It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hello,
I have a WD green 1TB that has too many bad sectors and needs to be replaced. (WD10EACS)
I have searched this forum and others for 2 days now for drive recommendations only to be more confused. So many old recommendations (including for the drive I am replacing) but these drives have been discounted and I am leery about buying old stock also at 2x what current models cost.

So, what I am looking for is a LOW TEMP 2TB<$130 or 1TB<$75 Seagate or WD drive, that can be plug and play, (I guess I can do the jumper thing on the WD, but that's it)
This drive is used for file access only no streaming so no need for speed, but I want as low temp as possible for longer life and more reliability of the drive and server itself.

As an aside is the SMART addin for use on ex470 with original WHS? https://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/HomeS ... T.html#all

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 pm 

This is a dilemma for most running WHS v1. The newer WD Drives are suppose to be plug and play but you can still use the jumper. Seagate drives have always been plug and play but the downside there is the reduced warranty periods. I have not had to add a drive to any of my WHS v1 servers in a few years but unlike you I do not purchase 5400 or 5900 RPM Drives aka Green Drives.

Personally I only use Western Digital Black, Red and Hitachi Deskstar drives in my servers for mechanical drives. There is mixed feelings about the WD Red Drives but I have 4 of them running although they are in my WHS2011 server since Dec 2012 and Jan 2013 and have been running without issues accept for a corrupt file which WHS2011 repaired without issue but your looking for WHS v1 compatibility not WHS2011. I only mention them because I have 4 of them running but have not as I said installed a new drive in my WHS v1 servers and I do run a couple EX470's and a DIY WHS v1 Servers. Hitachi now part of Western Digital does have low RPM Drives and the last time I purchased a set of 4 of 1.5 GB Drives to handle my data migration when I was moving data between servers. That was back in 2011 and they are still in operation and running fine. I have used Samsung Drives which is now part of Seagate and they were added back in 2010. In the past I have used both WD Green EADS and a couple EARS Drives and the older EADS drives were actually better.

I would recommend you start off by picking a drive manufacturer your comfortable with and then contact their customer support to find out what preparation for their current drive line is required to run on a Legacy OS which WHS v1 is. I try to stick with a drive line which has served me well over the years.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
realserv
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well I have 2 green WD10EACS in the pool and the stock baracuda as the main. So I am open to either WD or Seagate.

Maybe I missed it in your post but what are you running as your pool drives in your ex470?

I guess I am willing to run a hot drive (high rpm) in the pool but this is the first fail my ex470 has had in 5 years while I read tons of people here having failures running hot drives. So I figured stay with what has worked.

Anyone with hot pool drives lasting 5 years in the ex470s out there? Let me know your story too.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:20 am 

The system drive in the EX470 is a WD Black and the other is WD Green. This server is for client backups and runs Remote Potato. When I was only running an EX470 I did use Green Drives but then I started adding Hitachi Desk Stars and WD Blacks and the temperatures ran about 3c hotter than the Green Drives regardless of the enclosure they were in. I was running an EX470 with a 4 bay eSATA Port Multiplier.

All told I have had 3 EX470's but gave one to my gf who has a mix of 5400 and 7200 RPM Drives. I have always run Alex's MSS Fan Speed Control Add-in to help keep the processor cool. The EX470's I currently run have ADD3800 processors.

As I recall HP did not recommend the use of Green Drives as they recommended 7200 RPM Drives but as you know many people used the Green Drives from a wide range of manufactures with good results. It wasn't until the AF Drives came out that some experienced issues because some like WD Drives required you to jumper or Align the drives to make them work with WHSv1 and yet other drives were plug and play.

Last year I gave away several WD Green EADS Drives to my sister and gf as I replaced them with WD Black and Hitachi Deskstar Drives because I prefer the 7200 RPM Drives and the point here is if I were to add more drives to my EX470's I would not be reluctant to add the higher RPM Drives.

There is one thing about the environment my servers run in and that is they are in an Air Conditioned environment so the temperature is always at or below 75 F.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:30 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Ok I talked with seagate and they said no support for Legacy OS such as whs 2003; so that leaves WD

So because of the greens parking heads I guess I will go RED
WD20EFRX
Although this does look like it has 3 platters instead of 2.

Can anyone confirm if this drive is pool ready with a simple 7-8 jumper? Also, if this is an ok choice.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 am 

You can perform a site search to find any and all forum posts for WD Red Drives. This way you can find out what others have written about their experiences with these drives in their servers and how they have their drives configured with and without the jumpers installed.

You can start by reading this forum thread: viewtopic.php?t=12573

Also be sure to read any and all reviews about these drives on sites which sell them. Read everything you can to form an opinion. I like to read the reviews on Newegg.

As I have already mentioned I have 4 2TB Reds running in my WHS2011 server since Dec 2012 and Jan 2013 and so far they have been running well but its not WHS v1 so the experience I am having may not be a good indicator for you and the time on my drives is not of great length.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:55 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Great, thanks so much for all your help.
Further reading has me abandoning my low temp wants and leaning to the WD black.
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-C ... WD2002FAEX

I couldent find explicit info, these need to be jumpered on 7 8 right?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:51 am 

Nice drive and you will like the Black Drives for sure. Contact WD Support to see what they have to say. The folks over at WD are very easy to work with. Its been 2 or more years since I last added a drive to my WHS v1 servers in fact I moved most of the drives over to my WHS2011 server.

I have never had to install jumpers on my BLK drives running in my WHS v1 server but I do not want to mislead anyone in fact if I were to add or replace a drive in my WHS v1 server I would be contacting the drive manufacturer.

I know this doesn't help you much but contacting the drive manufacture in this case Western Digital is your best bet. http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

wd black is what I have for a system drive on a ex490.
Yes it does get a little warm compared to the pool drives(wd green and segate) and it is a little louder when the heads are seeking.
But after three plus years it is sill working with no errors whatsoever.

But I will be trying the wd red next purchase.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 pm 

Thinking back when I first bought my EX470 I picked up a couple 750 GB Blacks to add to the storage pool. I later changed on to be the system drive and then moved the other to a run a desktop which I sold to an employee. For the most part I have been using the Blacks as System Drives ever since but recently started to change over to SSD's but not for WHSv1 because I am about to phase out WHS v1 and possibly WHS2011 as I move to WS2012E but I may opt to keep WHS2011 running in tandem with WS2012E.

The Blacks are solid drives and with their 5 yr warranty you get piece of mind. The interesting thing about REDs is they can be run in a RAID configuration where this is not recommended for Blacks by WD because as WD has told me they will drop out of a RAID Array. On the other hand people use them all the time in a RAID environment and report good luck with them.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm running the red drives:
I have a 1tb red as system drive in one of my 510 and a 2tb drive in the same system for pool storage. I will be adding another red 2tb as non pooled for shares backups.
I had the reallocation of some sectors 400, just like Comp did, makes me wonder, but no more after. It did want to be fixed twice within a month which makes me wonder what is causing that.

The Red drives do run cooler but I have noticed they are a little sluggish compared to the Hitachi's that I normally run. The red drives are plug n play, I have not done anything to them and the seem to work fine. I purchased a bunch of the Hitachi's 2tb when they were around 100bucks, so they are my go to, have had no problems with them except they do run hot.

I do know they are supposed to be releasing 4 .and 5 and 6 tb red drives the end of the year, that would be cool as far as how many drive you have to mess with.
But those drive will require the newer OS'es whs 2011 or 2012E.
Hope this helps. I would say WD/Hitachi/Seagate would be last.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:57 pm 

My 4 x 2TB Red Drives are still running clean with no SMART issues as of yet. This could change tomorrow. I have never ran them in a WHS v1 server only had them in a WHS2011 server which is now running WS2012E. I still need more time on these drives to determine their suitability for the future.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks