It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Repeating errors.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:17 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is causing this problem please?

Attachments:
File comment: Pic 1
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg [ 18.37 KiB | Viewed 4280 times ]
File comment: Pic 2
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg [ 46.48 KiB | Viewed 4280 times ]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Repeating errors.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:53 am 

What your seeing is the issue that first brought me to this site in Oct 2009: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5811

Looking back this was the lowest moment in my WHS experience. As I recall a couple of things came into play here the first was my attempt to upgrade the CPU to the LE1450 which caused some issues with the PhotoWeb Share or whatever its called.

An attempt to do a recovery and the server not entering recovery mode, something which you recently experienced. I reinstalled the stock CPU but I plugged one of the fans in off by 1 pin which I picked up on because the fans were not running. Not knowing better I held the Status/Reset button in too long to get the server to enter its recovery mode.

Later I learned the best way to get the server into recovery mode was to use a blank unformatted drive, a new drive and starting the server without the system drive in place. I learned about MININT followed by other things where the other things change with every new recovery.

What I had not realized at the time during troubleshooting this issue is just how much it would teach me about Server Issues and Server Recoveries pertaining to the EX47x. I found interesting ways to recover the server but I never could quite figure out the exact corrective action but I came to the conclusion the I had a hardware failure caused by the LE1450, Plugging the Fan in 1 pin off or by holding the Status/Reset Button in too long.

What I ended up with was a functional server with dysfunctional LED's and health indicators. I ended up modifying a Health file for the EX47x to get rid of annoying warnings and alerts I could do nothing about and continue running the server for 3 more months without additional issues.

I was so annoyed with the issue I actually purchased motherboards with known issues just to study the issue further. When I say to others Failure is not an Option, its an obsession with me to figure out issues. See its easy to replace a failed component but its better to understand why it failed and then find ways to prevent the failure from occurring in the first place. The actually cost of the EX470 at the time was not a big deal and wanting to know why this issue occurred was more important than the funds to replace a unit.

Anyway I have a collection of EX470 motherboards with various issues that I actually played with and all but one is functional because I believe it has a FAILED BIOS which is from a unit I purchased at Salvage Value to build an MSS PortMultipiler for which I built 2, the first was over built but the 2nd I built using tools anyone could acquire and I built it at my kitchen table to prove a point.

Ok so I am rambling on and on and its just been an amazing Journey for sure.

Question is: Did you plug a fan in offset by 1 pin or attempt a CPU upgrade or hold that God awful Status/Reset button in too long?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks