It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:19 pm 

Just got the x310 and configured it using XP. I have a Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6.6. When i tried to configure TimeMachine, i get an error saying i need to log into a Windows machine to add the Mac Share Folder. Does anyone know how to configure this? I looked every where on the home server and did not see an option.

Also, how can i find the server on a local machine. I tried using the name of the server and the IP but it doesn't find my home server. The short cuts that was created when i configured it, works. That is it. Please help

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:24 pm 

Logon to the server using the console connector software using that Win XP Client. Then you will be able to add the MAC folder to your Shared Folders and configure who has access to it and setup dulplication. Permissions to the folder will not take place until each client with access to it reconnects to the server. So in this case just reboot the MAC and hopefully this will correct the issue your faced with.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 pm 

Ok, thanks for your response. I thought, i will get an email notifying me that someone has responded. Anyways, i guess i have to keep checking in.

So, i got it to work. I actually did what you wrote before reading your post. :) Thanks again.

It's currently backing up now. It's going to run for a few hours. I'm still leaning the ins and out.

I have another question, I don't like to keep the server on if not in use. Should it remain on or could it get turn off from time to time? I don't want to screw it up. I purchased 2 WD Green Drives for lower power consumption. The other 2 drive are segates. Any thoughts?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:09 pm 

I am the absolute wrong person to ask about putting a server to sleep because I leave all my servers on 24-7 but then again I also have people who access them all hours of the day. Even if this were not the case I would still leave them on but thats my personal choice and one that I am comfortable with.

There is nothing totally wrong with turning the server on and off but it does put wear and tear on the components when it first starts up. Putting the server to sleep is a much better solution since its a softer startup.

Having said all that there are many who do like to have the servers and computers goto sleep during certain hours or hibernate when not used for a period of time to conserve energy. Some have reported issues with the servers not waking up properly or if they do wake up that the server does not go back to sleep. Because I have read about this but not really taken much of an interest in this area because of my habbits so to speak I would suggest you read the forum posts about sleep issues so that you can see what others have experienced and how they corrected the issues at hand. In the upper right corner of the site window you will see a cool thing called Site Search, just put in there sleep and see what it comes up with.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:20 pm 

Ok, i did noticed the difference from when turning on. It definitely sounds like it working hard to start up. I don't like the sound of that. I remember seeing sleeping issues. I think, i will just keep it on. I will continue to read about it. Hopefully, there are new fixes for the sleeping issues. I don't need to keep it running 24/7. No one is really going to access it but me for now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 am 
Founder
Founder

If you want email updates, you need to Subscribe to the forum or topic.

Some people have no issues with putting their server to sleep, though more success seems to be had with the Lights Out Add-In versus the built-in HP sleep functionality. I leave mine on all the time.

Thanks