoveries and also the PP3 package wasn't downloaded and installed. That's the only reason you get a pulsing blue light before the updates complete. The connector mismatch is probably pp3 not being installed on the server. I'm a little confused about the protocol 6.0.2030.2 and 0 because all programs are now at 6.0.2423.0. 2030 was PP1 or something early unless they kept internal protocol at 2030. It almost seems that the microsoft updates weren't installed or at least some of them.

edit: I would just use the disk and not mess with installing off the disk, something may be getting confused because you aren't doing it off the CD.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank erail for this post
msinger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 – Thanks for the RDP lesson for remote desktop. I followed your directions – logged on by server name and then password. Clicked on the Windows Home Server Console and get two error messages:
1. Windows Home Server Computer Backup Service is not running – I have seen this for 2 weeks:
image #1
2. Then I get this: “The WHS Console experienced a problem wit ha feature … retry or skip
3. image #2
4. I tried both retry and skip
5. The remote desktop is sitting here – the drive lights are flashing blue … the bottom 3 leds are solid blue - Right now there is nothing in the task bar.
6. I opened the shared folders shortcut – only shows Printers and faxes and scheduled tasks
7. I do see any way to do an update
Thanks for your help … Mike Singer (sorry I do not know how to insert images/ inline)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi erail -- thanks -- will try from the cds - now

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Diehard ..Please explain, they still are not visible -- at least from the Vista network view.
Do you mean the shared folders are not visable or are you expecting to see the drives ? yes -- I thought I would

You should be able to see an icon with your server name displayed in the network view, but you will not see the drives in the server. You should be able to see the shared folder list if you open up the server link.
From the network view - I do see my server name -- when I click on the shared folders - it takes me nowhere?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:22 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The lights are flashing blue because the installation is not complete.

Lets assume you have only 1 hard drive in your server and want to do a Factory Reset.
1st thing is to run the DVD to wipe all drives and install the new OS and setup the shares.
Because the EX470 is headless (no Monitor) you have to get the server into Recovery Mode.
One thing to remember is that you have to uninstall the old connector for the process to complete.
Since the EX470 doesn't have a DVD drive, you have put the server into Recovery Mode which sets it up to listen on the network for the WHS install DVD.
This is when you boot up the server and use the reset pin. It takes about 3-5 minutes for the server to get ready.
You then launch the Server Recovery DVD to find the server.
If you are successful, it will say it found the server and begin the install.
It will wipe all the drives if you choose Factory Restore. It will create a 20 gig C: partition, leave the rest of the drive blank, install the OS and reboot. After the reboot it will add the Product ID some minor stuff and reboot again.

Now it will continue the install, this is when the blue lights are flashing. If the connector software fails to install or you didn't uninstall the old connector, things will just stop here and you will think your finished, your not.
Once you install the connector software for the 1st time, the OOBE will start, this is when it asks you the server name and password and then it will create the D: partition and the default shared folders. Once that's all done the lights will stop flashing and you should be done.

The next time you run the connector you can then add users and computer to backup. This is when the PC will join the server and setup the backups. Hopefully this will complete properly.

Hopefully this explanation can give you an idea of where you are.

Last edited by Diehard on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Event log – removal – then install from CD
Product: HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1 -- Removal completed successfully.
Windows Installer removed the product. Product Name: HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1. Product Version: 3.0.13.33597. Product Language: 1033. Removal success or error status: 0.
Ending a Windows Installer transaction: {964D0D1C-1D28-4802-8EE8-345CC8D2633B}. Client Process Id: 4052.
Install from CD – leds and bottom leds are “breathing”
Server times – this is in the log : Detection of product '{4D612FB2-1AE7-4E46-9377-35BB2F06A787}', feature 'ISUM' failed during request for component '{D2D7B4BF-6CCA-11D5-8B3F-00105A9846E9}'
Detection of product '{4D612FB2-1AE7-4E46-9377-35BB2F06A787}', feature 'ISUM', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed. The resource 'F:\' does not exist.

Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: {4D612FB2-1AE7-4E46-9377-35BB2F06A787}. Client Process Id: 860.
Joining Windows Server – reboots several times: get unknown error and hit “back”
The description for Event ID 0 from source IDriverT cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Service started
Finally says configuring computer backup … (but never finishes)
Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\oem.msi. Client Process Id: 2672.
Starting session 1 - 4/14/2010 1:06:25 AM.
Service started successfully.
Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\oem.msi. Client Process Id: 2672.
Product: HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1 -- Installation operation completed successfully.
Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1. Product Version: 3.0.13.33597. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 0.
Ending session 1 started 4/14/2010 1:06:25 AM.

Error: The remote name could not be resolved: 'hphomeserver' at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at MSSConnectorService.MSSLongPoller.Poll()
Error: The remote name could not be resolved: 'hphomeserver' at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\WHSConnector.msi. Client Process Id: 7784.

Finally: The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.

Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.

The description for Event ID 0 from source esClient cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Service started

Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer HPSTORAGE uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.
The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped succesfully.
The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.

… again …
Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer HPHOMESERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.
The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped succesfully.

Thanks