It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 pm 

@yakuza

I looked at that page about a week ago and actually used that as the basis for my install. The issue comes up after these instructions (from that page)
Quote:
The easiest way to install Vail on these servers is to make or purchase a debug cable to provide keyboard, video, and mouse access to the server. However, fellow MVP Christoph Harding discovered that by changing the boot order in the BIOS he was able to allow the Vail installation to proceed. The following procedure should allow you to install Vail on your MediaSmart Server without a video connection, though it does require a USB keyboard.

Set up the flash key and hard drives as described in the first part of this guide
Make sure the Flash Key is in the bottom rear USB port
Attach a USB keyboard to another USB port on the server
Power on the server, and almost immediately begin pressing F12 repeatedly on the keyboard for approximately 10 seconds (too long won’t matter). This will gain you access to the boot list

OK, I made the cable. It works for video. Pressing F12 key does nothing. i can only assume the ps2 keyboard is the difference, however, my POST message indicates the acceptance of a USB keyboard so even that assumption could be wrong. Since I don't have a ps2 keyboard, and really don't feel like buying one, I've pretty much concluded that to use this box I'll just have to forego installing WHS2011 for the time being. I agree with Comp1962 in that an installation should be conventional if at all possible, using a debug board, seeing what you're doing first hand. At my age, the mysterious install isn't really an option. It was bad enough making the cable. 40 years ago it would have been no big deal. Now, I need a microscope and third and fourth hands. At the end of the day, I have to ask myself if it's really worth the hassle. That already made cable is pricey and I'd still have to buy an old keyboard and mouse. The cost to benefit ratio doesn't make sense considering a new updated non-proprietary server is around $300 to make.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

if we wanted to make our own cable whats the name of the header?. ive gone on looking for a good half hour and came up empty handed. i just need to know the parts and where to get them. i have tons of vga cables lying around i dont mind giving one the chop for the greater good.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:02 pm 

Look at this link: viewtopic.php?p=7295#p7295

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:58 pm 

no, your not the only one interested in this topic. im sitting here looking at a vga cable with one end stripped going, hmm....... So needless to say, you've saved me a lot of time. And for that sir, I thank you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:50 pm 

quick question, hopefully easy answer. i have had many different versions of the mediasmart line and am left now with only an ex49x version. i have made many debug cables along the way and have never had any real issues until now. it seems no matter what configuration of cables or jumpers, or cables and jumpers lol, i do i do not get the "del" to enter bios option. the closest i can ever get is the f11 keyw ill respond and works in the OS environment. at present i have stripped the plug down to vga (rgb+ and - H and Vsync+ and -) and keyboard clock and datat and +5v. so now i just keep playing around on the pin 3 and 4 and sometimes 10 included. is there some dark evil magic spell i must learn to get this to cooperate? any help appreciated. below is a diagram of what i have stripped down to atm if that helps. need any more info just let me know. and thx in advance.

:sanjuan:

p.s. i have read through and tried everything on another post (since new registered i can't post the link but its on this forum) to no avail. i'll post the question there too as i'm new to posting here so plz forgive me if that is a no no and just delete the one not needed. just wasn't sure which post actually gets traffic.

01 (PS2 K/B 5V - SOMETIMES THIS PIN ALONE OR VARIANTS 1+2 OR PIN 2 ALONE)
02 (PS2 K/B 5V)
03 (PS2 K/B GROUND - SOMETIMES THIS PIN ALONE OR VARIANTS 3+4+10 OR 3+4 OR 3+10 OR 4+10)
04 (PS2 K/B GROUND)
05 X
06 (PS2 K/B DATA)
07 X
08 (PS2 K/B CLOCK)
09 X
10 (~SOMETIMES GROUNDED TO PIN 3 OR 4 OR ALL 3 COMBINED OR NOT AT ALL)
11 X
12 X
13 X
14 (VGA-RED)
15 X
16 (VGA-RED-GROUND)
17 (VSYNC GROUND)
18 (VGA-GREEN)
19 (VGA-VSYNC)
20 (VGA-GREEN-GROUND)
21 (VGA-HSYNC GROUND)
22 (VGA-BLUE)
23 (VGA-HSYNC)
24 (VGA-BLUE-GROUND)
25 X
26 X

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:47 pm 

You have to set the jumper on the Motherboard to unlock the BIOS. If you search the forums you should be able to find out which jumper needs to be set.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:26 am 

i have done it with the jumper set and not set. its not my first rodeo lol. i even, at one point, shorted the jumper by solder thinking maybe my jumpers had just been ragged out and not making good connection. in the past i was able to access the bios as i upgraded the cpu. so when i started the project i'm on now, i put the original ram and cpu back in the unit and the "del" option still never shows up on the bootup. this is a new cable, and i don't have the old one or the cash to buy a vov box. but like i posted, i've tried every conceivable combinations of groundings and jumpers i could think of and the bios option never shows up. have even ran through 7 different keyboards (including one i know works on these ex49x servers) that all but one light up and keys such as numbers lock light up. even rewired the cable and tried all variations of combinations using a thicker gauge wire, and even tried kynar wire. still nadda :( thx again though, i wish it was just me forgetting about the jumper.

*edit. i might add to all the voltages and such read out as they should and no unintended shorts.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:19 am 

I know this is an old thread but has anyone with looked into the remote access settings in the bios. One of the pics of the advanced setting page shown this near the bottom. I wonder if this would turn on a VNC server at the hardware level?

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/blog/wp ... vanced.jpg

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17