It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:45 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I showed this to my buddy and he is interested in the unit as well, but only if it can be used as an ESATA device. In otherwords, he's wants to connect directly to the MSS via ESATA (eg, extrernal drive), I basically told him, I wasn't sure, but I didn't think so as this would "defeat" the purpose of the MSS being a NAS (appliance)...

Am I rightt?

Thanks,

-Alex

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 am 
Founder
Founder

You are right, the MSS is a network device, not direct attach. You can directly attach an eSATA HDD to the server, but not directly attach the server to your PC. Your buddy is looking for a different product.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:07 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
You are right, the MSS is a network device, not direct attach. You can directly attach an eSATA HDD to the server, but not directly attach the server to your PC. Your buddy is looking for a different product.

Thx, Yakuza, I'm getting ready to purchase the MSS now... Trying to decide though on the 470 @ $550 or the 475 @ $710 from B&H...

Nah, I'll probably just go with the 470 and buy my own SATA drives fron NewEgg... 500GB sata for $150 (EX475) doesn't seem much of a bargain! :)

-Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:13 am 
Founder
Founder

Yeah, I scratch my head over that one too! Though some people prefer to get the system as a whole, due to support concerns, but with a device like this that is meant to be user upgraded for the HDDs, makes sense to me to save the extra $$!

A note -- if you wait until you install your 2nd HDD before you run through the setup process on the MSS, it'll automatically add it to the WHS volume and enable duplication on all shares during the setup process. ;) Otherwise you have to manually add the drive and enable duplication.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:46 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Yeah, I scratch my head over that one too! Though some people prefer to get the system as a whole, due to support concerns, but with a device like this that is meant to be user upgraded for the HDDs, makes sense to me to save the extra $$!

A note -- if you wait until you install your 2nd HDD before you run through the setup process on the MSS, it'll automatically add it to the WHS volume and enable duplication on all shares during the setup process. ;) Otherwise you have to manually add the drive and enable duplication.

Awesome, if the SATA prices are cheap enough then, maybe, I'll max them ALL out!!! :) Going to newegg now!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

lonewolf69 wrote:
yakuza wrote:

Thx, Yakuza, I'm getting ready to purchase the MSS now... Trying to decide though on the 470 @ $550 or the 475 @ $710 from B&H...

Nah, I'll probably just go with the 470 and buy my own SATA drives fron NewEgg... 500GB sata for $150 (EX475) doesn't seem much of a bargain! :)

-Alex

www.tigerdirect.com has Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA for $109, Western Digitals for $119.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:53 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Regarding the original post, you know, if his PC is newer he could have a gigabit connection. Add a gigabit switch (~$50), map the right share and BAM! You got a connected drive that transfers like local and does much more. :)

Take THAT drobo!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:53 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

necro wrote:
Regarding the original post, you know, if his PC is newer he could have a gigabit connection. Add a gigabit switch (~$50), map the right share and BAM! You got a connected drive that transfers like local and does much more. :)

Take THAT drobo!

Thanks Necro, I tried to tell him that already, but he swears that the ESATA direct connect is going to be faster than Gigabyte Ethernet... For me, my purposes for this device is for flexible storage capacity and throughput/bandwidth is secondary to me compared to storage. He will be doing HD video streaming at least 720P sometimes even as high as 1080P so bandwidth is going to be paramount for him...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:01 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Well, he's right on the speed. SATA II runs at 3Gb/s. Gigabit runs at 1Gb/s.

So technically, it's three times as fast. BUT, when you are talking about streaming video, you don't really need 3Gb/s speed. You don't even really need 1Gb/s speed. Most videos only hit around 25-30Mb/s in bandwidth.

I stream 720P and 1080P all the time and never have a problem.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:44 pm 
Founder
Founder

HP reports successfully running 6 x 720p simultaneous streams off the MSS...

Thanks