It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:16 pm 

Hello! I am new owner of a an HP EX470. I have had the EX470 since just after the new year and there haven't been any problems until recently.

I have only one hard drive in the WHS (the one that came installed in the EX470 (a ST359963 0AS SCSI Disk Device from the Server Storage "tab" in the WHS Console), so I figured that the recent corruption problems wouldn't affect me or what I am doing with the WHS.

However, I have lately seen some weird behavior in that the WHS Consoles reports that the disk drive needs to be repaired! This is highly unusual since the WHS is used almost exclusively used as a store - I dump stuff into it, stream music from it, but that's all.

I right click on the drive in the WHS console, select "Repair" and it goes and does something (i.e. the red LED on the WHS goes blue). I have Remote Desktopped into the WHS and have reviewed the system logs (right click on 'My Computer,' select 'Manage'), and there is no indication that there were problems with the drive itself.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation? Is this abnormal behaviour? Is there a S.M.A.R.T. monitor for the WHS?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:27 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I've only personally had it once, and that was when I got carried away playing with Perfect Disk. If you are getting it constantly, there are a few things worth checking to see what the cause is.

The best place to look would be in the eventlog on the server, so just RDP onto the server and click Start, Administrative Tools and open the Event Viewer. Check the System Log and see if there is anything untoward.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:12 pm 

I found the following suspicious event in the System Log, but it didn't correspond (in time) to the errors that were reported through the WHS Console:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: VolSnap
Event Category: None
Event ID: 25
Date: 1/20/2008
Time: 12:09:48 AM
User: N/A
Computer: (I removed the name)
Description:
The shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 58 00 ......X.
0008: 00 00 00 00 19 00 06 c0 .......À
0010: 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
Clicking on the link (above) within the Event Log viewer points to this Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925799/en-us
It indicates that Service Pack 1 should have corrected this issue, and MSS has Service Pack 2 installed which I would have thought addresses this issue, too.

Thanks