It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:10 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi there

I have an EX470 with 1 x 500GB and 3 x 2TB drives running WHS V1. I also have a Thermaltake BlackX esata/USB2.0 external dock connected to the esata port on the EX470 where I use 4 different 2TB drives on a monthly rotation to back up (via SyncToy) my media files. I've had to shut off duplication for several (but not all) shares and reduce the number of folders that I back up as my media collection grows - running out of room on the server and files being backed up were approaching the limit of the 2TB drive. All 8 drives are Hitachi SATA II non AF drives.

I've recently acquired a Mediasonic 4 bay esata/USB2.0 enclosure and what I want to do is attach this to my EX470 via esata and pop in my 4 x 2TB drives and add them to the storage pool so I can turn duplication on for all the shares in the server.

For backup I want to continue to use my BlackX connected to my EX470 via USB2.0 and pick up a couple of 4TB Hitachi SATA III drives to do the monthly backups.

Researching on the net I found several threads that indicate using a SATA III drive in a SATA II dock works, just that you don't get SATA III speed. I'm fine with this as I usually run my backups overnight.

What I am curious about is whether anyone is currently using a 4TB drive as a backup drive with WHS V1.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bert

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!