It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Has anyone seen any posts giving some detail of the TRM5B and how much power it uses with say 5 green power drives loaded?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:49 pm 
Founder
Founder

I've got some power measurements in my review: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/01 ... enclosure/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:47 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

TommySharp wrote:
Has anyone seen any posts giving some detail of the TRM5B and how much power it uses with say 5 green power drives loaded?

I've got one of the TRM5B and four of the TRM4B enclosures attached to my unRAID server. All together they certainly draw a fair amount of power. More than I though it would be. More than the six Mediasonic enclosures I use with my MSS WHS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:57 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Quote:
The TR5M-B does not alter the drives' information. My guess is the driver on Sil3531 driver. Instead of downgrading it, please update to the latest version and test it out and let me know how that goes.

I have been trying every driver version of the Sil3531 I can find. Latest version (1.5.20.1) does nothing for these problems. Last night 4 of 5 drives dropped offline. Only the first drive in the TR5MB remained connected. Changed eSATA cable. Lost them again this morning. Am trying driver 1.5.9.0 now. Will see how it goes.

Could a weak power supply in the TR5MB cause this?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:41 am 

Hope I'm not too far off topic, but expect I might find some TR4M experts on this one.

Using a DIY WHS V1 and loaded 4x WD20EARS in a TR4M with drives jumpered.
Working like a charm for the most part, but sporadically, all 4 drives show as 'missing' in disk management.
A simple reboot from the remote console and all is well again.
It can run for weeks and then crash every few hours or days for a while.

The drives are quite full.
I've since bought a 2nd TR4M and swapped out the SIL controller card, no apparent difference.

Next is to swap the entire TR4M and see.

As I'm prepping for WHS V2, REALLY need to ensure a RAID 5 is rock solid.
Right now, they are all just separate drives added to the storage pool.
I use 3x Vantec MX 2BAY enclosure load with 6 Seagate 1.5TB drives as a 'back-up' over USB.

The MB is an ASUS with 4 sata II ports on board, but I don't think if I use some external cables to bring the MB sate to rear esata it will drive the TR4M, will it?

Are there some other controllers I should consider or is this a TR4M chassis issues, or WHS V1 /Driver issue?

Going to WHS 2011, what is suggested to use a single or pair of TR4M, hardware raid of the SIL controller or software raid in the OS?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

i have an EX475 w/ TR4M connected via eSATA (port multiplier).

Is there any way to reliably connect an additional TR4M to the same EX475 via eSATA?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:43 pm 

Not really. Your only option to expand beyond where you are now is to get a USB port multiplier.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
byronomo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

DigitalDude wrote:
Hope I'm not too far off topic, but expect I might find some TR4M experts on this one.

Using a DIY WHS V1 and loaded 4x WD20EARS in a TR4M with drives jumpered.
Working like a charm for the most part, but sporadically, all 4 drives show as 'missing' in disk management.
A simple reboot from the remote console and all is well again.
It can run for weeks and then crash every few hours or days for a while.

The drives are quite full.
I've since bought a 2nd TR4M and swapped out the SIL controller card, no apparent difference.

Next is to swap the entire TR4M and see.

As I'm prepping for WHS V2, REALLY need to ensure a RAID 5 is rock solid.
Right now, they are all just separate drives added to the storage pool.
I use 3x Vantec MX 2BAY enclosure load with 6 Seagate 1.5TB drives as a 'back-up' over USB.

The MB is an ASUS with 4 sata II ports on board, but I don't think if I use some external cables to bring the MB sate to rear esata it will drive the TR4M, will it?

Are there some other controllers I should consider or is this a TR4M chassis issues, or WHS V1 /Driver issue?

Going to WHS 2011, what is suggested to use a single or pair of TR4M, hardware raid of the SIL controller or software raid in the OS?

Hmm I'll try to help, can you tell me the following:
Are you using the bundled controller? If yes, which versions? Are you able to swap the TR4M and does the problem persist?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:58 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

On another thread.............

This box is great, so far is working fine (I do not shut it off) the fan is a bit annoying it runs at one speed (fast) but is not so loud as to overwhelm my PC's Fans, still it can't beat the Stealthiness quiet of the HP EX490.

I hope this little info helps you.

EDIT
Replaced both stock fans on the Sans Digital box with quieter version and the difference is Night & Day incase anyone is interested I used the following fans:
1. (1)Mini-Kaze 40mm (p/n SY124010L) This fan is slimmer than the factory fan and requires to use the fan connector from the factory fan..
2. (1)S-FLEX 120mm (p/n SFF21D) This fan also requires to use the fan connector from the factory fan and the cage that clips on the old fan will have a tight fit(cage is not needed to install fan).

My Question:

I have a TR5M-B & new TR5M-BP. I'd like to silence both!

How do you replace the 40mm Power Supply fan? The 40mm fan seems to be encased in the bent together sealed power supply.

Here is a video I took to show where I'm at. (I'm starting with the new TR5M-BP since the -B is in use right now)

http://youtu.be/4D_cC_jp4BI

As you can see problem one is the power supply won't slide out the side. (need 1" more clearance) I don't see a way to take apart the case further) Also, looking at the power supply it doesn't look possible to get inside to replace the 40mm fan. (did you bend/cut into it?) What can I do?

I saw a modified one for sale online and asked the guy how he did it. So far he said he used:
-Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120 x 120 x 25 mm Fan w/ S-FDB Bearing
-Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XM1 40mmx10mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 2800 RPM - 11 dBA

He didnt say "how" he did it though. (replied and asked him) The 120mm is easy of course.

I don't want the subtle yet annoying high pitch noise of the power supply fan 24/7.

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm 

Your video is set to PRIVATE so I was not able to view it.

I suggest you contact the good folks at Sans Digital and explain what it is you want to do. Anytime I have asked them for information they have been more than accomodating. Some of the information I have requested they have provided to me for my projects even though they were under no real obligation to provide the info I was requesting.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:04 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I figured it out, all I had to do was remove the empty drive bays. (totally over looked the obvious)

Once those are out, I can take out the power supply box through the front.

Two screws, clamshell opens, bend metal slightly and fan will come out.

Here are the super quiet fans I bought. They are on order now. I'll have to cut wires and connect wires backup via crimp connectors. (should be easy)

fan-582
Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XM1 40mmx10mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 2800 RPM - 11 dBA
$12.95

fan-603
Coolink SWiF2-1200 120 x 25mm Hydro-Dynamic Bearing Fan - (800RPM 8.5dBA/60.4ml/h)
$14.95

I'm looking forward to a quiet room with massive storage!

P.S. I saw the san digital forums and they only suggest RMA to order the SAME stock fans. (which are loud, so useless to rma)
This project is all about DIY

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:20 pm 

I never RMA fans I just yank them an replace them myself. Noise doesn't bother me but the one thing you do need to look at is how much air the new fans move. Sometimes but not always quieter fans often have a lower CFM rating. I have a similar unit sold under the name of Rosewill that I did not think was horribly loud but then again noise doesn't bother me. I am abit different then most in that I prefer good air flow and if it comes with fan noise its ok with me. Nothing I have here makes more noise then my ProLiant when the fans kick into high speed but if I keep the ambiant air temp at 75 f you can still hear the fans but the server is in another room.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:23 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I had considered replacing the fans in my 5-bay Sans Digital. I only use it for my weekly backup, where I turn it on manually usually on Sunday, then RDP into the server to run a PowerShell script to backup to the drives.

As such, I haven't bothered trying to quite the thing down. But maybe some day I'll get around to it... so...

Where did you order your fans?

And certainly report back for how it goes.

I think it is funny that the Sans Digital folks are so willing to help out with their stuff, but it never occurs to them that their product and its fans are too loud and that maybe they should change them. It is a black mark on an otherwise pretty good product.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:38 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi there - I'm having a problem with my TRU8 tower. I had issues connecting more than 4 drives a couple of years ago and completed the Molex cable fix which solved my issues. However, I've just added a 7th drive to the tower and the unit will not stay powered on or boot with more than 6 drives. I'm guessing this is a power issue in some way, as when I pull any of the other drives and power the unit on (total of 6 in any configuration), the unit will stay powered on without any problems.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be? As I said, I completed the Molex cable solution a couple years ago so I'm not sure that's the problem...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:20 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Just replaced my TRM4-B (4x 1TB drives).
Had it for 3 years and 3 months before the power supply gave out. Not quite as good as I would have liked - back in 2008 I paid $199 for it. Usually ran for 16 - 20 hours per day
So it was $59 for a new power supply or $99 for a complete new unit (from Newegg) with warranty. So I went for the new unit.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next