It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:06 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

ktd wrote:
*EDIT* I turned off duplication on my Mac share :oops: and restarted my X510. I could then create a 500GB TM on my iMac. :banana:

Cool, I'm glad you found a solution. I usually turn off duplication before making big changes to the server, such as removing drives. I've found it's not all that happy dealing with the big TM files either, so it doesn't surprise me that it was getting in the way.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:13 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Also theres no need to duplicate that folder. If you get a disk crash on your WHS you have all files on your Mac and it's a small chance you get a crash in your Mac at the same time. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:46 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

ktd wrote:
Also theres no need to duplicate that folder. If you get a disk crash on your WHS you have all files on your Mac and it's a small chance you get a crash in your Mac at the same time. :)

Only the current state and not the prior states can be found on your computer. It's fairly rare for me to have to go back and grab an old version of a file, but it is something I have done on more than one occasion, so having those historical backups are important to me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:30 am 

Cliff wrote:
jejagua wrote:

It would be nice if the HP Software informed you of such. HP support didn't assist me in troubleshooting the issue AT ALL, after multiple calls and emails.

Everything else MediaSmart related works in 64 bit on my MBP. Only have the problem starting (mounting) the Time Machine drive. I guess that piece of functionality has the highest vulnerability with regards to incompatibility.

My limited experience with HP support has not been positive and their support of OS X is at best uneven (my experience had to do with discrepancies in scan output between Windows and OS X scanning applications that were supplied with an HP all-in-one printer). That said, the need for 3rd party vendors to recompile 32 bit kexts is the reason why Apple defaults all non-Server OS X installs to 32 bit and this was discussed fairly widely when Snow Leopard was released. If a user makes a technical change to their environment like this one, it is incumbent on them to understand the implications of the change.

edit: FWIW, this support article discusses 64 bit kernel FAQs.

Similar problem not being able to create a TM backup disk on my MSS 490. Was working well with my old MacBook Pro under Snow Leopard, but I just bought one of the new ones this weekend. On my new machine the Apple System Profiler does indeed show "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes". I presume that my old MacBook Pro must have been using the 32-bit Kernel and Extensions.

So what now? I followed the threads in this post and saw that you can switch to the 32-bit kernel (re: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773). Is this something I should do once, simply in order to create and mount my TM backup on the MSS? Or must I stay in 32-bit kernel persistently thereafter?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:01 am 

This is about to become a much bigger problem for Mac users. As a previous user notes, the default kernel used in the custom build of Snow Leopard used in 2011 Macbook Pros is 64 bit. I have tried restarting my MacBook Pro using the 32 bit kernel (which does then allow for the backup disk to mount) but time machine backups eventually hang after about 15GB of 120GB.

I doubt HP is going to do anything about this (much like the completely broken Media Collector feature, which on paper is great) and I don't want to spend time faffing about with restarting in the 32 bit kernel if its going to hang mid backup, so I guess I am looking for a new solution for backups and media.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

YEah, went through this last night with my wife's new macbook pro. Finally discovered the need for booting into the 32 bit kernel, and then I was able to mount and use the time machine disk I created. I didn't have any problems doing the full backup then.

What a pain, and with HP abandoning the WHS market, I'm guessing they will never make this work for the 64 bit kernel. So, I too have been contemplating getting a different Mac time machine solution. Those Time Capsules are ridiculously expensive, (of course what isn't form Apple?). Heck, for that price you can almost get a Mac mini! Maybe get an Airport that you can plug an external USB drive in. Not very elegant, but...

I've almost weaned myself of from Windows completely. Hardly ever boot my win desktop anymore, and rarely use bootcamp or parallels. Wondering if I should abandon the WHS, since I don't need it for the Windows backups anymore. I do need lots of network storage and media serving though.

Also sick of the hpMSSAgent always hanging on these macbooks when trying to collect media. Other people have this problem

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:53 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

My guess would be that Lion will irreparably break the HP kext. HP has ended the Mediasmart product line so I would not expect any further software releases from them.

Microsoft has not incorporated support for Time Machine into Vail nor SBS 2011, so I won't be looking to MS for backup solutions. I kind of like Synology's 2-bay NAS (DS211), and filled with a couple of green 2TB drives it's still slightly cheaper than a 2GB Time Capsule. The Time Capsule has a wireless router, which I don't need since I already have 2 AEBSs. A DS211 with 2 drives installed offers a RAID 1 mirror for my TM backups, which is something I would like and which is not adequately supported via folder duplication.

I will probably throw a bunch of drives into my SBS2008 server and use it to host my media files and the iTunes client I run to support my AppleTVs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:37 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Dang, you are probably totally right about Lion. We'll most likely lose the time machine software for sure, as I doubt HP will be providing any updates. :evil:

So, time to start look for a new Time machine solution. Maybe it makes sense to separate this need from what effectively becomes my NAS storage needs. I just installed iTunes 10.2 on my WHS server last night, to better use the new Homesharing coming out for iOS 4.3. I guess I can keep doing that on the WHS and get a time capsule or similar.

Sigh..... I really wish the promise of this WHS and MAc extensions worked, as it would be a Beautiful Thing. Spotty Time Machine and media collecting are ruining it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:29 am 

I am running 10.6.8 of the Mac OS on a macbook pro and now my time machine won't mount anymore -- did a complete rebuild of my backups but now Time Machine can't find the disk even. Before it was attempting to at least back up and then failing. Any ideas on how to fix this? Separately, what are you doing as HP support moves away from this entirely -- are folks upgrading to the newest version of Homeserver and Mac OS??

Thanks!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank rgfcpq for this post
old blue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:27 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

My Time Machine broke with the upgrade to the HP software that came out last winter. After calling HP support (no help in the end) and trying lots of different things (none worked), I gave up.

I'm making a last try by switching to WHS 2011. Given limited time, it will take a while but I'm making progress and liking WHS 2011 a lot better than the 2003 version.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:06 pm 

:sanjuan:

Hello,

This is my first post, and hopefully many to the MSS forums.

I have an x510 DataVault, and love the product. I have many pc's that backup to the HP x510, including MAC's using the HP DataVault Connector Software for MAC to enable Time Machine Backups.

I have recommended this to many friends, however have become a little disappointed at HP's decision to cease product development, and further support for the ongoing software development of the console, and associated plugins.

Since the Apple OS X 10 Upgrade, I have wanted to upgrade, however cannot due to the aforementioned issues with this upgrade, and lack of support from HP. I have been on the phone to HP DataVault Support asking for any information they can provide on when an update may come out? The support engineer advised that there is no mention of any update for the X510 DataVault products, and a decision has been made by HP to discontinue development outside of the current supported Windows 7 / MAC OS X Tiger / Snow Leopard environments.

I encourage each of you to contact HP Support in your local country, and express your concern with the lack of development for this great product, and question what can be done to ensure that this product is further supported moving forward.

Regards,
Russ Keys.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:31 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Good luck with that. Not to be a pessimist, but I believe there is no chance of succeeding. I've moved on. Time Capsule works great for Mac backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My wife's iMac running snow leopard was doing fine with TM backups until last week. Now we get error messages that the disk on MSS is read only and cannot be fixed by OS.X.

I see the file size appears to be full. I thought TM was supposed to manage backups automatically, and drop older saves. I can't seem to resize the mac disk partition, which is currently set at 300 Gb.

I still only have the operating 1Tb disk in the server, but it's only half full.

any suggestions! As I planned to use this server primarily as a backup for both windows and Mac machines, this is really a disappointment.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The file may not be full. When you initially create the time machine backup, it creates a file on the server that is the full size of the backup volume you asked for. So, you chose 300GB, it would have immediately created a 300GB file (sometimes called sparse bundle) on the server to be used as the space to hold backups. So, you can't really tell how "full" it is by looking at the size - it will always look the same size.

I wonder if you had some sort of mac system update the past week that broke things. I would try a few things:

- Reboot your mac while holding down the 3 and 2 to make sure you are in 32 bit mode.
- Can you access the time machine disk to do a restore? Verify that at least that works.

Honestly, not to sound like a broken record here, but you may want to consider getting a Time Capsule to be used exclusively for the Mac backups, and keep the MSS for just PC backups and NAS. HP just doesn't support us anymore, so you are fighting a losing battle. It's not cheap at about $300, but it has saved me a lot of stress, hassle, and headaches to have something that just works. Plus, it gives you a second NAS and a router, (which may not be needed by you, but it's something...) If you don't wan't to spend that much on the time capsule, get a cheap external drive and leave it connected to the iMac and use that.

Best of luck to you.

old blue wrote:
My wife's iMac running snow leopard was doing fine with TM backups until last week. Now we get error messages that the disk on MSS is read only and cannot be fixed by OS.X.

I see the file size appears to be full. I thought TM was supposed to manage backups automatically, and drop older saves. I can't seem to resize the mac disk partition, which is currently set at 300 Gb.

I still only have the operating 1Tb disk in the server, but it's only half full.

any suggestions! As I planned to use this server primarily as a backup for both windows and Mac machines, this is really a disappointment.

Thanks