It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Easier than brain surgery, guaranteed! You should be able to disconnect a few wires, pull the old one and then hook up the new one and screw it in. You'll have more of a challenge getting Medicare reiumbursements for patients seen than upgrading this PSU IMHO! :lol:

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for the good laugh. That was funny.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:06 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Oh no sweat. But it really should be easy to do...and if you have problems, I'm sure there is someone on the board willing to help you out. Just let us know.

Jim

P.S. A first...I can now tell my wife that someone actually laughed at my humor!

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:19 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just upgraded my EX495 with a TRM5B enclosure. Everything works fine except for SMART data monitoring.

I use 2 WHS Add-ins, Disk Management and Home Server Smart.

Disk Management shows no temperature for any drives in the TR5MB and says "temp not supported". (I have 1 WD 2TB EADS and 1 Samsung 2TB HD204UI installed) I have the same drives also in the EX495 itself, and they show all SMART data fine. All other drive data is displayed,
and under storage details, it shows "healthy" under SMART.

Home Server Smart Add-in shows nothing for any drives in the TR5MB.

Is this normal? Otherwise all the drives work fine..but would like the capability to have SMART data monitoring!

Have been searching on the support forums for these add-ins, but haven't found much recent information. It seems that I am running the latest driver for the SiI 3531 controller too.

Anyone else experience this issue?

I am currently trying different eSATA cables but so far no difference.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I got a TR4M Sans Digital, currently its hooked to my ex475 but its final resting place is going to be ex495. I tried to read this post but it became too much. I have a few questions:

1) when I try to add or remove drives while unit is on it locks up my ex475 and the TR4M and neither will recognize the drives

2) The temps in the unit are a bit higher then comparable drives in the mss itself is this the norm?

3) kwwintl on page 10 has a picture of exactly what im seeing on my drive: Attention Required also shows 0 for used and free space. I can see that drive only in the console and add-ins disk management and smart. I can only see one of the 2 drives in my computer. if I take the attention required drive and hook it up through a thermatake dock to my laptop I can see DATA.

4) the activity light on the front of the unit looks more like it red then orange. The power light always stays orange is that right?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:39 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I have completed tearing down, upgrading, and rebuilding my EX495

My setup is in my sig.

I have just noticed that the TR4MB is no longer reporting SMART data.

I have also added the TR4UB.

Before now the TR4MB had always reported this information.

What can I do to correct this?
Is the addition of the TR4UB the issue?

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I also noticed that the TR4M Locks up my Ex475 to an almost unuseable state. is this about right?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Here's what I can answer about the above few questions (some I need more info on to be answered):

1) when I try to add or remove drives while unit is on it locks up my ex475 and the TR4M and neither will recognize the drives

Update the Marvell Driver used on the EX475 to see if the problem persist.

2) The temps in the unit are a bit higher then comparable drives in the mss itself is this the norm?

The unit is the metal casing and part of the heat is despaired via the case. Unless the cooling fan is not working, it is normal

3) kwwintl on page 10 has a picture of exactly what im seeing on my drive: Attention Required also shows 0 for used and free space. I can see that drive only in the console and add-ins disk management and smart. I can only see one of the 2 drives in my computer. if I take the attention required drive and hook it up through a thermatake dock to my laptop I can see DATA.

Does the problem happen on every drives?

4) the activity light on the front of the unit looks more like it red then orange. The power light always stays orange is that right?

That is correct. Red and orange indicate the hard drives is being access. Power light always still on.

I have just noticed that the TR4MB is no longer reporting SMART data.
I have also added the TR4UB.
Before now the TR4MB had always reported this information.
What can I do to correct this?
Is the addition of the TR4UB the issue?

The TR4U and TR4M do not interact with each other so the case of adding TR4U causing a problem is very unlikely. The TR4M detects the SMART data and passes along via the eSATA cable. Once it goes to EX475/EX495, the chipset used on the motherboard will decode and present it to the WSS. If you recently updated the unit, please see if the latest driver fixes this issues.

Hope that helps :banana:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank etachi for this post
T-Bone
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Does the problem happen on every drives?

Answer: NO, I only have 2 and both have data on them I just needed to see if from the MSS interface to transfer files. It was a huge no go. I can see it in disk management and smart but not in my computer.

Where can I find the Marvel driver? is that the same drive that controls nic? if so I upgraded that a while back if not how do I upgrade it....

Also thanks for your help

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

For the Marvel driver, it is used on the EX475 server. For WHS environment, the drives may not see under my computer because of Microsoft drive extender. Do you see both disk data in the network share?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I need some help/advice:

I have an EX475 (2X500GB, 2X1.5TB) + a SansDigital TR4MB w/ 4X2TB connected by eSATA.

Light #3 on the SansDigital remains red while others are green. I am unable to connect to my EX475 to see what is going on.

Can anyone recommend what steps I should take to diagnose/resolve this problem?

Edit: Crisis averted---for now. After waiting....light finally turned green again and I am able to access the WHS Console via the connector. All drives are reportig as "Healthy".

I'd still like to know what I should've done, in case this drive is starting to flake out.

While my heart is still beating fast I might as well throw the following question out there:

What's the best way to back-up the entire server pool??

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

byronomo wrote:
I need some help/advice:

I have an EX475 (2X500GB, 2X1.5TB) + a SansDigital TR4MB w/ 4X2TB connected by eSATA.

Light #3 on the SansDigital remains red while others are green. I am unable to connect to my EX475 to see what is going on.

Can anyone recommend what steps I should take to diagnose/resolve this problem?

Edit: Crisis averted---for now. After waiting....light finally turned green again and I am able to access the WHS Console via the connector. All drives are reportig as "Healthy".

I'd still like to know what I should've done, in case this drive is starting to flake out.

While my heart is still beating fast I might as well throw the following question out there:

What's the best way to back-up the entire server pool??

Hello,

If it is still on RED, it is likely being detected or accessing. In your case, the unit is able to see the drive and return to the green LED.

Backup can be done by third party software, or by using the build-in utilities. You can backup to USB drives using their backup utility.

Hope that helps :TR4M:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello everybody,
Just wanted to say I'm a new representative of Sans Digital, and if you have any questions feel free to post here and I'll answer them to the best of my ability!
Best regards,
Etachi

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:09 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

etachi wrote:
Hello everybody,
Just wanted to say I'm a new representative of Sans Digital, and if you have any questions feel free to post here and I'll answer them to the best of my ability!
Best regards,
Etachi

I am getting some strange behavior with my EX495 & TRM5B enclosure. Last night, 4 of the 5 drives dropped offline. It's looks like it happened during the computer backup time (2-6am). I changed my eSATA cable, and also downgraded my SIL 3531 driver back one version. Tried some large transfers to a backup drive while doing a computer backup today, and couldn't get any of them to drop off again. But when I RDP to the server, I noticed a new icon on the taskbar: safely remove devices. And all the drives in the TR5MB are listed for safe removal, as if they are USB devices! Never saw that before. Obviously you wouldn't want to do that! I also use HD Sentinel for HD monitoring of my drives. My last drive, a Samsung HD204UI 2TB drive, is always identified as a WD EADS drive, no matter what bays I switch drives to. Server Storage, and also the the Disk Management add-in identify my drives correctly, although no temperature data is shown in Disk Management for the drives in the TR5MB. This latter behavior has persisted since I started using this enclosure, and despite several cable & driver changes. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the TR5MB? It's still under warranty. Or perhaps, it's just not truly compatible with the MediaSmart servers? The only thing I have not tried yet, is a server restore of the system disk. Haven't had the time to try that one yet. But there are other threads about drives dropping off during heavy load transfers, or SMART info not being accurate/available, and a server restore didn't fix it. Any others experience this behavior? Any suggestions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:32 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

580guy wrote:
etachi wrote:
Hello everybody,
Best regards,
Etachi

I am getting some strange behavior with my EX495 & TRM5B enclosure. Last night, 4 of the 5 drives dropped offline. It's looks like it happened during the computer backup time (2-6am). I changed my eSATA cable, and also downgraded my SIL 3531 driver back one version. Tried some large transfers to a backup drive while doing a computer backup today, and couldn't get any of them to drop off again. But when I RDP to the server, I noticed a new icon on the taskbar: safely remove devices. And all the drives in the TR5MB are listed for safe removal, as if they are USB devices! Never saw that before. Obviously you wouldn't want to do that! I also use HD Sentinel for HD monitoring of my drives. My last drive, a Samsung HD204UI 2TB drive, is always identified as a WD EADS drive, no matter what bays I switch drives to. Server Storage, and also the the Disk Management add-in identify my drives correctly, although no temperature data is shown in Disk Management for the drives in the TR5MB. This latter behavior has persisted since I started using this enclosure, and despite several cable & driver changes. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the TR5MB? It's still under warranty. Or perhaps, it's just not truly compatible with the MediaSmart servers? The only thing I have not tried yet, is a server restore of the system disk. Haven't had the time to try that one yet. But there are other threads about drives dropping off during heavy load transfers, or SMART info not being accurate/available, and a server restore didn't fix it. Any others experience this behavior? Any suggestions?

The TR5M-B does not alter the drives' information. My guess is the driver on Sil3531 driver. Instead of downgrading it, please update to the latest version and test it out and let me know how that goes.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next