It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:04 am 

Background : I upgraded to GSkill 2mb RAM and AMD LE-1640DP a year ago or so and since then I was plagued with network hangs, solved by power cycling off my EX470, and sometimes also my router to clear the network. Running the latest 3.0 with all patches. Minimal add-in include FanControl.

Long story short: We were tired of the network hangs as my wife sometime works on her laptop from home. So two days ago I reinstalled the original Sempron CPU as the network issue did not occur prior to swapping the CPU. Simple really as I have built dozens of PCs and was a very easy change, expecting all would be well, just a bit slower.

Now I get these errors: Symptoms are NO disk LEDs after startup (full red during boot but then go blank.) Health LED stays purple. Settings/Hardware show fans at -1 rpm, temp at -1C, voltage at .001V. The fans are spinning full speed and everything seems fine.

Event logs show a different story:
UpdateCPUInfo: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception:System.NullReferenceException
Message:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source:HpmssService
StackTrace:
at HpmssService.HpmssInfo.UpdateCPUInfo()

The volts33V voltage sensor is reporting -1 mV (it should be between 2970 mV and 3630 mV.)

The upper fan sensor is reporting -1 rpm (it should be above 600 rpm

I removed each drive, mounted to my Win7 PC and ran a chkdsk /r on all 3. One had a freespace mapping error and corrected. Reinstalled and same error.

So ... any suggestions?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:12 pm 

I have seen this before a few years back when I installed the LE1640DP which I refered to as a hit or miss processor. The real issue is that the HP MediaSmart Service is not able to load something I was never able to figure out. This causes all the Health indicators not to read properly and the LED no longer to function properly. I can also report that with the LE1640DP I also experienced issues with the LAN port but in part and in all fairness some or all of the issues I experienced were self inflicted in part by my misconfiguration of and EMAIL program which caused cause network connectivity issues accross my entire network.

Now I was able to keep the server functional without the HPMediaSmart Service running but to get rid of the errors which you are now seeing I had to edit a file to basically elliminate the temps, and voltage ranges used by the HPMediaSmart Service just to elliminate the annoyances. I also used the Alex's FAN SPEED CONTROL ADD-IN to keep my fans running fast. This was prior to 3.0 so I am not certain if what I did in the 1.x will work the same in the 3.x but I will be happy to look at an EX470 running 3.x which I do have running now. I also have other EX470's running 1.x I can compare against to jog my memory.

One thing I do strongly recommend you do is to copy the SMI files from the now exposed SMI drive which you can see if you make a Remote Desktop Connection to your server. You will need to set the server to display Hidden Files and Folders so that you can copy the entire contents to a safe location other than your server. Make certain that you do not modify the SMI area as its used when you need to perform a Server or Factory Recovery. Its the area which actually boots your server into recovery mode. The reason for making a copy of it is because if for some reason that area no longer functions you will have the option of creating a Bootable USB Flash Drive and copy the SMI Files to the Bootable Flash Drive which you will then have another means to put your server into recovery mode.

As I mentioned before I never could figure out a solution to the problem in why the HPMediaSmart Service was unable to load but I think I did one hell of a job keeping the EX470 Functional until I was able to actually replace the motherboard to restore full functionality back to the server. However losing the LEDs and health indicators although annoying does not mean the server will not function it just will not be as cool looking as it once was. Should there be a temperature issue with the processor the BIOS does have failsafe settings which will protect your server by shutting it down.

I will help you in anyway I can. I have experienced the issue you have so your not the first to go through this. It was this very issue which first brought me to this site and along the way I discovered a multitude of things that have allowed me to help and learn from others. One thing you shoud know is the COA Key on the bottom of your EX470 is a valid key and will work with WHS-OEM so you can build a server using that key if you can get a copy of WHS-OEM so all is not lost.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks