It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: ex470 MediaSmart Server
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:03 pm 

First off, Hello! I'm Micke (Mike in english) from Sweden.
I Do notice that the activity here is long from its former glory.

But, I'm having real issues in finding people that know anything about this MediaSmart Server, locally...

I hope i'm not posting this post in the wrong cathegory. I'm abit confussed where do put it.

I just got this ex470 (ye, i get it, it's old and quite out-dated) but i'm real new to all this "home server" crazyness, and figured, "I got to start somewhere, right?"
My workplace was trowing it away, so i called dibs and took it home. After a bit of cleaning and upgrading (RAM to 1GB).
I got it up and running, aaand its not exacly what i had in mind...

I was hoping it would be a "just a server" and not all this MediaSmart.
I want to plug it in the network and just see the drives/folders in the network. Not this whole Console/interface thingy, automatic copying of media-files IT recognizes, dedicated iTunes server etc etc.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any replys!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:46 pm 

Yes its very possible. You do initially have to deal with the HP and Microsoft Software to set the server up. You do need to use the console to configure User Accounts, Server Folders for File Storage and who has access and why type of access to each Folder or Shared Folder.

Once all that's done your server should show up on your Netowrk and if you just select the server you should see the folders and you would be able to add and remove files, create sub-folders and what not. To your computer it will look much like another storage device on the computer.

Of course to add more storage capacity to your server you would need to do it from the servers Console and before I forget you can set the server up to duplicate your files and folders so that if you have to replace t he hard drive your data would still exist on the server but you don't have to do this but its advisable because it provides file redundancy on the server.

Because the servers OS is based on Server2003 it was old when it first came out as WHS or WHSv1 as its often referred. Keeping this in mind you have a potential issue to deal with when using the newer AF or Advance Format Drives because WHS is designed to be used with drives that use 512b sector sizes where the newer AF Drives use 4K Sector Sizes. Some drives are plug an play and work well with the older OS or Legacy OS while others need to be jumped or aligned depending on how you use the drive. You can search the forums to see which drives people are using today and which are plug and play and which may require preparation. Also the OEM's may have information on there drives on how to prepare them for use on a Legacy OS like Server2003, WHS, XP, etc.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:53 am 

hi Micke
did you get this fixed?
/Håkan

Thanks