It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:25 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

DustoMan wrote:
I think a better method would be to just put the 1TB drive in bay one and the 500GB drive in bay two and run the system restore. The system restore would create the system partition on the 1TB drive and the 500GB one should be wiped clean when you initialize it. It won't care about that initial 20GB partition on that drive since it should just clear out the partition table as part of the initialization process.

Great suggestion! Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:14 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

OK boys lets settle down. We are all friends here aren’t we? :D

In all seriousness I gave my “guinea pig” idea a lot of thought last night and really came to the conclusion that has already been discussed in prior responses.

Greg H wrote:

This ***WILL NOT*** work if you are using MORE than 1 drive!

From what I understand I agree.

I as well could not understand why “ghosting” would not work but now I think I do. The ONLY way I believe this could be successful (insuring no data loss) would be if you had a primary drive (C & D) image IMMEDIATELY prior to the failure. In other words NO additional data has been written to the “server” after the image was created.

Since this is never going to be the case I think I finally understand why it is so important to “believe” in server recovery. I’m really not a Micro$oft fan boy either so honestly this will be difficult and I plan on having ALL data backed up “offsite”. This will be accomplished either through a “Mozy” or to portable drives.

I DO like the idea of having a system image PRIOR to power on and WILL perform this step. This is mainly so I can INSURE that if I ever sell the system I can make it look to others EXACTLY as it looked to me when I took it out of the box. Also, since I would never just rely on System Reset to “wipe” the drives properly, they would ALL need to be taken out of the system anyway.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:40 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Land Master wrote:
I as well could not understand why “ghosting” would not work but now I think I do. The ONLY way I believe this could be successful (insuring no data loss) would be if you had a primary drive (C & D) image IMMEDIATELY prior to the failure. In other words NO additional data has been written to the “server” after the image was created.

I DO like the idea of having a system image PRIOR to power on and WILL perform this step. This is mainly so I can INSURE that if I ever sell the system I can make it look to others EXACTLY as it looked to me when I took it out of the box. Also, since I would never just rely on System Reset to “wipe” the drives properly, they would ALL need to be taken out of the system anyway.

exactly, the GHOST process will bring the system back to the exact state as when it was first imaged:

1. This would be useful in your exact scenario if you want to bring it back to FACTORY fresh stage.
2. One could on a month to month basis GHOST the primary drive to "update" the status, but that's a lot of work and heaven forbid, if the drive fails 20 or so days AFTER your last ghost back up
3. Advantage on this round goes to DROBO as this is a NON issue with DROBO...

As far as I can tell this is the ONLY achilies heel of a very OUTSTANDING product! So hopefully Land Master, you'll let us ALL know how being a guinea pig is working out for you!

Sincerely thanks!

-Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:45 am 
Founder
Founder

Greg H wrote:
Before I sold mine, I did successfully copy the PRIMARY DRIVE into an image (Now, take it, I was only using the ONE DRIVE included with the system) with GHOST, wiped the drive, and re-imaged the drive with GHOST using the image I'd created, and IT WORKED!!!!!!!

This ***WILL NOT*** work if you are using MORE than 1 drive!

Of course this worked, you ghosted an entire HDD and laid that image back down. However, you did NOT test ghosting just the C:\ partition, and laying that back down on a blank disk with 3 other disks in the system and see if that would work. And by your own admission, you know it won't work.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just don't want you misleading people into believing that Ghost is a reasonable alternative to Server Recovery.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:49 am 
Founder
Founder

lonewolf69 wrote:
Ok bottom line on WHITE paper, the whole concept gets a green light and I absolutely LOVE this idea, I trully do! It's just that I *KNOW* how I would react if the PRIMARY drive fails in the above scanario, I would NOT be able to rest, until I was able to recover ALL of the virtual drive. THis is additional stress that I really REALLY don't want to deal with...

Finally we get to the root of things. :D Trust me, I do understand this sentiment, and to be honest I don't have 100% trust in Drive Extender (though I do have very high confidence), MS has released some knowledgebase articles about issues with ADS, application folders, etc.

It's a new product, and I think it's only going to improve.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:51 am 
Founder
Founder

lonewolf69 wrote:
DustoMan wrote:
I think a better method would be to just put the 1TB drive in bay one and the 500GB drive in bay two and run the system restore. The system restore would create the system partition on the 1TB drive and the 500GB one should be wiped clean when you initialize it. It won't care about that initial 20GB partition on that drive since it should just clear out the partition table as part of the initialization process.

Great suggestion! Thanks!

DustoMan is right, just one clarification - You want to use the Factory Reset to wipe and reset the drives rather than Server Recovery.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:53 am 
Founder
Founder

Land Master wrote:

Factory Reset contains a pristine OS image, if you pull a Ghost prior to powering on your server you are wasting time and space. Factory Reset makes it EXACTLY like it was when you took it out of the box.

