It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Marvell Driver Update
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:02 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I don't know but reading through the popular Homeserver blogs, a newer eSATA driver was once available on the Microsoft Update site. Was there an issue with the driver because it seems it has been quietly removed from the Windows Update site. I still have the original eSATA driver that is on the recovery CD.

I just updated the SIS driver and noticed an improvement in stability (not necessary speed). Would be curious to know if the "newer is better" applies to the eSATA driver as well and where I culd find it since it dissappeared from Windows Update.

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:55 pm 
Founder
Founder

There were lots of reports of issues with the Marvell driver update.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:50 pm 

I am new to the MSS, so is the SIS driver for the internal drives, and Marvell driver for anything connected via eSATA?

Smalldog

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:12 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yup, the Marvell driver is for eSATA.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:13 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Looks like there's a optional Marvell driver update when you RDP into the server and do a windows update.

Anyone installed this?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:31 pm 
Founder
Founder

This has caused nothing but trouble in the past, I again recommend against updating this driver.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yakuza Here seems to be an tutorial for the update. Not sure if this is the same one you said to stay away from or not. Figured Knowledge is power and I should share what I found.

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/11/ ... river.html

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:18 pm 
Founder
Founder

By running Windows Update manually (not through the Server Console) you can access non-WHS specific updates. When you do this, you risk the possibility of getting updates that have been WHQL tested for Server 2003 but may not (most likely have not) been tested for the MSS hardware or Windows Home Server.

Adventurers or those with problems with their eSATA devices, go for it! If you don't use eSATA, aren't having problems, or aren't willing to risk a Server Recovery then I would suggest not updating. A past release of the Marvell driver back when I was still at HP caused several members here to have strange behavior and failures on their systems, forcing server recovery, which is why I gave the previous warning.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:43 am 

I have an EX475 and a five-bay eSATA port replicator with four drives in it. I noticed if I run certain super-intensive operations (like trying to run PerfectDisk defrag) I'll get timeout errors on random drives. Since I can't imagine all four drives are failing simultaneously, I have to think there's something going on hardware/driver related.

To that end, I'm looking to update my Marvell driver to see if it fixes something and I'm looking for recommendations.

This thread (viewtopic.php?t=4675) mentions several different versions of the driver and that, as well as other places, mention version 1.2.0.57 works acceptably.

Would folks recommend 1.2.0.57? Or was there success with the later 1.2.0.71 version? The aforementioned thread wasn't too clear on which versions were successful and which weren't.

I will eventually be upgrading to the latest MediaSmart server software, which is a Server Recovery anyway, so if it doesn't work, then it's upgrade time. I just wanted to test the updated driver out before doing the upgrade to see how it fares.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I upgraded my marvel driver to .57 some time ago because of problems with my 4bay esata enclosure. Never look back.
After I upgraded to software 3.0 I had esata problems again, this time I upgraded to .60. 2 Weeks in and no problems. Perfect disk runs with out issue.
You need to install via RDP and after reboot RDP in again to confirm the change in driver. Any problem with the driver can be over come by rolling back from within device manager.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:24 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I always update the Marvell drivers. After conversion to 3.0 I did the update on Windows update and it was only 46. I had 71 on the old software but could only find 68 from the Asus website that I had saved in the MSS, so I installed that. It works fine. I have 4 drives in the Mediasmart Portmultiplier and have never had any problems with the Marvell updates. They usually improve the hot plugging capability of the port multiplier but that's about it. Never saw an improvement in performance.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:10 pm 

reviving an old post.

I'm having all sort of issues with my ex475 and Sans digital 4-bay enclosure with esata.
At one point long ago...I remember being able to use the esata port on the ex475. Drives would recognize, I could format them, copy files over to them, etc. This was 1.2.0.46 (the default driver)...and was fine but for one thing. DATA CORRUPTION!
even though it seemed fine initially right after copying files to it...some time later it would corrupt. Image files are distorted, video files are distorted.
This was through the esata port. I had thought the problem was with formatting the drive as exfat...but now I know better.

Since then,
Not sure how this happened, but I was not able to format any hard drive on the esata interface.
Windows would return with some kind of error.
So I've upgrade the drive to 1.2.0.57 (still can't format), 1.2.0.68 (I can finally format a drive and add it in WHS console BUT...data still corrupts after sitting on the drive).

Corruption scenario is:
- with v 1.2.0.68, format the new hard drive that's on the esata interface...add it to WHS console as a backup drive, RDP and share the new drive. Go to a different workstation and copy some files to it. File copy fine, and when you open them they look good with no distortion. Go out and get a coffee, come back and the same files are now distorted.

I can only assume it's the drive rebalancing or drive extender that's touching the files and corrupting them
Can anyone help?

Thanks