It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm 

My wifes PC accesses and loads files and folders from WHS EX470 v 3 update a lot quicker than MAC via finder. Where does the problem lie? MAC OSX or WHS? I just converted all computers to MAC with exception of wires laptop. Not even sure I need a server anymore. The WHS has always been buggy with serving music on most devices I have connected. What works best for MAC? I don't think I want the MAC time capsule. Since I no longer need transcoding should I just get a NAS? All I want to do is listen to music through a receiver with a built in media player that will support FLAC and apple lossless. I also need the mac to access the server quickly. When I need to attach a file MAC outlook takes forever if the file is on the server.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 am 
Founder
Founder

My only thought is that Mac OS is known for a flaky Samba implementation which could cause slow network performance to Windows boxes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I had really slow transfer rates when running WHS v3 on an EX495. It was/is a lot better when running WHS 2011.

I've tried WHS v3, WHS 2011, bought a Mac mini server and have an external eSATA storage box that I've hung off either the WHS or one of my Macs. For backing up a Mac, a Time Capsule is by far the easiest way to go (I have one of those too).

I use iTunes for media as it's used to manage an apple TV, 2 iPhones and 3 iPads. I found it easiest to simply hook an iPod to my receiver to get music from the computer to the entertainment center. I've yet to get the mini server running well with the entertainment center (but I have not had the time to try very hard either).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

WHS 1.x is a Server 2003 variant, and uses SMB 1. Lion (and Mountain Lion) use SMB 2. This causes substantial slowdowns when traversing between Lion and WHS 1. WHS 2011 is a Server 2008 variant and uses SMB 2. Communication between Lion and WHS 2011 is very fast. Not as fast as a Windows client, but much better. You do lose Drive Extender in the process, but I don't miss it at all.

Thanks