It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,
After updating the MediaSmart software on my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 I suddenly cannot connect to the Time Machine drive on my MediaSmart to backup my Macbook. I have tried rebooting several times as well as checking my Airport configurations and network configs. Is there something faulty in the update. I think it's version 3.0.something_b as far as the MediaSmart software is concerned. Perhaps I have to update the MediaSmart itself also?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:56 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

My EX490 has had the same problem for a few days. My Time Machine backup set is only a few weeks old, so I deleted / recreated it successfully, but can't use it for backups. The backup location won't start in the HP MediaSmart Server Manager after creation.

I suspect this may be caused by one of the following:

Apple Security Update 2010-005
or
MS Update KB979453 which occurred on 8/25 on my WHS.

I'm leaning towards the Apple update because a second Macbook Pro on my network hasn't had that update and backs up fine.

Please keep us posted with your progress. I'll do the same.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:11 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I read about this on Apple's Support forum:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 2#12171822

A reply in the thread pulls some shenanigans regarding backup location compatibility. Some possible fixes are cited, but I haven't tried them.

Looks like it's definitely the Apple Security Update.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jejagua for this post
markerline
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:47 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I contacted HP MediaSmart Tech Support. They had me follow some steps . .

step 0. Reboot your MediaSmart
step 0a. Check to make sure your MediaSmart has the latest version of the software/update.
1. Reboot your Mac
2. If the Time Machine still doesn't find your server, use Finder and select from the menu "Connect To Server...", type the name of your server if it isn't already there (smb://HPSTORAGE) to link to your Media Smart
3. Go To Software folder on the Server, choose the Mac software and double click on the ".dmg" file
4. Proceed to uninstall the MediaSmart application from the Mac
5. Reboot the Mac
6. Go back to that Mac Software folder on the MediaSmart and doubleclick the .dmg file again.
7. Proceed to reinstall the server client software (MediaSmart application).

Hopefully after this step you will be able to open the Time Machine preferences and connect to the server as your backup disk if the installation process hasn't done it for you already automatically.

hope this helps.

-markerline

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank markerline for this post
jejagua
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:45 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Unfortunately reinstalling the MediaSmart software on my Mac did not fix the problem.

I spoke to HP MediaSmart support this morning and they are investigating. They said they weren't aware of the issue.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

That's a surprise. I would have suggested calling them and seeing what they can tell you. Maybe you didn't provide them with enough details for them to provide a solution, not saying anything about your communication skills. But sometimes if they don't have enough to go on they might just respond the way they did. Or perhaps you got someone who didn't want to help, which is rare coming from HP support. The solution I provided you came directly from an HP support rep in MediaSmart.

Thanks  
jejagua
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:48 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

markerline wrote:
That's a surprise. I would have suggested calling them and seeing what they can tell you. Maybe you didn't provide them with enough details for them to provide a solution, not saying anything about your communication skills. But sometimes if they don't have enough to go on they might just respond the way they did. Or perhaps you got someone who didn't want to help, which is rare coming from HP support. The solution I provided you came directly from an HP support rep in MediaSmart.

No problem. I provided HP a detailed Mac config file from System Profiler. I have worked extensively in and around a call center, so it's not a communication problem. The HP tech I spoke to seemed competent enough. He worked the issue with me on the phone for almost 30 mins. On issues such as this though, they A.) may not have adequate case information, and/or B.) are not ready to acknowledge the issue.

My ticket was escalated to Tier 2 for further eval. In your case, you were provided a fix by HP. Did it work? You have Apple Security Update 2010-005 and can backup to a MediaSmart via Time Machine?

Thanks  
markerline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm not very competent in the ins and outs of the Mac OS X environment. I only know basic windowing operations but I can't tell you where to find which security update is installed. I guess I would find that somewhere in the System Preferences dialog windows. I can tell you that I have the latest version of OS X, at least I believe I do (10.6.4). It's a 64-bit environment based on a setting I looked at some time ago, though I wouldn't readily be able to tell you how I found that information. Perhaps I used the terminal and entered a command. I am not sure. Time Machine wouldn't even see the Backup Disk on the MediaSmart for some reason after I updated the MediaSmart software from the HP updater, so I had to uninstall and reinstall from the software that was located on the MediaSmart itself--preinstalled. From what I was told that version is even more up to date than the version that was pushed over-the-air to my Mac from the hp updater. After uninstallation, reboots, and reinstallation, Time Machine was able to see the backup disk again and I haven't had any problems since.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:56 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

To see which updates you have installed, do the following:

Open System Preferences (click the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen, select the fourth item down)
Click Software Update in the System section of the System Preferences window.
Click the Installed Software button on the Software Update screen.

