It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 pm 

after a power outage my mediasmart ex470 powers up and all drives SEEM active. the link light is GREEN when is powered OFF but both are AMBER when powered on. It also does not pull an IP from the linksys e3000 router. The light on the router is green as if it's a gigabit port. any ideas if I could connect the drives to another windows machine to get my data? If not what's the best way to recover my data or network connectivity?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:55 pm 

Hi knightto welcome to the forums,

You mention the drives are active but are the drive light turned on an blue.

Is the health light Solid Blue or Blinking Blue or is it a different color.

If the health light is Red and you press and release the Status/Recovery button in with a paperclip what blink code does the health light display?

Normal NIC should be Solid Green with a Blinking Amber.

Easiest way to confirm the NIC is fully functional is to do the following:

(1) With the server off back out all the server drives & disconnect any USB and eSATA devices.
(2) Turn the server on
(3) After a couple minutes the health light will blink Purple/Red
(4) Look at the NIC LEDs to see if the Green is Solid and Amber is blinking
(5) Logon to your Router and check the DHCP Listing and look for a device starting with the name MININT followed by other things
(6) Shut the server down
(7) Reconnect all your devices & drives

Thing here is if you see MININT on your router it will confirm that your server NIC is functional and that your server can boot itself into its recovery mode. If you do not see this then you NIC is either not functional or you have an issue with your SMI.

Only way I know of to resolve a failed NIC issue is to get a DEBUG Board to provide you with a video output & a USB-LAN Adapter, connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor to the server and log on to the servers desktop. Connect an external DVD Drive to the server, then connect the USB LAN Adapter and when prompted load the 32 bit drivers for the USB LAN Adapter to the server. Move the Network cable from the server to the USB-LAN Adapter and you should have network connectivity back to the server.

Installing a USB-LAN Adapter can be done blind but its tricky and the difficulty will be with the drive letter assignment to a USB Flash Drive but if it comes down to this you can try it using a Guide I wrote but I highly recommend a DEBUG Board to accomplish this task.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/06 ... ur-server/

If you do have to use a USB-LAN Adapter then if you need to perform a server recovery you will need to create a bootable USB Flash Drive and place the SMI Files for your server on them and then modify the SMI files to include the USB-LAN Adapter Drivers so the server will recover using the drivers but then the drivers would need to be loaded a 2nd time when the server reboots to setup WHS and again a DEBUG Board would be necessary for you to see when the server would ask you for those drivers so they could be loaded.

If your NIC turns out to be fully function then you may need to perform a CHKDSK on all your server drives and see if that corrects the issue with your server but my feeling is your NIC is the issue but you may also have a corrupt drive issue to resolve because when you lose power to a server or computer while a drive is being written to it will become corrupt.

Lets see how you make out. I provided a ton of info to help you figure out where your issue may be and once you go through all that stuff and determine what is working and what is not then we can focus on the actual issue and hopefully resolve your server issue.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks