It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have an external HDD that I had been using for backups of the EX470, but I have some other files on it too. I know I can hook it up to my computer and view these other files that way, but I was just wondering if it is possible to browse the disk while it is hooked up via USB to the server.

When I plug it in, it is listed in server storage and disk management as "server Backup Hard drives / Disks" So it is there, but I don't see a way to map it or even view it on to a different computer on the network.

My only idea is to click "remove" then add it as server storage and try to go from there, (where I don't know)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Short answer is no. The server is not designed to do that, it is designed for centralize storage. The USB and Esata are designed to expand the centralize storage. So you have two choices when you plug in an external drive:
1) add the drive to the pool which will format it and add it to the common space where your data lives.
2) do not add the drive to the pool and then you can use it to backup your server shares.
The reason it is designed this way is the data (in the pool) is able to be protected with duplication over all drives so if one drive dies you will have a great chance of not losing data.
Your external drive out there all by itsself would not be protected.
I understand what you are trying to do and if you had a plain old file server (box) then you could do what you want, but these servers are not just file servers.

To share a external drive that already has data on it you most likely would want to attach it to a client and then SHARE it in your wordgroup. File n print sharing.
Or add the files on it to the server and then use it as a non pooled drive to backup your shares.

Hope this makes sense. It would be kind of nice, but it would be unprotected which is one of the important parts of these systems.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:47 am 
Founder
Founder

I don't see why you can't access the server via Remote Desktop and manually share the drive.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... te_Desktop

Thanks