If you have the update in question, one of the top items should read, "Security Update 2010-005" Version 1.0.

If you have the update and TM / MediaSmart work, then I will be interested to know your Mac model as the problem would appear to be model specific, however doubtful.

If you don't have the update, then your system has not prompted you to install it, or you opted out of it. I'd urge you not to update as it could likely break your backups.

Thanks  
markerline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yes, I do have the Security Update you described in your last post. It was installed 8/25/2010 .

I do not know the exact model of MacBook I have other than the model identifier which is MacBook Pro5,5 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor set (1 Processor, 2 cores). I guess the newer MBP's which came out recently this year are i3, i5, or i7 processors from Intel, right? I have the least expensive retail (not custom built) MBP that was available at the Apple Store.

Have you ever experienced problems with your smb connection over your network? In other words can your Mac see any PC's on the network besides your Home Server or do they remain invisible even if you try to connect with an IP address, registered user name and registered password?

I am not sure if this is even something that can be setup but is your Windows Home Server in the same workgroup as your PC's if they are visible?

Also, you're not running the beta version of Windows Home Server (codename VAIL) are you?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:02 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have no problems with access to shares, SMB, etc.. I can connect via network name and IP. The problem is in the MediaSmart Server Software, settings panel, where you Start the drive once created, for use with TM.

No beta software...latest release of EX490 MediaSmart SW.

No other changes to my configuration that I'm aware of. This machine got a fresh 10.6.4 image two weeks ago. Backups worked fine, but ceased after the Security Update. I have another mac on my network that doesn't have the update and it backs up fine.

Thanks  
markerline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well the MediaSmart is a Windows platform device capable of supporting Time Machine, although I have experienced a dropout in Disk recognition in the 495 and my previous EX485 where I had to take steps to get the Mac to see the disk again, usually by reinstalling the MediaSmart software.

I gather that there might be a better backup solution for you than the Windows based MediaSmart if all you have on your network are AFP Macs. If you have PC's I can see the point but otherwise you might want to look at something that natively supports Time Machine. Apple makes a RAID storage solution that you could probably use to back up your computers, RAID having the redundancy you need in case of disk failure.

Thanks  
jejagua
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:35 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Nope, I have a mixed environment, so the backup, which has been the utmost example of reliability for over a year will remain on the MediaSmart. Backups, in addition to the storage and streaming capability is what sold me on this server. Furthermore, I need a decent NAS Backup solution. Apple encourages folks to use their awful Time Capsules by engaging in foolishness such as this. Backups should be the last piece of functionality made difficult. Heck, you can't even plug a USB drive into an Apple Airport Extreme router and use it as a backup target in TM. How ridiculous is that?

Maybe it's just time to quit using TM and switch to better software. Regardless, HP will have to issue a fix if they want to continue advertising TM compatibility.

Still, I'm puzzled how yours is working after you installed the update. There's lots of others having the same problem as me.

Thanks  
markerline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:17 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have a linksys router and you can't plug in anything into it except RJ-45 cables. I don't think your issue is with Apple's Router. I think you just haven't found the right RAID storage device. Here is one you should look into:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/663768-REG/Apple_TX711VC_A_4TB_4x1TB_Promise_SmartStor.html

It's actually made by Promise Technology, a leader in RAID PCI controller cards and other solutions.

Also, you mentioned you reinstalled the HP client. Did you reinstall it from the EX490 that you have as I mentioned in my step-by-step procedure above?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:30 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Dude, your posts are really cracking me up. I'm not replacing my server for all the abovementioned reasons. Plenty of routers have USB ports for NAS, including Apple's Airport Extremes. The device compatibility issues with Time Machine are abundant and well documented.

..and as I mentioned in my first couple of messages, I did try reinstalling the MediaSmart software. I realize this is your thread, but No need to reply unless the topic returns to the issue at hand...which is how to resolve Time Machine not backing up to MediaSmart.

Thanks