It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:02 am 

I received an old EX475 with 2GB DDR2 and Sempron 3400+ CPU, but no hdd. I think this is an upgraded EX475.
1. At first boot (and later) I saw that is neccesarry to press multiple times the power button to power on the MSS, why? I'n not sure there is a PSU issue because the MSS stay on power for hours after a succesful boot.
2. After boot routine, the power led and ethernet are blue Solid colour , without any blink . Only the health led shows a blinking pink/fuchsie light. The MSS front panel led colour remains red, with or without hdd attached (first is WD 160GB on the bottom slot, the second hdd in any other slot).
3. I reading many pages of these forums and finally I managed to download iso images for recovery from the page 17 EX470 Server Recovery Disc topic. When I try to buid USB bootable with some tools (Windows USB tool, remprepusb, unetbootin, etc) I have the message about invalid iso image. Is a issue about affected iso trough zip archive , a specific HP iso image?
4. I tried to create a bootable DVD with the same issues related to invalid boot iso image. After the forced creation of the bootable DVD I installed the server but the HPupdate application fails to update and the MSS server is not found. Other apps fails to run, probably not fully installed on DVD. But there is a new IP connected in the router software. There are no other differences when connecting an Ethernet cable directly.
5. I reading about SMI USB reflash, I have the files, I know how to resetting the SMI chip but I don't know if is neccesary...
The MSS has 4 HDD but the previous owner sold them before sent me the MSS, so I dont know any about the state of the MSS...
The computer has Win7 32 bit.
Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:25 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, welcome to the best place on the net for Media-smart info. :mss:

First things first you have to have the correct software that is for the server you have.
Their are 3 versions of servers and they all have their own server recovery/software/client recovery discs.
The first gen was the EX-470 They have version 1 and version 3 discs.
Then there is the EX-480 series that have their own server recovery/software/client recovery discs.
And then the EX-490 series that has its own server recovery/software/client recovery discs.

Hopefully the iso you downloaded and burned to dvd are the correct ones as they are specific to each server series.

The direct connect seems to be the easiest way to perform a server recovery.
Lots of things can cause a recovery to have problems.

This is a list of how to perform a recovery/reset that have worked for me.
1) prefer to use a win7 or xp client to perform the recovery/reset.
2) Copy the contents of the "Server recovery disc" and "Software disc" to the desktop of client.
3) Connect the server to the client directly with cat5/6 cable.
4) with 500gig to 2tb known good drive in bottom bay.
5) server powered off and client booted up in safe mode with networking. if client is a laptop, disable the wireless.
6) from the folder on your desktop where you copied the contents of the server cd run the setup.exe and wait for the first screen.
7) after clicking a screen or two you will be at the (instructions on how to start the process.
8 ) It will tell you to power up the server and wait for the red/blue/red/blue/red/blue lights then press and release the tiny button in the tiny hole lower front middle and this will hopefully cause the light to change to aqua/purple which means you are in recovery mode.
9) then click ok and the software will try and find the server. if it does then in a while you should get a couple of reboots from the server as it lays down the OS and at some point it will ask you to install the "software"
10) That is when I power the server down and connect it to the network, switch or router. Then power it back up and then on the client run the software and you are almost done.
All this takes about an hour or so.

This is the basic steps, let us know if you have any problems or process failures along the way...
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:11 am 

Ok, thank you for your prompt answer.
As I said, the error also persists in launching WHS Recovery.exe, looks in the attachament.

I do not understand why 7zip does not open the iso image from the @djyox link on page 16 of the discussion about EX470 Server Recovery Disc topic.

Attachments:
2017-07-02_180703.png
2017-07-02_180703.png [ 14.86 KiB | Viewed 24320 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well a iso is a disk image intended to be burned to a dvd or usb drive.
It is not a zip file or rar or gzip.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 am 

Let's say I know that :) ...
If I referred to the zip archive, you know too well that the iso image I'm referencing is compressed zip to be keeped in cloud.
And this is the only iso image that has error when trying to make USB bootable flash, the other runs without any problems.
I think it's possible to corrupt the image either when downloading or unzipping or writing to DVD.
I will install Xp 32 bit SP3 today to remove the computer as the source of error in the recovery process, but after coming home from work, and I will try to run the server recovery with the specified DVD.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:00 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yes, zip files and iso files can get corrupted. I use and have used poweriso for years, bought the lifetime . But there are many other iso burners.
Also, you may know, when burning an iso OS you normally want to use one of the slowest settings. I have had problems with burning Iso of OS'es in the past when I cranked them up to full speed burn.

The power button problem could just be worn out. These 470 systems are showing their age.
I recommend if someone is going to stay with a system to go to ebay and try and find a cheap (same model) for spare parts and may even get disc with it.

Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:34 am 

That's the error.
Here is the zip downloaded (and the size), the iso and writing error for rufus.
I asked @djyox and he never received a negative feedback about the zip file.
Attachment:
2017-07-03_172941.png
2017-07-03_172941.png [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 24248 times ]
Attachment:
2017-07-03_172903.png
2017-07-03_172903.png [ 673.74 KiB | Viewed 24248 times ]

About the power button: @Gardian, for me is just a challenge to power on the MSS and put to work. However, for a media server I think is slightly odd to invest money in a deprecated hardware ...

LE: @Gardian, that's what I've done so far:
1. Installed XP SP3 with dotnet 2.0,
2. I mounted the image with WinCDEmu4.0 and copied the whole dvd to USB
3. direct connection with cat5e cable,
4. Now I have a 160GB WD sata disk :(
5. check!
6. HPMSSRecovery has just only the WHSRecovery.exe in the root. The setup.exe is in the Home Server Connector Software directory and cannot running in safe mode. When I run WHSRecovery a message says about uninstalling all HP app and restart of the MSS server with reset button pressed.
I have not encountered any errors now. Only the server is not found ...
Tommorow I'll be back ;) , with new forces, after working time...

I'm not working in IT, but mechanic, sorry for too detaliated descriptions :( .

Last edited by alindumitru46 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:50 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

What I would do is get the iso files out of the Zip, then try to burn them.
I have seen programs that could not get the file till it was un-zipped.

http://www.freeisoburner.com/
Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:41 pm 

I still have problems. The time is not my best friend in these days :(
I tried with iso image mounted with WinCDEmu 4.0 and now the WHSRecovery.exe app runs on win7 64bit but MSS cannot be detected .
I connected the MSS to my computer via the router, a new IP and MAC address appears there, but the server name does not appear, is an asterisc. Ping commands finds the server with or without direct connection.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:49 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

With a know good formatted, 500gig to 2tb drive in the lowest bay.
This is a list of how to perform a recovery/reset that have worked for me.
1) prefer to use a win7 or xp client to perform the recovery/reset.
2) Copy the contents of the "Server recovery disc" and "Software disc" to the desktop of client. (Once you mount the iso, I would exstract the files into a folder and run from the folder)
3) Connect the server to the client directly with cat5/6 cable.
4) with 500gig to 2tb known good drive in bottom bay.
5) server powered off and client booted up in safe mode with networking. if client is a laptop, disable the wireless.
6) from the folder on your desktop where you copied the contents of the server cd run the setup.exe and wait for the first screen.
7) after clicking a screen or two you will be at the (instructions on how to start the process.
8 ) It will tell you to power up the server and wait for the red/blue/red/blue/red/blue lights 3 times then press and release the tiny button in the tiny hole lower front middle and this will hopefully cause the light to change to aqua/purple which means you are in recovery mode.
9) then click ok and the software will try and find the server. if it does then in a while you should get a couple of reboots from the server as it lays down the OS and at some point it will ask you to install the "software"
10) That is when I power the server down and connect it to the network, switch or router. Then power it back up and then on the client run the software and you are almost done.
All this takes about an hour or so.

Sometimes it just takes a few tries, sometime you need to try with a different client, hopefully the Nic is good on the server, if it is grabbing an ip in your router, you are close.
Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:01 pm 

Another unsuccesful session.
I think my issue was and is at the step 8. After multiple attepmts to decode the led colors , I saw after poweron instant blue solid color for poweron and ethernet leds. The health led shows for first time a very short time red color and instant continues to the solid purple color for 4sec followed by a 3 second no color. The cycle repeats continuously with 4sec of solid purple color followed by a 3 second no colour.
When I reset the front button, for first time a very short time blue color and instant continues to the solid purple color for 4sec followed by a 3 second no color. The cycle repeats continuously with 4sec of solid purple color followed by a 3 second no colour.
I opened the psu and after a more careful visual inspection I did not find any problems. I measured voltages and are in ATX limits.
Because there are a few special days for my family, I'll take a break for a few days and come back with details early next week.
It turns me over to prove this stubborn server.

Anyway, I want to thank for the support, it helps me get past the failure of the moment :) .

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:35 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow, sounds like you are getting closer, but.
I realize the 470 recovery is a bit different (the lights and such) but I have never heard of a failure at step 8.
I have heard of failure 2 of 3 or 4 of 4 but nothing higher.
Can you take a phone picture when it fails at step 8?

Normally a 470, when it has a blank drive in the bottom bay will boot into recovery buy itself I believe, it is just a matter of when you click OK to proceed. I would guess just after you have no lights and it starts the cycle again is when I would click ok in the recovery program.
Just to make sure, it says it 's found the server and will install the Program/OS which will take awhile?

If it has failed at some point (which it sounds like it has) before you try again, I would take the bottom drive and format it again and delete any partitions that may have been created before trying again.

Recoveries are tricky at best, sometimes it just takes a few tries and if you get a failure, reformat the drive before trying again.

Good Luck and let us know how it's going.

I personally would not would not waste time on a 470, to old, I would be looking on ebay and try to pickup a good ex-490 or x-510 the last in the series and save the 470 for spare parts. The trays will fit and the power supply would fit even though the newer power supplies were built better.
If you were to pickup another server, make sure it comes with the (3) CD's.

I'll be watching, when you are ready, I try to help when I can.
Again, Good Luck

Thanks