It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:33 am 

Hello wizards,

I have successfully upgraded my EX475 with new CPU (including bios hacking described in this forum), memory and disks. I made the VGA cable with only VGA since I don't think I will ever need the com port, and the USB keyboard works fine so no reason for the PS2.

My config is now:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (Link: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/39/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_4000+_%28ADO4000IAA5DD%29_vs_AMD_Sempron_3400+_%28rev._F2__59W__CN%29.html)
Memory: 2GB
HDD: 2*2TB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD Sata 6Gb/s

My goal is to install the server with Linux and run the 2 disks as RAID1 (as fail-over).

Since I read about the trouble with the Gigabit NIC I decided to initially install without the RAID to keep things simple. I made a USB-install pendrive (with pendrivelinux.com) with the ISO (ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64.iso) and the install went smoothly all the way. (During installation the NIC was working and the machine got an IP from DHCP and used network connection for APT etc.)

BUT. After rebooting the NIC is completely dead! I cannot (with my limited Linux skills) get it to work. When I log in as root, I continuously get the message: "sis190 PHY command failed". Is it still necessary to do recompiling of the SIS190 driver as described in http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=657 ? I got the impression that this was fixed in recent Linux versions.
The funny thing is that as mentioned above, I am quite sure that the NIC was working during the installation process but is now not working any more.

Any good ideas on what to try.
(I am going to connect a USB NIC since everything is a bit annoying without a network connection in place.)

Regards David

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!