It performs a Quick Format of the disks, so if you want to ensure you wipe the disks clean, you could put them in another system and do a low-level format.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Finally we get to the root of things. :D Trust me, I do understand this sentiment, and to be honest I don't have 100% trust in Drive Extender (though I do have very high confidence), MS has released some knowledgebase articles about issues with ADS, application folders, etc.

It's a new product, and I think it's only going to improve.

LOL...! :)

Sorry, I'm long winded in RL also!!! I like building up to the point I'm making so people can see where I'm coming from. So if I ever get past my inhibition, the WHS will make a nice addition to my home network! Of course I'll then be needing a brand new GIGABIT router with JUMBO frames support too to get EXCELLENT data bandwidth... ;)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:43 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:

Factory Reset contains a pristine OS image, if you pull a Ghost prior to powering on your server you are wasting time and space. Factory Reset makes it EXACTLY like it was when you took it out of the box.

It performs a Quick Format of the disks, so if you want to ensure you wipe the disks clean, you could put them in another system and do a low-level format.

I just KNEW you were going to say this :lol:

Once again however in one scenario I am 100% sure. The other leaves it up to M$ft.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:06 pm 
Founder
Founder

Land Master wrote:
yakuza wrote:

I just KNEW you were going to say this :lol:

Once again however in one scenario I am 100% sure. The other leaves it up to M$ft.

Actually, it leaves it up to HP and MS, HP has to build the WHS image and produce the Server Recovery app and image. Of course that info only helps if you trust HP as much as or more than MS. :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:

Actually, it leaves it up to HP and MS, HP has to build the WHS image and produce the Server Recovery app and image. Of course that info only helps if you trust HP as much as or more than MS. :D

Funny you should say this. I just purchased one of HP's touchsmart PC's and am totally disgusted with the amount of "crapware" that came on it.

I have gone back and forth with my love/hate relationship with HP so I guess its about 50-50.

The HMS from what I have read though does appear to be an outstanding product. I will know soon :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:30 pm 
Founder
Founder

I too do not enjoy all the crapware delivered on HP consumer PCs. Fortunately the MSS is relatively crapware free, unless you just don't like the additions HP has made. :)

What do you think of the Touchsmart other than the crapware? I've gotten the chance to play with one and thought that it's pretty slick.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:43 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
What do you think of the Touchsmart other than the crapware? I've gotten the chance to play with one and thought that it's pretty slick.

I'll let you know! I just hooked it up last night :)

We are going to use it as a "family communication center" for calendar, sticky notes, PDA sync, ETC.

We have it on a counter in the Kitchen and will be adding a barcode reader for groceries. My wife wants to put all her recipes on it and I'm hoping to integrate the "food stuff" inventory so that as she need to make something it will let her know if she has "stock on hand". I saw a pretty cool portable reader that stores up to 150 items in memory but the reviews said their database was very weak. This is totally unchartered territory for me.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:02 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Ok, I'll just keep my discoveries to myself! :-)

What has worked for me for tinkering around with MSS might not work for others.

And since I dont own a MSS any longer (sold it), maybe all my ideas dont apply to MSS.

Someone commented earlier in the thread for me to BUY a SYSTEM BUILDER (OEM) version of WHS and work with that. That's EXACTLY what I am using now.

BUT, since alot of the software issues/forums still pertain to WHS, I will like to read and contribute (since our O/S is the same). just our hardware is not the same.

Concerning GHOST, I am still using it with a ONE DRIVE system. its a 1TB drive, I filled it up with data, and weekly, GHOST it to another drive, then use that one. but like I said everyone probably shouldnt use/try that if you are using MORE than 1 drive. It works for me, just might not for others! :-)

THX!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:26 pm 

DustoMan wrote:
lonewolf69 wrote:
Greg, Thank you for this confirmation, I knew in the back of my mind that is the FIRST thing I was going to do after getting the WHS just to ghost it from 500GB to a 1TB drive to get the max HD space on primary drive (launching pad...?). :) I was pretty sure (99%) sure that ghost would have been a no brainer... My concern is of course as you surmised is when I actually have data stored and the new share setup on the D: partition (Virtual drive)...

I'm confused, I thought that Yakuza had stated earlier that you could cause issues if you did this.

I'm in the same situation - I got my 470 WHS box a few days ago, have set it up, but have a 1TB drive arriving tonight - what is my best option for making the 1TB drive my primary drive? Am I going to have to reformat the 500 GB drive no matter what? Is there not a way to tranfer the data that i have on the 500 GB drive to the 1 TB drive before I restore?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next