It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So I'm currently using the EX470 as a file server, and was thinking about go away from WHS 2003 to something newer... I have the option of going to anywhere, but should I? And if so where? Just right into server 2012R2?

Did anyone ever figure out how to make the front LED's work? I would think there has to be some way to hack that out of the OEM disks...

Please move to anywhere you like if I filed in the wrong folder.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm honestly thinking of just keeping the 2003 on there because why upgrade, I wont gain anything other than more space. But 8TB less 20gig isn't awful.... And it looks nice... Biggest part is that I don't want to loose the lights, which sounds like I will if I upgrade to anything other than linux....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:11 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have stayed with whs v1. End result, no reason to change. Sure I'd get more space, but 8TB si fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:34 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I do miss my lights (took a video of them before I upgraded to WHS2011 and lost 'em!) but I had two 3TB HDDs and no place to use them, so after picking up WHS2011 from a Newegg blowout sale for $30, it was a no-brainer. I was able to use the 3TB HDDs and also gain continued support for the OS. While I was very used to the look of WHSv1, WHS2011 just does what I need it to do. In fact, I just recovered my HTPC boot drive earlier this week - after running a chkdesk on my SSD, it promptly rolled over and died. I pulled an SSD from another rig and an hour later my HTPC was back up and running.

I also don't blame anyone for sticking with WHSv1, especially if they aren't going to outgrow its capabilities any time soon. I love redundancy, and my WHS2011 allows me to feel very confident in its abilities to save my data and keep everything functional for me.

Thanks