It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:03 pm 

Have a problem with Server Recover on EX470 that I have been unable to find a resolution for after two days of re-installs, Googling, etc.

I did a Server Recover (not Factory) using V3.0 Upgrade with Patch 1 CD from HP. Everything proceeded smoothly until the install got to Server Setup. I got through the server name setting and password setting portion of the Setup but when it moved to Installing Updates it got to 51% then threw an error message (no detail - just something along the lines of "Server has encountered an error". Going back caused the update to try again, hit 51%, then same error. It doesn't hang, just jumps to the error. Of course at that point the Console and Connector get uninstalled.

I can RDC into the Server using the Server Name and Password I set during the Setup, but the Console won't run. There I get the "backup service not running" message. Reading a lot of posts I believe this message is a red herring. I believe the problem is that since the Setup wasn't completed it doesn't see the drives so the service doesn't run. I did a manual update using Windows Update of the 90+ required updates to no avail.

Am between a rock and a hard place. Can't get the console running to establish drives and user accounts but can't get console up without setup completing.

One other clue: The health lights are all steady blue, but the HD lights are flashing blue - 4 flashes, a pause, 4 more.

Is there a way to run setup from RDC that doesn't require the Connector SW? Any ideas on what my have hung up the initial update process and caused this (have re-installed twice with same result)?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 am 

More information after yet another attempted Server Recovery.

Looking at the logs the Backup service isn't starting because the Client Database couldn't be created due to lack of free space on the volume. I've seen other posts with this issue. I have 4 drives in the system (2.5TB) with plenty of space so this is another red herring.

However, I did see in the logs an error that D:\Public couldn't be created. That got me thinking...

For whatever reason, my main system disk has a C: and an L: partition. The other three drives are I:, J: & K:. I've read that after a Factory Install you should have a D: (DATA) partition on the main drive.

This was originally a V1 system so in doing the restore I am effectively upgrading to V3. Is it possible that the install is looking for a D: partition and when it doesn't see one it throws the "not enough free space" message and everything goes downhill from there?

If I RDC in and use Disk Management to change the drive letter on the L: partition to D: will that fix it?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 am 
Founder
Founder

I would not advise you change drive letters. The problem, as you've found, is that some error occurred during the Server Recovery process and the system is not set up correctly. You don't mention what led you to the Server Recovery in the first place, if it was drive issues then that could contribute to the problems you are seeing. If a Server Recovery isn't working, your safest bet is most likely to back up your data and do a Factory Reset to wipe the system and lay down a fresh OS.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 573697777f

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 am 

I initiated the Server Restore because I got caught in flashing blue health light limbo while trying to update the Logitech Squeezebox Server add-in. A completely separate topic, but upgrading this add-in has trashed my system 2 or 3 times - it doesn't do a complete uninstall and the new install almost always causes this behavior. A really poor add-in IMO, but necessary to use my Squeezebox. So I have successfully done the System Restore multiple times in the past but it has always been using V1.0. This is the first time I have tried with the V3.0 CDs I purchased from HP.

I am not the only person that has run into this type of problem. Spent most of the weekend Googling and reading forums but haven't seen a solution using System Restore. My understanding is that System Restore only modifies the C: (SYS) partition. The previous System Restores have worked OK with the (DATA) partition being L: so it appears that something in the V3.0 System Restore is different. I think the core problem here is the "not enough free space to create client backup database" which others have run into. I suppose I could delete the existing backups on the L: partition but if the problem is with the drive letter recognition that won't solve the problem.

What are the possible negative effects of changing the drive letter? Is there another way to resolve the "free space" recognition problem?

Another question: If I power down and remove all internal drives except the system drive and do a System Restore and the Restore works correctly when I plug the other drives back in will the data still be recognized by the server?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:15 pm 
Founder
Founder

If you muck around with the drive letters, you are changing the behavior of WHS and it may not be able to associate your data drives into the pool. I have seen others encounter this issue and do not know the reason behind it occurring. I do know that it is usually not a good idea to mess with the underlying WHS systems unless you know what you are doing.

Adding drives after the Server Recovery will not associate them with the pool, you'll have to format them to add them to the pool and you'll lose your data.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:46 am 

To recap:

1) System Restore completes and system is in the "breathing blue lights" mode after last reboot
2) HP Media Server SW installs correctly on client
3) WHS Connector installs correctly on client
4) Server Setup allows me to change Server name, create password and select update method
5) Server Setup then moves to update screen, starts the update process, gets to 50% then gives an error message. Going back just re-initates update process, which again goes to 50% and quits. Only option is to end Setup.
6) System is now in a state where I can RDC into the Server, but console will not start from there. Gives the Backup Service Not Running message. Can start Backup Service manually but it quits saying there is no work to perform so stops. There are no user accounts on the Server and the pool has not been rebuilt.

If no one has an answer for a system in this state I guess I am going to have to go to Factory Install. In reading the process for copying data from the DE\shares folders I see the following warning:

Copy this data either to the new server installation by accessing the server shares through the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on server or to another storage location. Do never target the file system of drives belonging to Windows Home Server directly (i.e. d:\shares)!

If I connect an external USB drive to the Server and go in through RDC can I click and drag the DE\shares folders to the external drive? I don't understand whether the "Do never target" warning means I can't do a simple file copy. There is no Shared Folders shortcut on my desktop.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:27 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I am having the same problem. I have the same symptoms/results as the post above.
I can see my shares and all my files are there but can not connect through the console. It's stuck on "installing updates on your home server....3%"
If I cancel setup, the server works but the drives lights are flashing and the console can't find the server. I did manage to log into the console once before I uninstalled and reinstalled the WHS connector and HP software and tried to update through there but the same result, it just hangs on updating.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:49 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yep, you mist complete the install and install the first client to finish the installation.
Don't forget f you follow directions with a direct connect then you can't access the internet for updates.
So you need to switch the connection over so it can find the internet to complete the install.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks