It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The EX-470 is showing her age and I was looking for a replacement, but a recent "Upgrade to WHS 2012" tutorial over at WeGotServed has inspired me to give the girl one more shot. Here is my game plan, please let me know if you see any issues or can offer any advice.

Current set-up: LE1640 CPU, 2GB Ram. Though the server still does it's job of storing media and is successfully accessed by several devices/computers throughout the house, I haven't had working connector software or the ability to back up in quite some time. Reinstallation of connector software doesn't work nor does new connector software installation on new machines.

If I'm going to give WHS 2012 a shot I want at least 4GB RAM and a dual core CPU (probably this one ADJ6850IAA5DO AMD Athlon Neo X2 6850e).

Game Plan:
(I'm not sure every one of these steps is necessary.)

1) Back up entire server contents to new hard drives.
2) Do a server restore or even a back to factory in hopes of regaining access to the server software.
3) Do Bios Hack for dual core CPU
4) Install 4GB RAM and new CPU
5) Create VGA cable for using monitor with EX470
6) Install WHS 2012

Questions:
Can RAM and CPU upgrades be done in one step or should I do them in a certain order?
There are many tutorials online can anyone point me to a particularly helpful tutorial for Bios Hack? And setting up dual core CPU?
Can anyone recommend a good, tried & true 4GB SIMM?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

I would personally not invest in the EX470 hardware for your build, I would sell it and put those funds into building something more modern and powerful.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:15 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

You're the expert so that's the way I'll go.

Thanks.

Ouch though, looks like folks are only getting around $200 for them on ebay.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:29 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

It's sad to see the EX470s being retired en masse these days. I upgraded mine about as far as it can go with an X2 3800 and 2GB RAM stick. I then populated all drive bays and added an eSATA enclosure as well, so short of installing WHS2011 on it (just not ready to go there yet) I am done with it. Not sure whats up with your connector software, as mine backs up 5 PCs every night, ranging from an XP Pro to a Win 7 64 build.

I paid $600 for it initially, and questioned that purchase for a year or so, until my MSS saved my bacon at least once a year after that. I never questioned buying it again after that first event, and I thoroughly enjoy how it provides a safety net for me through numerous client upgrades.

Good luck with the new build. I can guarantee that you will find yourself overwhelmed with the choices in cases and hardware available for a WHS build. I will recommend two cases linked below to get you started on your rebuild quest:

Fractal Design Define - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352011

Lian Li PC-V354B - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112300

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:42 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The Fractal Design R4 is actually the exact case I'm leaning toward. I'm considering doing an overkill server build so that it will be years before I have to fool with it again.

The hardest part to me is deciding what software to use. I hate drive pooling and raid. I want to put something on a particular drive and have it stay there.

I appreciate the input.

Thanks