It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:52 am 

In July 2008, I purchased an HP EX470 MediaSmart Server and four 1TB drives. The server is still in use, still running the original software (with all updates), and working relatively well. It serves as my file and media server as well as for backing up local client PCs. When I RDP to its desktop, I see frequent Windows Backup Service errors; however, local client PC backups continue to run successfully--as do restores which I've occasionally had to perform. I disabled remote access long ago. CrashPlan no longer backs up to their data center; a few months ago, they disabled connections from clients running Windows Server 2003.

I realize the hardware and software are on 'borrowed time' ... and that the platform will eventually reach end of life; until then, however, is there any preventative maintenance I should be performing? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:53 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Welcome, IMHO whs v1 is viable for a long time as a file server/client backup, as you have seen , some of the other stuff no longer works as well.
I would say to look at this thread:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14395
I have copied the 3 HP patches that would be needed to restore/recovery the server when the main drive goes would be a good idea in case HP stops pushing them.
I also use the offline updates down-loader to get all the windows server 2003 updates and put them in a iso to have in case microsoft stops sending out updates.

Other then that, I buy 2tb red drives 2-3 at a wack when on sale, they are what I use and it is nice to have a couple of spares.

Lastly, that server is the oldest version on the HP mediaserver line and HP has no parts, so I tell people to look on ebay and try to find a cheap "maybe working" spare for the parts.

Cleaning the dust bunnies out a few times a year is always good. And I use the free CCleaner to clean the junk files, also while I am RDP in I use the windows disk cleaner "just on the c drive" and use the defrag "just on the c drive"
Clearing the event logs a couple times a year is good as well.
That is about all I can think of.

Hope this helps, Good Luck
P.S. The only problem I had with my 470 was I had to replace the power supply.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
cgwaters
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:29 pm 

Thanks, Gardian. Good preventative maintenance recommendations! My system seems to run much slower than it did originally; perhaps cleaning up and defragging the C: drive will help.

I reviewed the thread you referenced; I have the following questions:

1. I notice that the URL for two of the three patches is for the EX495. I wasn't able to find any matches for the EX470 on HP's site. Are the three patches you reference compatible with the EX470? (Regarding your discoveries/edits, especially for the first patch: I don't have any MSDV* files in my C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates; however, that folder does contain a .packages folder that has six "MediaSmart Server Update*.pckg" files and a .files folder that contains three MS1*ServerUpdate.exe files and three MS1*ServerUpdate.exe.MRK files.)

2. How can I verify that all HP patches for the EX470 have been installed?

You mention downloading all W2K3 updates using an offline updates downloader "in case microsoft stops sending out updates". Didn't Microsoft, years ago, stop providing and sending out updates for W2K3? Can you direct me to a resource on how to download the updates?

Forgot to mention that whenever I RDP to the desktop, inevitably there are a few "Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service encountered a problem and needed to close" errors. The errors are spaced out--days, sometimes weeks, apart. I dutifully send the error reports to Microsoft; however, I'm not sure anyone is listening anymore.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, Ahhh, the old 470. I started with two 470, they are at my brother in laws house now. Still running.
When the x-510 (same hardware as the 490) came out I picked up 4 of them when I found out HP was not going any farther with the mediasmart line.
So to answer your question on the patches. the link is for 495 and 510, they would not work for you 410. But you are on to something when looking for them on your server in a like folder. But since I don't have the 470 anymore I can only guess the three msi/exe patches are what you would need to save a copy of. Many someone that still has a 470 can help?

As far a win 2003 server microsoft updates and office updates getting then offline and saving them as iso is just a few clicks away http://download.wsusoffline.net/
Run the exe in the folder on a pc that can run for a few hours and has 20-30 gigs of room to create the iso's. Then you can move them to a folder on your server.

I collected all the updates for all the microsoft products I have (just in case). I truly believe that microsoft and HP will stop pushing updates at some point.

The 470 (with some spare parts and some larger/newer drives will last as long as any other pc barring a powersurge lighting strike/drop/etc.
If I was you I would be looking at 1) purchasing a few WD red 2tb drives and start the process of replacing the 1 tb drives.
Or,
2) Try finding one or two of the 495/510 servers with the cd's and upgrade to something newer, whit some more horsepower.
If you don't have some kind of a backup outside the server of the data you can't lose, you should do that very soon.
I use a second server that I synctoy the first one to monthly and then I also use non-pooled 2tb drive to backup the shares.
I have had bad luck with preforming a in place with data recovery on the server, I end up doing a factory reset and a data copy back. Takes about the same amount of time, but having a backup is the most impotent part.

Goodluck I will do some googling for the updates (yours should be well up to date) The update settings are in settings on the console, just click around in there and you will find the HP check for updates and the microsoft check for updates area.
I also will remote into my brother in laws 470 and see what you are seeing.
catch ya later, time to go to work.......

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks