It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:58 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Another thread documents my route to getting my server back on-line after the internal NIC failed. I have now successfully installed a USB-NIC. At the same time, I had to replace my failed Linksys router with a new DLink DIR-655, so the server was never previously operating through the DLink router (which is working fine for all my computers, phones, blu-ray palyers, etc.). Using the new USB-NIC the server now connects with my DLink DIR-655 router which shows the server's name and assigned IP. The server can see the Internet and has successfully downloaded and installed a bunch of Windows updates. Reading that the DIR-655 doesn't have an internal DNS service, I added the server name and IP to the hosts file.

However, I can't connect to the server from any of the computers on the network. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the server connector software without success. I can't ping the server either by IP or name (which is being resolved correctly via the hosts file entry). I canping the host computers from the server. I can't connect to the server using Remote Desktop.

My sense is that my problems are due to some missing (or presnt and conflicting) setting on the router. I've found a bunch of threads that described similar problems and their solutions whcih haven't worked for me. So, I'm hoping that one of you has the same router and can tell me exactly what their settings are (any that change the default settings).
Thanks in anticipation!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:40 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi, just a quick one... Did you upgade the firmware? If you are in America the latest version is 1.35NA. That might help. There shouldn't be any special setting to make it work, even if you have a USB adapter. I own both like you EX470 and DIR-655 and all is working good without any special configuration. The only change I did is assign a static IP for the server. And you don't need a hosts file.

IP adress: 192.168.0.XX
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS server: DNS shown in your router
Auxiliary DNS server: 2nd DNS shown in your router
These are the only changes needed to be done on your server in order to use a static IP adress.

If you still have problems, I suggest you call D-Link customer service and they have good knowledge about their products.

Claude

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msdcinfo for this post
Loomer, Loomer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:40 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

msdcinfo wrote:
Hi, just a quick one... Did you upgade the firmware? If you are in America the latest version is 1.35NA. Claude

Claude: firmware on the DIR-655 is 2.00NA. It'd be nice to think they didn't screww something up in the subsequent version if it works for you but not me.

I've got the server set up with a reserved IP which is supposed to behave like a static IP in that the router will only assign it to the server (presumably by MAC address) when it requests on IP from DCHP.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:39 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Loomer wrote:
Claude: firmware on the DIR-655 is 2.00NA. It'd be nice to think they didn't screww something up in the subsequent version if it works for you but not me.

Then I guess you have rev. B hardware. 2.00NA firmware is the first firmware that shipped with the router. They are now at 2.03. May be a good idea to upgrade the firmware to the latest version to get all chances on your side.

Loomer wrote:
I've got the server set up with a reserved IP which is supposed to behave like a static IP in that the router will only assign it to the server (presumably by MAC address) when it requests on IP from DCHP.

You didn't say you rebooted the server, have you tried? Also try rebooting the router or even reset it to see if it will change the behavior. Before resetting the router, save your settings. If it does nothing, then my last recommendation would be to call D-Link. I called them in the past and they solved my issue. You paid for support in the router's price, so why not use it...

Claude

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msdcinfo for this post
Loomer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:32 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

msdcinfo wrote:
Then I guess you have rev. B hardware. 2.00NA firmware is the first firmware that shipped with the router. They are now at 2.03. May be a good idea to upgrade the firmware to the latest version to get all chances on your side.

You didn't say you rebooted the server, have you tried? Also try rebooting the router or even reset it to see if it will change the behavior. Before resetting the router, save your settings. If it does nothing, then my last recommendation would be to call D-Link. I called them in the past and they solved my issue. You paid for support in the router's price, so why not use it...

Claude

I've updated to 2.03. Interestingly, the router "check for Update" claimed it was up to date. No change. Everything has been rebooted multiple times. I'll try D-Link support. I'm encourage d by your description of them as helpful. My usual experience with a device to device problem is that each tech support will decide quickly that it's the other device causing the problem.

I realize (unfortunately) that the other variable in all of this is that the server is now using a Sabrent USB-NIC since the built-in NIC has failed. Dosn't help when trying to fault isolate the problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:01 am 

Loomer the static IP on your server maybe the issue. In another post viewtopic.php?p=85749#p85749 I had indicated the initial difference between your Linksys and DLink Routers where as the LinkSys IP is 192.168.1.1 and your DLink is 192.168.0.1 If the static IP in your server is 192.168.1.xxx it will not communicate with your DLink Router if its using the default IP of 192.168.0.1 and so the easiest thing for you to do is change the default IP on the DLink Router to be 192.168.1.1 and your server will resume normal connectivity and you will then be able to reinstall the connector software on your clients.

FYI: STATIC IP's:

By far the easiest way to setup a static IP is within the router itself. Most routers today including your DLink DIR655 has a featers to reserver IP Numbers for the various devices on your network. Setting this up is very simple and does not require you do do anything on the client, server or other network devices. This will allow full control of the DHCP functions in the router and keep all the IP numbers the same for all the devices on your network which makes things much easier.

If you keep a listing of all the assigned IP Numbers and later change the router you can reassign the IP numbers and easily get back in business sort of like one stop shopping.

Let me know how you make out.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Loomer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:09 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I use a DLink DIR-655 with an EX470 and have not had any issues getting it to work.
The other thing is your using McAffee which could be blocking access from the client to the server. To rule out McAffee you could disable both the firewall and AV portions to see if its causing the issue.
You can also check your Network Listing to see if the server is actually showing up on the client in quesion.
You do not actually need the console software to access the server so long as the client is using the same WORKGROUP name as the server.
Loomer the static IP on your server maybe the issue. ... By far the easiest way to setup a static IP is within the router itself. Most routers today including your DLink DIR655 has a featers to reserver IP Numbers for the various devices on your network.
Let me know how you make out.

So many moving parts!

Addressing your suggestions in order (and everywhere I state doing something on the server, it is using a directly connect keyboard and video):

McAfee is only on the server. No client on the host computer (using Symantec there). The McAfee notice was a balloon to the server-state icon on the SysTray which seemd to me to indicate that some form of messaging was going on between the server and the client. BTW, on the server I can now see that McAfee updated yesterday, so no more pop-up notications on the client. It is alo on virus protection, not firewall. Windows Firewall is alos off on the server...not anything I did, apparently the default?

The server is working fine through the router to the Internet (i.e., I can browse to web sites). It can ping other computers on the network, though other computers can't ping it.

It doesn't show in the network list on my Win7 systems.

On my XP systems, the server shows up in the workgroup in Network and Windows Explorer. When I click on its icon, I get a message to the effect that the name can't be found.

Under the old router, I did not use a static IP for the server, so nothing in it was (or is...still set to "obtain IP from DHCP") set to a staic address on the server. When I mentioned static IP, I meant I'm using the reserved IP feature you mention on the DIR-655. I did this because the DIR-655 doesn't do local DNS and (it seems to me) some WHS processes are linked to the server name. I've also edited the hosts file on the host computer so it can match the server name to the reserved IP.

I've most recently check on the server that the Sabrent USB-NIC has the same settings as the built-in, failed NIC--it does (which BTW, I periodically have tried to resurect by disabling and the reenabling it, without success).

I've also opened the Home Server Console on the server itself, and its only compaints are about the now long overdue backups for its former clients.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:58 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Per an earlier suggestion, I've now tried D-Link Support and had what I've come to believe is the standard call center level of support:
A lot of time spent with "is it plugged in" while I was trying to explain the symptoms in language which would be understandable by a technician, but not by someone with a question and answer flow chart. After about 20 minutes we got to the first suggested setting change in the router, to disable Advanced DNS (which, ironically, is now set by default in the latest 2.03 router software. I knew this wasn't going to work since the 2.00 software has this off and I had the connectivity problem then, as well. (Not) surprisingly, it din't work. At that point the support rep said then it must be an HP Mediasmart problem and I should call them. Really? There are a HUGE number of settings on the DLINK router and this was the only one to try. The rep also said words to the effect that the Advanced DNS change would make all other devices work with the router...which provides some insight into the level of troubleshooting. I aksed for a senior service tech...long pause and then the original rep had me try making a change in the firewall settings (no change) and then again declared that it must be a server problem. So much for DLink Support. I also asked the rep to check their knowledge bas for anything related to the Sabrent USB-NIC and from the lack of comprehension, I have no reason to think that either the server or NIC were looked up in any manner.

My next goal is to find someone who has a LinkSys router like my dead one which I can borrow briefly to see whether that works with the Sabrent as it worked with the MediaSmart before the NIC died.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

If the server has an ip address from the router and your hosts file is correct, I'm having trouble coming up with ideas on why you wouldn't be able to connect from your clients to the server. Have you tried unplugging the router from the internet and and then rebooting router, server, and pc? That should rule out DNS issues.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Loomer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:54 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
If the server has an ip address from the router and your hosts file is correct, I'm having trouble coming up with ideas on why you wouldn't be able to connect from your clients to the server. Have you tried unplugging the router from the internet and and then rebooting router, server, and pc? That should rule out DNS issues.

FLASH:
The McAfee firewall on the server seems to be the culprit as suggested earlier. The reason that I didn't focus on this despite the suggestion was that it's been on the server all along including before I had the NIC fail. So, apparently it either doesn't like the USB-NIC or the DLink router. I'll play with its settings to see if I can get it to ignore its concerns with the NIC or router. The suggestion to disconnect from the Internet indirectly got me to the solution because when everything was rebooted, things worked for a few minutes (pinging, console started to connect) and then would fail so I got to thinking about what process might take a few minutes to initialize and decided to try disabling McAfee on the server. After that, I could download the connector software from the server to install a fresh copy per earlier suggestion. Now 54% into a 6 week overdue backup on my main computer!

It is a lot easier (in fact only possible) to troubleshoot the server with the video adapter. Neither the new NIC or disabling the McAfee firewall would have been possible otherwise.

Thanks to you and all for their help with the new NIC install and then the new network/router configuration.

Thanks