It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:02 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I know I can go from the 512mb to 2gb, however can the CPU also be changed out, and if so to what?

As Usual any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 am 

There are very few processors known to work well with the EX470 and some require you to modify the BIOS. The following link contains everything about the which processors work well with the EX470, instructions on how to modify the BIOS and a ton of other information you may find useful. Its one of the oldest still somewhat active message thread on the site.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot the Link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1102

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
VaineDragon
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:13 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have tried both the LE-1640 and the X2-3800 EE, and I prefer the X2. The 1640 seemed like a better first choice based on its faster clock speed, but mine developed issues that took a few months to start to crop up. I did bump my fan speed up a smidge to cover for the heat being generated, but still had weird lockups with the server.

Once I went to the X2 3800 EE, all thermal issues and lockups went away completely. Note that the CPU is going to be slower than the 1640 for single threaded tasks, but to me the dual core chip just had more snap to it when I had it doing different things instead of just one task.

Plenty of EX470 owners are running the 1640 and have had none of the issues I had - it really is a luck of the draw thing with those chips in my opinion. I don't know anyone that had issues with the X2, but you also must do more than just pop the old chip out and replace it with the new one. A lot of guys are worried about a BIOS update, but I didn't let that affect my decision to go dual core.

Your most difficult task may be to find one of those now rare X2 3800+ EE editions. I managed to find a flEbay seller selling 3 of them for the princely sum of $10, Buy It Now. I bought one and let Comp know that they were available for that price. Note that I had been on the lookout for one on flEaby for many months (using a custom string search for the chip's specific processor code) so they aren't readily available, and you absolutely, positively must be very thorough and confirm that you are buying a 35w 'ADD3800IAA5CU' code CPU.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:59 am 

I still have ADD3800's here on the shelf as well as some BE2300's, heck I think I still have a new BE2300 in a factory sealed box. I ran both the BE2300 and ADD3800 and to be honest I really could not tell the difference in performance between the two CPU's.

To be honest I was only using one EX470 at work that had an ADD3800 which I sold and replaced with a stock EX470. I asked someone at work to let me know if they noticed any significant different the stock EX470 and the one we were using and no significant difference was noticed. No to be fair we were only using the EX470 for central file sharing and client backups so we were not streaming media.

Point I am trying to make here is that if your just doing file sharing and client backups then a stock EX47x will perform quite well. If your looking to stream media then a CPU change would be very helpful but I think the biggest boost to the EX47x was with the Memory Upgrade to 2GB.

I am in the process of reorganizing my inventory of parts and soon I will bring that EX470 I have at work home because I built a WHS2011 server to replace it. When I do that I will begin to look for a new home for it because I have no real need for it as I do have a complete collection of MSS Models here.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

A quick search of flEbay shows 2 of the 'ADD' X2s at $38, which is not bad,but you can find them for less. It just takes patience. I avoided the BE2300s as they were pricier and just a tad bit less likely to perform with no hassles on the 470s. This opinion is garnered from weeding through page after page of the 'X2' thread that Comp has linked up. I'm pretty sure I read every page of that thread over the years just to see if anyone found anything else to report.

I did use my 470 for streaming at one point, as well as an Itunes server for my wife, but moved away from that to a dedicated HTPC and a laptop for my wife that negated the need for a local Itunes streamer. The X2 did a great job with whatever I threw at it, and just this weekend my WHS saved me again as my main rigs RAID0 array (shouldn't it be called AID0?) had a WD 1TB Black drive go bad on me. It took 7 hours, but I had my machine back up and running from a restore point from the previous day.

And here I was ready to dump Server 2003 and move to WHS 2011 on it !! I still have that plan in the works, but when something just works so darn well, it's hard to ditch it and start anew.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:21 pm 

Hey if WHSv1 is working for you and your happy with it then there is no need to change it. I often envy those who are able to stay with the MSS and have it meet all their needs. Its a very nice platform and very sad HP discontinued development on the product line.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks