It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: how stable are 1TB discs
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I still cant make my mind up over which extra discs to get. I feel safe with 500GB but cant help thinking that they will have to go eventually making way for bigger 1TB discs.
I'm just a bit nervous getting 1Tb discs, how many of you guys use them and how many if any have failed, it seems an awful lot of data in one basket if it fails. Are these big had discs any more prone to failure than their 500GB brothers?

thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:05 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

hermes wrote:
I still cant make my mind up over which extra discs to get. I feel safe with 500GB but cant help thinking that they will have to go eventually making way for bigger 1TB discs.
I'm just a bit nervous getting 1Tb discs, how many of you guys use them and how many if any have failed, it seems an awful lot of data in one basket if it fails. Are these big had discs any more prone to failure than their 500GB brothers?

thanks

ANY hard drive is prone to failure at ANY time . . . . . .
Lots of folks on here have used Seagates and Western Digital 1tb's
without any problem (as well as myself).

Also, surely you would NOT rely on 1 disk drive whether it be a 1tb or not for your data. Hopefully, everyone has a backup plan including another entire copy of all your data stored on ANOTHER drive somewhere.....

I have used 500gb's and 1tb's.......I am more a fan of Western Digital's newer drives because they run quieter and cooler.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:15 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Oh I meant I would have three 1TB discs as well as the original 500GB. Just a bit worrying that there are so big, but I would have others as well.
I hear lots of talk about the Western Digital Green drives but not much about the Seagates and read not to get the Samsung F1 discs, is that about right, whats are those Seagate discs like?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:52 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Greg H wrote:
I am more a fan of Western Digital's newer drives because they run quieter and cooler.

I agree with Greg on being a WD fan. When my MSS (EX475 with added WD 1TB, LE-1640 & 2 GB RAM) is idle it is the two Seagate 500GB drives that are the "hot spots", hotter than the CPU. More heat generally means more power and shorter life. On the other hand, they do have a longer warranty!

And, as said above, never rely on a single place to store data! (You can find earlier comments from me about my backup philosophy be searching for "paranoid" or "paranoia"..!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:27 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

mmm I knew you were a WB fan just have to be sure before I buy thats all!
I would never reply on a single disc, thats why I find the 1TB discs a bit scary lol
Oh and I will be doing a search to see what your post was John, thanks very much.

Thanks