It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Windows 10 Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:47 am 

Hello. First, my apologies if this has been covered. I am currently running Windows 7 and the EX475 is working fine. I am wanting to upgrade to Windows 10, but I cannot find any definitive answer as to compatibility between the EX475 and Windows 10. HP no longer supports Media Smart so here I am! Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Upgrade
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:05 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I can't speak to the EX475 but I've got an EX495 with an upgraded Intel Q8200 CPU and 4GB RAM, along with an SSD for the system drive. It handles Windows 10 like a champ. My guess is that the EX48x and EX49x line would handle Windows 10 just fine.

The EX47x line might not. The EX47x line is AMD-based whereas the EX48x/49x line is Intel-based.

If you want to try it out, make sure you've got a debug cable so you can hook up a monitor to your EX475. You'll need a spare hard drive or SSD. Shut down your server and pull out all the drives, and be sure to remember which order they go in! Install your new/spare drive into the bottom bay, and download Windows 10 onto a USB thumb drive. You can download the x64 version here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Boot up your server, and make sure it boots from the flash drive. You'll want to put the flash drive in the bottom back USB port. Let Windows setup run to completion, then go into Device Manager afterwards. If most/all of the hardware was detected properly, you're probably good to go.

You might want to check what technologies your CPU supports. If your CPU doesn't support everything Windows 10 expects, it'll halt with a STOP error 0x5D (UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR). Windows 8 and Server 2012 require CPUs that support PAE, NX and SSE2. Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 require those three things, as well as PrefetchW, CMPXCHG16b and LAHF/SAHF. I found this out when trying to upgrade an older desktop with a Core2 Duo processor to Server 2012 R2. It didn't support one of those three things (I don't recall which, I think it was PrefetchW).

That said, my guess is that Windows 10 would also require all six -- PAE, NX, SSE2, PrefetchW, CMPXCHG16b and LAHF/SAHF. I would google your exact processor model and make sure it supports these six technologies. If it is missing any one of the six, I wouldn't waste your time with trying to install Windows 10. I lucked out on the aforementioned old desktop and had a Core2 Quad Q6600 available which fit the bill, and I was able to install Server 2012 R2. As noted, my EX495 with a Q8200 runs Windows 10.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:11 pm 

I was able to install Win10 on my HP470 with no real problems - however, i'm stumped on finding the right drivers (or maybe they don't exist).

I've lost the ability to configure the power settings for SLEEP or Hibernate. I've also lost the drive lights and I'm not sure the 3 status indicator lights on the front panel are working properly.

I could live with all of these except the power settings (things like Windows Update sometimes can't reboot the machine, etc.)

Some forums I read suggest using the Intel utility to detect and update the drivers associated with the "G33" chipset as well as the graphics driver (running 'powercfg /a' tells me the graphics driver is the thing blocking the use of other power states like sleep and hiber.)

Nothing on the Intel website seems to be working at detecting the hardware and not much is listed as pertaining to Win10 (should I use Win 7 or Win 8 and hope for the best)? Which specific drivers should I be looking to download and install? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - I'm getting afraid I've stretched this little server as far as support will take it and will need to build something else.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Just like all of Microsoft's other OS's, they are designed to phase out old hardware a some point.
It would be like trying to install win 7 on something that had windows95, might install, but good luck on getting it to work right.
I'm surprised it installed. The 470 is the oldest of the servers. Sorry to hear it was not able to do what you wanted.
I am sticking with win7 on all my PC's I have one with vista which will be upgraded at some point but works fine now.
I am going to see what happens after win 10.
I do know you can install whs 2011 and winserver 2012E on the 490 hardware, not sure about the 470.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
akari
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:37 am 

Gardian wrote:
Just like all of Microsoft's other OS's, they are designed to phase out old hardware a some point.
It would be like trying to install win 7 on something that had windows95, might install, but good luck on getting it to work right.
I'm surprised it installed. The 470 is the oldest of the servers. Sorry to hear it was not able to do what you wanted.
I am sticking with win7 on all my PC's I have one with vista which will be upgraded at some point but works fine now.
I am going to see what happens after win 10.
I do know you can install whs 2011 and winserver 2012E on the 490 hardware, not sure about the 470.
Goodluck

Same here, I'm sticking to what works for now. I will upgrade to win10 till everything is running solid. Believe me, tried it, too much inconsistensies, didn't like it so switched back to win7. Good thing I had to pcs. Still, it would be nice for it to work on the latest OS but knowing microsoft? meh.

Thanks