It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I recently noticed that my ex475 showed that one of my pc's had'nt been backed up for 85 days, I tried to manually back it up but shortly after the back up starts a failure message appears stating that the backup failed due to the pc rebooting during the backup. This is a reoccuring problem. I tried reinstalling the connector software on the pc and the same problem still exists. All other pc's in the pool seem to be backing up. Does anybody have any ideas? The pc is running w7 ultimate 64

PC 3 Win 7 & Linux Mint LXDE
2 x86_64 Notebooks Win 7 & Linux Mint 10

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:34 pm 
Founder
Founder

It's probably an issue with the PC, I'd run a chkdsk on it and look for errors in the event viewer logs on the PC.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:09 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I ran chkdsk twice and the event log shows the following...

and the problem is still present.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:42 am 
Founder
Founder

That looks like your PC has issues, I'd try googling on that error message.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:02 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yeah it must of had issues, I ended up re-installing the os. It turned out to be quite a mess, I tried using my WHS but for some reason I have not had any luck useing my mss for recoveries. Not sure if it needs a restore itself. When trying to use it for restores it can never be located on the network for some reason. It backs up pc's and functions fine as a media server though. I tried reinstalling the pc's os using the recovery partition and something went wrong during the install and it stated that I needed to re run the instalation, rebooted and some how must have corrupted the recovery partition or something. It would no longer boot into the recovery partition. Lucky for me I have a few retail windows cd's. Spent a while trying to repair with no luck. A few times during install the process would abort with a message that something may be wrong with the harddrive, I even had Linux Mint abort an install stating there was a harddrive error. I repartitioned and formatted and finally got a windows install to take but it's possible that the harddrive may be nearing it end on this notebook. I need to figure out what I need to do about the mss issue. I'm not sure if it is worth trying to fix or not due to it's age but it would be nice to be able to use it to restore pc's once again. The actual problem is when it asks for the server password during a pc restore, after entering password it returns with the server was not able ot be located on the network. When I try to manually locate it I get the same error using the server's name, even tried using it's ip address no luck I'm always stuck at this point andhave to exit. I can always contact the server with any other pc's on the network except for the one that is being restored.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:30 am 
Founder
Founder

Have you tried mounting a backup for single file restore, not using the PC Recovery CD? It's possible the backup database is corrupted or has issues.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Have you tried mounting a backup for single file restore, not using the PC Recovery CD? It's possible the backup database is corrupted or has issues.

No. don't know how! What exactly does that do?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

cbender wrote:

If you log into your WHS, you can go to Backups and select the machine in question. Right-click on the desired machine and choose View Backups. This will give you a list of backups on that PC and show whether they're successful or failed, and whether they're locked (default for manual backups) or auto-managed (default for automatic backups). Locked backups are never purged by the weekly clean process, and you can change a backup from locked, auto-manage or delete at next clean.

To restore, select the date of the backup, then click View Files. You'll be presented with a pull-down list of drives. Select the one you want and click OK. You'll get a progress indicator and a message to decline requests to reboot your computer. After a few seconds (or minutes), the progress bar will reach 100% and then that entire drive will be mounted as a local drive letter that you can navigate and pick and choose individual files to restore.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msawyer91 for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:50 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

msawyer91 wrote:
cbender wrote:

If you log into your WHS, you can go to Backups and select the machine in question. Right-click on the desired machine and choose View Backups. This will give you a list of backups on that PC and show whether they're successful or failed, and whether they're locked (default for manual backups) or auto-managed (default for automatic backups). Locked backups are never purged by the weekly clean process, and you can change a backup from locked, auto-manage or delete at next clean.

To restore, select the date of the backup, then click View Files. You'll be presented with a pull-down list of drives. Select the one you want and click OK. You'll get a progress indicator and a message to decline requests to reboot your computer. After a few seconds (or minutes), the progress bar will reach 100% and then that entire drive will be mounted as a local drive letter that you can navigate and pick and choose individual files to restore.

That's very close to how I have been doing things. I was not aware you could restore individual files. I have just been using the pc's factory method of re-installing the os's and copying the files I needed back to the os after the factory system was re-installed.

Thanks