It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:44 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Ah, okay! I'll mostly ignore it, then.

Actually, as soon as I saw there was a new post to this topic, I checked the lights and they were blinking. As soon as I finished reading the new post, I checked the lights again, and they're back to normal. I should have been watching--could have caught them in the act of stopping blinking!

I'll be curious to see if they quit doing it if and when I upgrade the RAM. (Haven't done that yet.) In the meantime, though, I have to go spend some quality time with my brand new HP laptop.

Thanks, John and Yakuza,
Kira

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:26 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

kira13 wrote:
No problem. But do you have any other ideas?

Incidentally, it was blinking most of yesterday (every time I looked at it), but today it's back to normal again. It goes away on its own. My previous conjecture was that it might be a sign that the system is doing a hard drive check; is there any way to tell that? I do know how to use Remote Desktop Connection, but I don't use it often because I don't want to break anything that's working. (As an inveterate tweaker on my standard systems, I worry that I will forget what system I'm on and start tweaking the server. And I don't generally know the inner workings of servers.)

Thanks,
Kira

I have never seen the drive lights change as the result of any sort of activity.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:35 pm 

I have the same problem...blinking drive lights blue/purple. I can reboot and everything seems normal for a few days then the blinking starts again. I can't believe no one seems to know what this means!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:30 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

You guys don't happen to be unknowingly running the Easter Egg light display do you?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:12 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just had this happen for the second time (over the life of my MSS)... So it's like once a year as noted in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2473&p=54232#p54232)

But darn it... like I say in that post! Freaky when it happens!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:01 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

@JohnBick:

Nope, not running the Easter Egg. (Hmm, apparently reading this thread prompted it to do it again just now! I just got a new hard drive for Christmas and am getting ready to add it, came here to check info about removing my non-pool drive, and noticed that there were new posts in this thread, and it wasn't blinking when I looked at it before glancing again while responding now. Well, off to find the info I came for.)

Kira

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I've had a wierd similar issue. Home server says my 2 drives are healthy and yet no hard drive lights are lit. I know the fuse is not blown as the easter egg / light show add in work just fine.

It does this even if pc's have completed backups.

I don't want to use it as I feel i'm going to have to do a factory reset when v3 comes out to wipe and reinstall. Hardware monitor appears fine. The only thing is I have a VGA cable, 2GB, and a Dual Core BE-2300 AMD X2 1.9.

I installed all Windows and HP updates including PP3 to no avail.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:17 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm sorry to say I don't know why your lights don't work, DoubleDown; I'm posting because I just discovered another odd blinking pattern. My server currently has 4 drives--3 in the pool, 1 not (that's 3 blue lights, one purple, normally). The other night, I discovered it blinking blue and purple, not all 3 pool drives in unison, but alternating: blue-purple-blue, then purple-blue-purple. As with the other blinking pattern, the non-pool drive was just off. I am assuming until proven wrong that it's just a variation of the 3 lights blinking together.

Not that I need answers, I just found it interesting. It seems to be trying to provide me with a light show without me having to even bother triggering the Easter egg. :)

Kira

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 pm 

My EX470 does this occasionally, too. It's been doing it for as long as I can remember. I didn't think to search for the possible cause, until today.

Do we have any updated information as to what the alternating blue/purple flashes actually indicates? My WHS doesn't seem to be experiencing any problems.

Thanks