It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:03 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I just installed the software on a different mac using the CD that came with my WHS, well it only installed version 3.0.0.b80, I was wandering how can I get the MediaSmart Server Software v3.0.2b120 for mac. Can't find it on the HP site at all.

Happy Thanksgiving

Rob

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:44 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

HP doesn't screw around when they discontinue support for a product. I made a copy of the software share on my new Synology box before I retired my EX490, so here you go. Hopefully supporting orphaned customers in this way doesn't violate HP's intellectual property rights.

Attachments:
HP Mss Client.part1.rar [4.88 MiB]
Downloaded 1020 times
HP Mss Client.part2.rar [4.65 MiB]
Downloaded 1040 times

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:17 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

cliff,

Thank you for the software. I just found out that it doesn't work with OS Lion. I can Authenticated but un able to push apply button Also I was reading your post on the synology device, I think you said in the post that you are running a VM of SBS for AD. Is that running on your Mac Pro?, If so how much space does that take up, I guess you keep your mac on all the time.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:59 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If you click the SBS link in my signature it will take you to the thread where I posted all sorts of detail around that server. It began as a physical server but starting on the second page of the thread I talk in some detail about the process of virtualizing it on top of a Hyper-V host running Server 2008R2.

The Mac Pro is overkill for my current needs and I may sell it after the Ivy Bridge CPUs are released and Apple reveals the next iteration of the MacBook Pro line. That is probably a good 6 months in the future so it is not a big priority for me right now as my current MBP is mostly doing what I need.

edit: FWIW I upgraded to Lion on both Apple machines since replacing the EX490 with the Synology NAS, and everything is working well. I want to migrate from SBS2008 to SBS2011 to solve some issues I am having with Exchange 2007 and with SharePoint 2010 (which isn't really supported on SBS2008). If I do that then it may be time to build out a new server that can take some more CPU cores and some more memory.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi Cliff,

You said your mac pro is an overkill, can you tell me why? reading it sounds like you will use a macbook pro? What is your setup now, I tried following all your post just to get a idea why the mac pro is now a overkill

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:46 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I bought it mainly to use as a virtualization host for Windows Server-based development environments. I am a DW/BI developer by trade and have been maintaining Cognos and Microsoft dev sandboxes. I was out of work for way too long (in 2008 I accepted an enhanced early retirement offer from a mortgage insurance company that subsequently declared bankruptcy), and I used these dev environment to help keep my skills sharp. I have now moved some of that off to VMs running on a dedicated Windows server, obviating the need for the Mac Pro.

I am also now engaged on a long term contract to hire opportunity that has changed my professional focus a bit to modeling/analysis instead of hardcore development tool work. With the introduction of 4-core CPUs to the MBP line and the ability to stuff 16GB of memory inside, the MBP has become a decent virtualization platform for a developer, and the Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPU is better suited to the secondary use of this machine, which is to run Lightroom and Photoshop.

Further complicating things is the potential for travel associated with this new job - I am engaged on a DW/BI project where we are rolling out new pharmacy software throughout the enterprise and that enterprise stretches from Washington DC to Hawaii. I have to travel with a company laptop (with ERwin, corporate DB connectivity, and corporate email) as well as my personal laptop. Dragging around two laptops is kind of a PITA...

I am waiting on the next round of product announcements from Apple following the release of Ivy Bridge by Intel. Both the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro announcements are potentially very interesting for me and my current needs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I guess upgrading to Lion kill the MSS I can't not login my server at all

Thanks