It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 am 

Around the time MS gave up on drive extender I started the process to move away from WHS. I ran Amahi for a while and am now running NAS4Free. However, both of these servers have been on new hardware. The other day I was cleaning up and came across the old MSS. Before tossing it I was wondering if I could use it to run one of these other server OS's that boot from a USB.

I'm going to push forward and try both NAS4Free (based on freeBSD) and unRAID (based on Linux). But, I'm hoping that maybe someone here has already been down this path and might offer some help. As a final point let me say that I currently don't have a keyboard or monitor attached to my MSS so I'm a bit worried that the boot process is going to stall.

Here's hoping someone can offer some help!

Thanks in advance.
Richard.

Last edited by rcrh on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

There's a few discussions in the forums about users installing other operating systems, I believe they had better luck with the newer models but I've personally installed Ubuntu on an EX47x many years ago, though I did have a debug board for KVM access. A search should turn up those other discussions.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
rcrh
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 pm 

yakuza wrote:
There's a few discussions in the forums about users installing other operating systems, I believe they had better luck with the newer models but I've personally installed Ubuntu on an EX47x many years ago, though I did have a debug board for KVM access. A search should turn up those other discussions.

I'm off to search but can you tell me if you managed to get it to boot from a USB or some other variation?

Thanks.

here's a bit of news. With no effort at all I have my EX470 booting with unRAID. YAHOOO!!!!!

But, I now have to address a problem that may have been the reason I dumped this box to begin with... The backplane is only recognizing drives in the first & third bay. I have to get all of the bays working before I can call this a success.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:13 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I am currently running WHSv1 on the EX470 (with 3 HDs) and I am considering my next move. I have decided to move my files to a Synology DS413 device (review to be posted soon at wegotserved.com, just waiting for the green light from Synology).

However I would like to extend the life of the EX470 with another OS (already did a RAM and dual-core CPU upgrade). I was hoping to install Windows 2012 Business Essentials (RTM when released) and run some development from it. I reckon 4GB of RAM for a single user dev server would do the trick.

Problem is that I don't have a VGA cable Anyone willing to sell a spare one? ;)

P.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:59 am 
Founder
Founder

The debug boards are available for sale here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066

Thanks