It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:12 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi,
long time no post, everything was working so smoothly that I forgot I had a home server. Until today...

I needed to expand my storage array, which consists of an EX475 and a sans digital tr4u, the combination of which has always worked flawlessly. This morning I tried to add a tr4utbpn to the setup. The new unit was configured as JBOD and I did the reset while power on to lock in the new configuration. The unit is connected to the WHS via usb. I added a WD20EARS drive with idle timer disabled and the jumper on pins 7+8 for the 4k support on server 2003 (may not be necessary in usb enclosures). To my suprise I was unable to initialize the disk and the event viewer shows lots of errors. However, I was event more surprised that initialization and format worked fine on Windows 7. At the moment I am formatting the same disk on a WHS installation running on VMWare. The format is proceeding without errors so far. So the problem seems to be restricted to the EX475. Any one have a clue what the problem is? Are there updated usb drivers I should use?

Thanks,
rev

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:45 pm 

Hi,
I see a few people posted that they changed their fans in their Sans Digital RAID enclosurers. I'm concerned because my hard drives in my TR5UT stay in the mid 40's (Celsius). Anyone notice a drop in hard drive temperature after installing new fans, as that would be my goal... I posted something on the Sans Digital forum, but haven't seen any responses yet. Thanks!

http://www.sansdigital.com/index.php?op ... =4858#4894

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:36 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Just purchased the latest variant of the TR5M+ Black edition. Had to really as the space for a hot disk swap in my EX490 wasnt possible as I didnt have enough room to remove one from the pool in the event of a planned swap. So after years of good service from my EX490 and this forum I decided to get the enclosure.

Its a very nice piece of kit, simple and does the job but.... As some of you have mentioned... The fans! For me I have to have the device in the same room as my media playing devices and the noise was just too loud. The 120mm is a Comdell (Chinese) DF1202512ESN(?) http://www.comdall.com/en/product/31/View/108.html which from the specs is a 12v 3400rpm fan, 103CFM flow and 46dB(A) !!!. It was quite loud compared to the EX490 but I would say it did a good job in cooling the disks.

In standard format and ambient room temperature of 20 the WD Reds were running at 28 to 30 degrees but the noise is too much for me. I have now removed the 120 fan in preparation for a replacement and the disks are now running at about 38, so not awful but still warm. I intend to replace the 120mm with a Noctua NF-S12B FLX Ultra Quiet 120mm. Although this only has about half the airflow it is rated at a very quiet 18dB(A) and I still think this will be adequate.

The next issue (sorry I seem to be very fussy) is the smaller 40mm PSU fan which has a very annoying high pitched tone and I have decided to replace this as well with another Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX 40mm x 10mm. whcih is only rated at 17.9dB(A).

The final issue is that the internal backplane doesn't use a standard 3 pin fan connector for the larger fan and there is a small splice for the fan 3 pin to the smaller Sans 2 pin connection... seems a bit of a kludge really.

I just wish the enclosure had slightly quieter fans or at least Sans Digital could offer a "Ultra quiet" version which I would be prepared to pay a little bit more for. Maybe even change the default fan to a lower rpm version?

Anyway just some observations and I will let you know how I get on.

Update 23rd Oct: Ok so the fans arrived, very professional with lots of connections and 3M quickloks for the 40mm fan.
40mm replacement: Disassembling the TRM is pretty straightforward and just a little fiddly to get the PSU at least hanginging out of the frame. You can't remove it totally as I couldn't see how to release it from the front switch. Also Just be aware of the hidden screw in the top part of the PSU clamshell cover under the part number label. I just peeled the tamper label back to stick back later :)

The next issue was releasing the old 40mm fan which was a fullwidth 20mm which just needs a little bending of the rear wall of the PSU and wiggling. You can decide whether to reuse the existing 2 pin connector or swap the red and black leads on the new Noctua fan as the gnd and 12v are reversed on the PSU board. After that just replace the fan, screw it in and replace the PSU in reverse.

120mm replacement: Now this was alot easier and as the new fan came with a Female/Male Molex to 2 pin connector I didnt even bother to try and reuse the tiny SANS 2 pin connector on the backplane. I did use the ULTRA low noise in line connector for even lower fan speeds

So the result, a big improvement and the high pitched whine has gone. I may even add in one of the other in line connectors to drop the fan speed even lower. Its still not as godly quiet as the EX490 but I am pleased with the result. Disks running about 32 degrees.

Cheers
Rip

EX490, E8400 Ubuntu server 16.04
EX475 Athlon BE-2350 2.1GHz WHS v1

Last edited by Ripstop on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:33 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't have a answer for the fan but most drives are rated to operate on up to 50c-60c
So I don't see 38c to be a bad thing.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Howdy all:

I know this is an older thread but currently facing an issue with my Sans Digital TR8u. I tried to reach Stanley, and he either hasn't replied, or is no longer with Sans DIgital.

Long story short, my TR8U will not detect all drives, only 6 of them. Through searching, I came across this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3689

My TR8U is one of the original rollout ones, so I likely have the same issue as the other user. Does anyone know of the "cable" they provided, or the modification needed to the PSU to power the 8 drives? I'm handy, just don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:39 pm 

If you do not hear back from Stanley then someone from Sans Digital will reply but to be on the safe side I would try to contact support and let them know your issue and also that you have made an attempt to contact Stanley. http://www.sansdigital.com/support.html

Sometimes it takes a couple business days to get a response but they have always responded to my requests mostly for information.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30