It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 am 

I recently purchased ICY Dock ICYCube MB561U3S-4SB R1 to use with my HP Mediasmart Server. First I tested this out on my EX495 and it worked fine. Then I thought the EX470 could take a 4 port so I tried it there too. Using the original driver for the Marvell Controller that WHS installs I was not able to get the dock with even just one drive in it to be recognized. I have an older acer esata single drive enclosure which works fine on same EX470 server. I have been looking at newer Marvel drivers and even tested the 1.2.0.80 driver. At that time I was looking in device manager and could see the single drive with a yellow exclamation point on it. I looked at the controller driver and noticed ports 3/4 were set to disabled. I tried enabling those and rebooting server but they will not stay enabled just ports 1/2. With the yellow exclamation point on the drive and the issue with getting ports 3/4 to stay enabled I got scared and rolled back to the original driver 1.2.0.46. I have some other drivers for that marvell 61xx controller but those were for a Asus motherboard of mine P5Q deluxe and I am not sure those would be compatible. Bottom line is now I am totally confused. My concern is this: Do I need to pull out the motherboard and set a jumper to get jbod to work or does that work by default? I see many users that have a sans digital port multiplier working with no issues. I can maybe get one of those to test out but I just want to be sure that is my problem and not a thing on my server. If the icy dock is the issue I am willing to admit if needed. I'm kinda lost for now and really am looking forward to someone in the community to give me a hand. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:29 am 

Here is a picture of the motherboard with a jumper on it which I think might be the jbod one. If anyone can confirm that and what position it needs to be in I can go check that out as well.

http://homeservershow.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/MSS%20Hi-Res/MSS%20Motherboard%20Module.JPG

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 am 

Ok. Scared as hell I took the leap. Downloaded a driver from Asus for P5Q Deluxe motherboard. The x86 one. Version 1.2.0.68 This one was not from HP or Microsoft so I am not positive it will be the right one to use going forward. I noticed a difference already in the device driver menu. There is a Hot Plug option but 3/4 still won't enable. Check the box hit ok and then go back in and it's unchecked. Even still the server is appearing to see all 4 drives in the icy cube cage. I was able to format each drive and add them to my server pool. This wasn't even possible with 1.2.0.80. Still nervous on trusting this driver. Anyone else have any ideas about what I should do next. Would appreciate that as well. Thank you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

the only jumper I am aware of is to enable a ps2 mouse and keyboard when using the debug board.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:14 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My gut feeling is you are on track.
The specs say compatible with most systems so possibly not the default driver in the ex470.
Did you try checking/testing the driver used in the 495?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 pm 

Ruben Rocha wrote:
My gut feeling is you are on track.
The specs say compatible with most systems so possibly not the default driver in the ex470.
Did you try checking/testing the driver used in the 495?

Unfortunately the controller on my ex495 is a Silicon one and the ex470 is Marvell. I think for now I am gonna just run with the 1.2.0.68 driver from Asus P5Q deluxe webpage. It's an x86 driver and was made for windows xp. No errors in event log so far. Gonna just add the 4 disks I have as backups and run some backups of the server shares to test it out and see if everything writes to the drives without errors. Might take me a few hours because I have so much data on the server already. Will get back with what I find. Thanks for getting back with me and suggesting the ex495 server driver. I do appreciate your suggestion. I agree with your suggestion on the default driver. It's strange too cause if you update too much to the latest driver it screws things up and if you don't have high enough level you get now drive cage support. Seems to be a middle of the road driver that fixes things the best. Even Microsoft windows update catalog when searching Marvell 61xx has the 1.2.0.80 driver only. I could swear the older drivers were there before. Be back in a little while with an update.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank joeg01 for this post
jpuzas
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:59 am 

Hi,
This worked for me on my HP MediaSmart Server EX470. I purchased an ICYDOCK MB561U3S-4S R1 with 4 bays. The EX470 indeed does have a built in eSATA port mulitplier that is required to work with the ICYDOCK external drive enclosure. When I attached the ICYDOCK via the server's eSATA port the drives in the enclosure were not recognized. After updating the driver as indicated by OP the drives were instantly recognized without restarting the server.

I wrote detailed step by step instructions but when I submitted it put me into the login screen and my input was lost. Here is an abbreviated version as I do not have the energy to recreate the detailed instructions. Hope this helps someone else.

1. Went to ASUS website and downloaded the 2009/05/20 driver version 1.2.0.68 from P5Q Delux Mother board at https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_D ... _Download/. It is under the SATA section of drivers
2. It is an executable file so I extracted the file to a Windows 10 desktop PC using 7-Zip
3. Opened remote desktop on Server with mstsc.exe in Windows 10 cmd prompt
4. Opened windows file explorer in the remote desktop via cmd prompt and typing explorer.exe in the cmd prompt window and went to SYS (C:) and then to control panel then system tools then computer management then to device manager.
5. Updated driver using wizard and pointing it to the extracted folder on Win7PC via network

When installed new driver I immediately saw the drives in the external enclosure and added them to storage pool

Thanks