It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've have always been impressed with my EX495 in m Mac-only home. However, with all OSX updates in the past year, I've slowly discovered that every Mac that has current OSX updates has also lost Time Machine backup capability. The EX495 still works fine as a NAS.

I have a the following, failing Time Machine backups:

1) Mac Mini Core 2 Duo running lastest Snow Leopard updates
2) Macbook Core Duo running latest Leopard
3) Mac Mini G4 running latest Leopard

ALL of these machines used to work and then started to fail last year. The ONLY machine that still backs up is a Hackintosh that uses a frozen, un-updated Leopard.

I haven't tried to reinstall the HP Client dmg (which I think would fail anyways). I've tried to do the Lion AFP fix in terminal with no luck. I've deleted backups and tried to recreate, w/ no luck. It times out with a network. I'm curious, has ANYONE been able to get Time Machine to work with the latest OSX (non-Lion)? I saw a few posts here and looks like EX495 and OSX is pretty much broken w/ no fix.

I'm considering just giving up and going Drobo FS or Synology but would prefer not to if I don't have to.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:25 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

oldskoolboarder wrote:
I'm curious, has ANYONE been able to get Time Machine to work with the latest OSX (non-Lion)? I saw a few posts here and looks like EX495 and OSX is pretty much broken w/ no fix.

I have three 10.6 Mac's backing up via Time Machine to an HP DataVault running WHS 2011 with no problems.

I can't back my Lion Mac's up to my own WHS 2011 server - yet :? I may just do freenas in a VM - the process seems to be well documented and fairly straightforward. I was hoping MS or the Mac add-in maker for WHS 2011 would step up and improve the AFP support in WHS. Very annoying.

And my 2nd Gen Drobo hates Lion - running latest firmware and drobo dashboard. Doesn't matter if it's just used for file sharing or time machine. Triple annoying :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:11 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Interesting because my friend's Drobo FS is working w/ Time Machine and Lion. He did have to implement some AFP fixes online to get it to work though.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

oldskoolboarder wrote:
Interesting because my friend's Drobo FS is working w/ Time Machine and Lion. He did have to implement some AFP fixes online to get it to work though.

Yeah, I have just the USB/Firewire generation 2 and it locks up with Firewire all the time, and USB... with USB a floppy drive was faster :(

Not very happy with Drobo. Such promise - but they never seemed to be able to deliver on performance.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Wait backup. How do you connect to the WHS console in a Mac-only environment with OSX Lion? Since upgrading to Lion, I've had zero access to the console and have had to do crazy work arounds like remoting in to another PC on my network and then login to the console. Please do share.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:53 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've been playing w/ the Drobo FS and seems pretty solid on Snow Leopard. TM was completed w/o a hitch.

I've been migrating data over from the EX495 to the Drobo FS and the write times the Drobo are pretty good. Much better than the EX495.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:39 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

the-oz-man wrote:
Wait backup. How do you connect to the WHS console in a Mac-only environment with OSX Lion?

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

EricE wrote:
the-oz-man wrote:
Wait backup. How do you connect to the WHS console in a Mac-only environment with OSX Lion?

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client

Thanks for the link, however, go one more step. I have no problem access the server through remote desktop. What I'm trying to do is access the WHS console. That's the meat of controlling the server for me. Am I missing something on accessing the console through the server environment???

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

You run the Console on the server via CoRD or RDC.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
the-oz-man
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:35 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
You run the Console on the server via CoRD or RDC.

Thanks Alex, but I beg for a little more explaination. If I run RDC, what path do I chose for the console? I'll need to research what CoRD is.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:08 pm 
Founder
Founder

The home server console is on the desktop of the server, once you're logged on just double-click the icon.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/05 ... -your-mac/

Thanks